Author Topic: EDN8 OS V13  (Read 23854 times)

Offline Great Hierophant

• View Profile
Re: EDN8 OS V13
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2015, 07:51 AM »
One thing to be noted is that the NES HDMI board by kevtris does fiddle with the timing of NES CPU and PPU.
HDMI is very finicky and really only accepts 60p sharp, the NES likely emits somewhere around of 59.8.
Old CRT TVs didn't care much for the small difference, new TVs via composite do full framebuffer so it doesn't matter but the NES HSMI board does not do that and accelerates CPU and PPU to enforce 60p, this in turn changes a little some timings albeit I doubt it would matter much for the N8.

The true NES frame rate is 60.098fps, and the Hi-Def NES board underclocks the CPU and PPU to get a whole 60fps to eliminate compatibility issues based on frame rate.   No one is going to notice the .16% difference between the two frame rates. 
Check Out My Vintage Video Game & Computing Blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/

Offline James

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2015, 08:52 PM »
Other games are working fine. It's just the Everdrive that doesn't work for me... and a repro of Legend of Link, but the MMC5 issue is already well-known at this point.

When I switch on the console I get a screen full of menu garbage instead of a grey screen though, as was the case with earlier OS versions. So the update did something in that sense. It just didn't make the Everdrive functional, unfortunately.

I am also having the same issues with my Everdrive N8 on my Analongue Nt... I get a screen full of garbage. It didn't work with Version 3 (although it did load the menu screen) and it doesn't work with the latest Version 13.

Offline phoenixdownita

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2015, 08:58 PM »
One thing to be noted is that the NES HDMI board by kevtris does fiddle with the timing of NES CPU and PPU.
HDMI is very finicky and really only accepts 60p sharp, the NES likely emits somewhere around of 59.8.
Old CRT TVs didn't care much for the small difference, new TVs via composite do full framebuffer so it doesn't matter but the NES HSMI board does not do that and accelerates CPU and PPU to enforce 60p, this in turn changes a little some timings albeit I doubt it would matter much for the N8.

The true NES frame rate is 60.098fps, and the Hi-Def NES board underclocks the CPU and PPU to get a whole 60fps to eliminate compatibility issues based on frame rate.   No one is going to notice the .16% difference between the two frame rates.

Humans no but code does.
Assume a programmer used every cycle available during vblank, the underclock would make not all of his code run anymore (as it has lost .16% of it).
That .16% per frame at 1.79MHz of CPU is around 49 cycles.
Depending on how the code was written you can experience different issues:
if those 49 extra instructions were necessary then the game would likely lock, if instead those extra 49 were used to calculate say game AI, you'll notice it slows down a little, not much etc...etc...

I doubt it is the cause of the glitches reported I am just saying that even just 49 cycles per frame do make a difference.
If the game AI is cumulative, that is it runs on Vblank in incremental fashion for example, then each 6 seconds it is 1% slower. This drift would accumulate over time, in 1 minute now you get 10% difference among the 2.
Again I don't think it is the cause of the glitches, and I doubt many games were so sensitive to such changes [but some may].

Offline hunterk

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2015, 02:20 AM »
Other games are working fine. It's just the Everdrive that doesn't work for me... and a repro of Legend of Link, but the MMC5 issue is already well-known at this point.

When I switch on the console I get a screen full of menu garbage instead of a grey screen though, as was the case with earlier OS versions. So the update did something in that sense. It just didn't make the Everdrive functional, unfortunately.

I am also having the same issues with my Everdrive N8 on my Analongue Nt... I get a screen full of garbage. It didn't work with Version 3 (although it did load the menu screen) and it doesn't work with the latest Version 13.
I just got my N8 from Stoneage Gamer and I get garbled menu garbage with no SD card and green screen with v13. I haven't tried v3 yet but came here to try and figure out if others were still having issues or if my N8 was bad, since the symptoms appear to be the same.

Offline fys

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2015, 09:00 PM »

I just got my N8 from Stoneage Gamer and I get garbled menu garbage with no SD card and green screen with v13. I haven't tried v3 yet but came here to try and figure out if others were still having issues or if my N8 was bad, since the symptoms appear to be the same.

I'm not sure if you're joking or not, but even if it's fully functional it will boot to garbled screen without an SD card in it.

Offline hunterk

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2015, 10:31 PM »
Nope, not joking. :)

I booted without the SD because that was mentioned in another thread as something that should show an error rather than the garbled mess. Is this not correct?

So, assuming garbled mess is normal with no SD, is a blank green screen something that would happen under any normally functioning circumstances? e.g., improper OS file setup, etc? I'm basically getting the behavior described here: http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=3445.0 which could indicate a defective N8 but I wanted to verify before sending it back, since the behavior on Nts is known to be a work in progress.

EDIT: I tried reformatting the card a couple of times as fys suggested earlier in the thread but didn't see any change.

EDIT2: I made a post in the N8 subforum to avoid derailing this topic with (possibly unrelated) tech support issues.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 06:21 AM by hunterk »

Offline leonquest

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2015, 01:54 AM »
Everdrive64 V3 - SD2Snes rev. f - Everdrive N8 fami - MegaEd X3 - PS IO

On my wishlist:
Everdrive GBA - EDGB X3 - Saturn Satisfier