Author Topic: Strange issue with mystery GBA SP  (Read 2172 times)

Offline Xan

• View Profile
Strange issue with mystery GBA SP
« on: September 22, 2015, 04:32 PM »
So I have this Arctic Blue AGS-001, that's what the sticker on the case says anyway... it's actually an AGS-101 in terms of functionality, with the backlit screen and two brightness settings. The issue is that sometimes I need to flick the switch 2 or 3 times before it turns on. Is this just the switch being dirty on the inside or could it be a sign of some sort of cap failure? The unit does work perfectly fine otherwise.

There is a warranty seal on the inside with Nintendo written on it so this could possibly be a unit refurbished by Nintendo themselves, though it's weird enough they would have put AGS-101 guts into an AGS-001 case apparently...

Offline Hanafuda

• View Profile
Re: Strange issue with mystery GBA SP
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 09:17 AM »
Clean out that switch. Take off the back plate and spray that power switch with contact cleaner. Work the switch a few times while the cleaner's still wet (evaporates quickly). Clean your shoulder button microswitches too while you're at it, since you're in there. Be careful of the shoulder button small parts (pin, spring) when reassembling. Betcha everything works like new when you're done.

I can give a more detailed description later if this sounds scary to ya, but its bedtime here. This is the stuff you need. Used to be you could just run out to the Radio Shack, but probably need to order online now. Some people might say use rubbing alcohol ... if you do, make sure to use the 90% stuff.

link