Author Topic: N8 & ENIO project  (Read 10821 times)

Offline magnus87

• View Profile
N8 & ENIO project
« on: February 14, 2013, 01:50 AM »
Hi Krizz!

I have only one question.

is ENIO adapter compatible with Everdrive N8?

Can I use Famicom Basic?

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
Re: N8 & ENIO project
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 01:58 AM »
It's up to the software running to be compatible with it, Everdrive doesn't have anything to do with it unfortunately. It will work if you run an homebrew or apps that make use of it but it would need to be running on a Nintendo and not a Famicom.

Edit: I think it work also on the famicom, It plug in the expansion plug used for extra peripheral at the front.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 04:34 AM by SkinnyV »

Offline stonie

• the red eye'd mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 02:06 AM »
thats really interesting, it also says that it allows Fds audio without a hardware mod lol

edit: after looking into it more, the guy isn't selling hte cpu for online play atm, and it converts the exp part to run fds audio(using a 47k resister) AND lets you using the japanes 15 pin exp port so you can connect teh basic keyboard and other things that the port let you use, i'm sure you could use this on teh everdrive for that reason with jp games that work with it.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 04:34 AM by stonie »
flashcarts- acecard 2i, everdrive md, everdrive n8, cyclo ievolution

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 04:33 AM »
Well, he just added a resistor on his PCB negating the need to add it yourself.

Offline JimmyMz

• I am a Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 05:39 PM »
removed  :-X
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 05:13 PM by gone »
Nothing for sale right now, but more stuff coming soon. Message me on this forum by clicking the envelope icon under my name.

Offline stonie

• the red eye'd mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 10:37 PM »
i decided this board is worthy off the fact that idk how long my nes will last, i took it apart the other day and yanked off the 72 pin connector, that thing looked brand new, but the part of the board it connected to has a pin out that looked like it seen better days, i took some sand paper and sanded off most the burnt out part off and it works right now but i doubt that will last forever. it looked like someone sanded that part already in the past(posibly when the connector was replaced) so i didn't want to sand it out completely because i felt like i was going to wear it down too much

Offline magnus87

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 03:52 PM »
thats really interesting, it also says that it allows Fds audio without a hardware mod lol

Yes It is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWro-RsDG8s&list=LLs

Offline sammargh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 08:27 PM »
Family BASIC does not work with the N8. You would need the actual cartridge to use it unless KRIKzz implements the proper mapper support which will be rather complicated since it uses mapper 0 and likely KRIKzz did not include support for PRG RAM on mapper 0 since Family BASIC is the only game on the mapper that does AFAIK

Aside from that, if it did load then that board would work fine with the NES as the expansion port provides each pin necessary for the 15 port connector on Famicom.

Offline stonie

• the red eye'd mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 09:19 PM »
i can confirm that the enio exp board does indeed work with vrc6 and fds sound. i got it for that reason because i don't think my nes will hold out much longer and didn't want to have to hard mod two of them lmao. there is other things that the 15 pin connector works with though but i can't confirm if they work wiht the n8 or not, like the 3d system, i beleive the fc zapper was used by the 15 pin, probly their multi-tap as well.

Offline sammargh

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 09:47 PM »
It works with a multitude of things! Some add-ons are the zapper as you stated which is stupid expensive but looks really cool. There's also a hori joy card and commander which were pads that could plug into the port and be used as P1 or in some games such as moero twinbee used to control a third player. There was a multitap for famicom by hori but it wasn't adopted and maybe 4 games support it. It was more popular in Japan to do a 3 player game versus a 4 player game.

There's also an arkanoid controller, some quiz game controller, karaoke addons, modems, etc.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 02:49 PM »
Family BASIC does not work with the N8. You would need the actual cartridge to use it unless KRIKzz implements the proper mapper support which will be rather complicated since it uses mapper 0 and likely KRIKzz did not include support for PRG RAM on mapper 0 since Family BASIC is the only game on the mapper that does AFAIK
I think there was a patch that converts Family BASIC to VRC7 mapper among other things. You'll have to google it though. We'll have to wait for VRC7 support as well.

You can still use the Family Keyboard for games like Excitebike to save your tracks in DESIGN mode.

Offline sammargh

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2013, 05:41 PM »
I think there was a patch that converts Family BASIC to VRC7 mapper among other things. You'll have to google it though. We'll have to wait for VRC7 support as well.

You can still use the Family Keyboard for games like Excitebike to save your tracks in DESIGN mode.

Correct. However you could use FDS Vs Excitebike which has built-in saving :)

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2013, 06:44 PM »
Yes, there are other games that saves with the keyboard as well though. But Family BASIC is of course the main reason to have a keyboard.

Offline Chykn

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2013, 03:58 PM »
Hi everyone, just came across this thread.  There's something that needs to be clarified.  The ENIO EXP board needs a jumper wire soldered to it in order to write data to the Famicom Data Recorder.

When I designed the EXP board, all the documentation I found on the Famicom EXP port simply said "Audio" on the audio signal.  I thought this was an Audio In for some peripheral I'd never heard of.  The second resistor on the EXP board ties the FC EXP "Audio" signal to "Audio In".  Needless to say, this was incorrect.  That's why only the first batch I sent out had both resistors populated.

In order to make it work with the Family Data Recorder, you need to solder a jumper wire from the left pad of R2 to pin 2 on J5.  That will pass the Audio out signal through to the FC EXP port.  The Family Keyboard patches this signal through to the Family Data Recorder for writing data to the tape.

After I realized the mistake I'd considered soldering the jumper wire to all boards before sending them out.  However, I'm not aware of anyone actually using it with a FDR.  I didn't want to put an untested patch on the boards.

If you have one of the first batch that had both resistors populated, you MUST remove R2 (the one on the left next to J6) before adding the jumper wire.  Otherwise you'll be looping Audio Out to Audio In.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 04:06 PM by Chykn »

Offline stonie

• the red eye'd mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2013, 05:20 AM »
sup chykn you know i fitted that plastic peice to hide your exp board lmao