Author Topic: NES CIC CLONE  (Read 34237 times)

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: NES CIC CLONE
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2013, 02:48 AM »
I'll be sure to try it out when it get released as I have quite a few tiny13 laying around
Do you have PAL NES? i should test avrcic with all types of nes, but i have only US ntsc  system

Offline JohnnyPhantom

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2013, 10:19 PM »
Just a question, debating if I'll get the famicon N8 or wait for NES version, will there be any differences in the two other than form factor? and any price difference?

THANKS!! YOU ROCK KRIKzz!

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2013, 11:11 PM »
I'll be sure to try it out when it get released as I have quite a few tiny13 laying around
Do you have PAL NES? i should test avrcic with all types of nes, but i have only US ntsc  system

I only have Canadian NES system which are NTSC.

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2013, 11:24 PM »
Just a question, debating if I'll get the famicon N8 or wait for NES version, will there be any differences in the two other than form factor? and any price difference?

form factor is the only difference. NES version probably will cost bit more, cuz nes require cic and huge size pcb, difference around 2-3 usd

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2013, 11:51 PM »
Would be cool if somebody may test this thing with PAL systems. I waiting for my own nes from ebay, but i have no idea when it will be arrived. I will test it more when cart pcb will be ready and when my pal nes will be arrived.
here what i have at this moment: http://krikzz.com/pub/support/everdrive-n8/development/avrciczz.zip

Offline JohnnyPhantom

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2013, 12:33 AM »

form factor is the only difference. NES version probably will cost bit more, cuz nes require cic and huge size pcb, difference around 2-3 usd

When you say NES will require a cic, what does that mean? as in, if I get the famicon version with the pin adapter, will it work just fine in my US/NTSC NES or will i have to remove the lockout chip or mod the system in some way?

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2013, 12:35 AM »
CIC should be already mounted in adapter

Offline JohnnyPhantom

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2013, 12:40 AM »
CIC should be already mounted in adapter

Wow! thats perfect!!

Now I just have to decide, Famicon version or wait for the NES.... grr.. I can't decide :P

Offline Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2013, 04:58 AM »
krikzz how did you learn about all the different retro stuff? i really admire your work, wished i could do the stuff you do :D

Probably a lot of internet documentation combined with a bit of reverse engineering.  I've built new things that way.  Although what krikzz does is wayyyy above my level haha.

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2013, 07:13 AM »
Just tested AVRCICZZ and it worked flawlessly. I was able to replace the crappy CIC stun circuit of an old pirate 60-to-72 pin adapter with this awesome CIC clone. Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 08:26 AM by SkinnyV »

Offline JimmyMz

• I am a Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2013, 05:50 PM »
removed
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 05:48 PM by jimmyemunoz »
Nothing for sale right now, but more stuff coming soon. Message me on this forum by clicking the envelope icon under my name.

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2013, 06:40 PM »
Here you go, it was an internal adapter in an old dead pirate cart that I was using as housing for a cool multicart.

http://www.skinnyv.com/img/adapter1.JPG

http://www.skinnyv.com/img/adapter2.JPG

Most of the component are part of the old stun circuit, they could be removed but I just cut the connection leading to the /Data out since I was just quickly testing last night. I had to tap directly on the edge connector as the pin were not connected to anything beside the data out.

Offline Grambo

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2013, 10:15 PM »
When you say "most of the components", do you mean all of the resistors, cap and TO-92s? I'm slightly confused about what's going on here. (It looks like PIN2 on the ATTiny13 is going through the PCB, into the data... in?)

I'm also a bit unclear on how you knew the pin layout for Krikzz's CIC as I don't see documentation anywhere. My experience with microcontroller flashing doesn't go incredibly deep, so maybe the answers are right in front of me, but I just don't follow. If you could enlighten me, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Very cool it all works though and that you've already found a fantastic practical use for it.

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2013, 01:22 AM »
Pin layout is found in the ASM file.

Pin 1 = Not connected
Pin 2 = CLK (Cart pin #71)
Pin 3 = LED (Optional LED feedback for region change)
Pin 4 = GND (Any ground point on PCB, Cart pin #1 for example is a GND)
Pin 5 = Data-Out (Cart pin #35)
Pin 6 = Data-In (Cart pin #34)
Pin 7 = Reset (Cart pin #70)
Pin 8 = VCC 5v (Cart pin #36)

No need for any components, the one in my picture were part of the stun circuit, an old technique pirate cart used to trick the CIC verification process (that kind of circuit trickery were defeated by Nintendo on later NES board revision and wouldn't work anymore iirc). I could remove them but chose to just cut the traces to save time as it was getting late. The AVRCICZZ will work by itself with no need for any extra components once programmed properly. Remember that you'll probably need to press RESET repeatably on your nes about 8 to 10 times the first time you boot your cart after installing the AVRCICZZ in order to set the region if it keep resetting.

Adding this to a third-parties 60-to-72 pin adapter effectively make them just as good as an official Nintendo adapter found in Gyromite card. Alternatively, you could also just use any regular salvaged NES lockout chip from a cart of your region and solder it instead of programming an AVRCICZZ but you would need to follow the official NES CIC pinout for that (Can provide info if somebody is planning to go that route).
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 01:43 AM by SkinnyV »

Offline Grambo

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2013, 01:35 AM »
Aha, I get it now. Sorry, I'm not familiar with ASR files and OSX doesn't have the extension associated with any program. All makes sense now, that was definitely the source of my confusion.

Cool stuff, thanks.