Author Topic: Need help from someone with an AV Fami and an expansion style controller  (Read 4063 times)

Offline bozo55

• View Profile
I have 2 famicoms.  One regular and one AV Fami.

On Mario 3 (using latest everdrive software), the expansion controller automatically hits to the right on a seemingly random basis.  It happens a lot though.  This only happens on the AV Famicom, with both my Hori Pad and my ASCII stick.  On my original Famicom, it does not have this problem.

Can someone test Mario 3 with their controller and see if Mario keeps trying to go right on the World 1 Map?  Again, you will need an everdrive, AV Famicom, and expansion controller to test.  Thanks. 

P.S.  I can't get the problem to happen on the controller test ROM.  All Mario 3 ROMs have this problem, (US, US with save hack, Japan).  Wondering if this is an everdrive issue or an AV Famicom issue.  I'm going to try to buy a Japanese Mario 3 to find out.

EDIT: I ordered a Mario 3 off fleabay.  So if no one is able to test this, I'll run a test on the AV Fami with an original Cart.  If the problem still persists then it's safe to say it's either a problem with my AV Fami or an incompatibility with Mario3/AVFami/Expansion controller combos.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 12:10 AM by bozo55 »

Offline Xan

• View Profile

Offline bozo55

• View Profile
Could it be related to this: http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?t=4116

Thanks for the reply!

That was an interesting read, albeit a bit too dense for my feeble mind.

So it happens on some hardware revisions and not others? 

Offline Xan

• View Profile
Yeah, seems like it. There is a test program in that thread, maybe try running that on your different systems to verify which consoles are affected?

Offline bozo55

• View Profile
Yeah, seems like it. There is a test program in that thread, maybe try running that on your different systems to verify which consoles are affected?

I tried running some of those test apps on my CPU-02 AV Fami and CPU-07 Famicom.  I had trouble interpreting the results, which seemed the same on both consoles.

I then thought to myself, what is it that could cause it to work fine on the Fami but not the AV Fami?  Well, I said to myself, the main controllers are hardwired to the console so they're always connected... So I plugged in a standard NES-004 controller into the P1 socket of the AV Famicom.  Once I did that, the phantom button presses to the right went away :) 

Happy days.  Thanks for your help Xan.  I can't believe I didn't think of something so simple before, but I didn't have spare consoles and expansion controllers to test with.  Now that I do, I suppose it dawned on me more easily.

Offline Xan

• View Profile
If that's the case it might be as simple as dirty/bad contacts on these controllers, or some other hardware defect. For curiosity sake I ran nocash's test program on my own CPU-04 NTSC NES with RP2A03E CPU and RP2C02E-0 PPU, and it produced fails on "PPU read with DMC", "palette read mono-mode" and "palette read color-mode". This test needs the "reset to game" option set to on for Everdrives btw.

Offline bozo55

• View Profile
If that's the case it might be as simple as dirty/bad contacts on these controllers, or some other hardware defect. For curiosity sake I ran nocash's test program on my own CPU-04 NTSC NES with RP2A03E CPU and RP2C02E-0 PPU, and it produced fails on "PPU read with DMC", "palette read mono-mode" and "palette read color-mode". This test needs the "reset to game" option set to on for Everdrives btw.

I also ran that test and got the same results.

I don't think it's a contact issue. During my testing I was plugging and unplugging the p1 controller and found the results 100 percent consistent. 

I think the reason this happens is that those expansion controllers were made long before the AV fami existed.  They were never designed to operate on the expansion port without the stock controllers being connected.

I was thinking of validating this by disconnecting the famicom controllers but I was reluctant to open it up again.

Offline leoncrise

• View Profile
The Extension Port is 3P & 4P, the controller hardwired to the console is 1P & 2P;

Most games support 3P & 4P to do the job of 1P & 2P;But some games only support 1P control 1P, Nintendo's first party games is a good example.