Author Topic: Commando not working  (Read 4444 times)

Offline Majestic_Lizard

• View Profile
Commando not working
« on: March 19, 2013, 06:44 AM »
Note: During the same few days that I tested Commando, I tested hundreds of other US NTSC Roms. Commando was THE ONLY one that did this. I also researched Commando and found that it is one of the most bug ridden NES games ever made, so it should be no surprise that it did not work. It also appears that on some consoles Commando does work (it doesn't crash on SkinnyV's system).

http://youtu.be/IdiNz1ICelk

If I seem a little annoyed in the video, it is because my camera battery kept dying. What you are seeing is about the fifth attempt at shooting the video.

Llet me state here that these roms all have a heading of iNES mapper 2, which is the mapper they are supposed to be using according to the bootgod database.

Here is a link to the bootgod entry:
http://bootgod.dyndns.org:7777/profile.php?id=478

I just found that Commando is not working. You start the game and it will freeze after playing for a little while. This game just doesn't work on the Everdrive N8 (YET).

I've added this to the bug thread, but thought I'd start a unique thread to get feedback about the issue also.

I've tested about fifty roms today. Fortunately, this is the only one I've run into that is having a problem so far.

This is on a US NTSC NES.

Same thing happens on the FC Twin Famiclone and Retron 1 Famiclone.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 05:16 AM by Majestic_Lizard »

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
Re: Commando not working
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 07:33 AM »
Work ok with some minor screen jerking every once in a while. I was able to finish the first 2 stage on my north american NES without any freeze but there is definitely something going on because of the screen and sprite jumping/jerking every once in a while.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 09:45 AM by SkinnyV »

Offline Majestic_Lizard

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 09:50 AM »
I am seeing something in the bootgod database that does not correspond with the mapper settings.

It says SRAM 8KB, yet the mapper settings I see don't list that...

...wait, yeah I see it now. It is in the mapper settings.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 09:54 AM by Majestic_Lizard »

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 09:55 AM »
It is 8k of Chr RAM and I can see it in the screenshot you posted so it shouldn't be the issue.

Offline Majestic_Lizard

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 10:03 AM »
It is 8k of Chr RAM and I can see it in the screenshot you posted so it shouldn't be the issue.
You're right.

On the NES.dev site there is a statement that Commando is one of the most buggy games released on the console.
http://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/Game_bugs

« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 10:31 AM by Majestic_Lizard »