Author Topic: Amstrad GX4000 question  (Read 3965 times)

Offline Retrografx

• View Profile
Amstrad GX4000 question
« on: October 25, 2015, 08:02 PM »
I just picked up an Amstrad GX4000 and am having trouble getting it run run on my TV. It is a PAL system and I am in the states using NTSC TV. the system does power on with original European style power plug, using American plug adaptor. I tried the RF cable provided, though it didn't fit in my NTSC tv, so I tried my NES RF cable and it fits console though won't supply image to tv... I ordered a SCART to AV cable, though it hasn't arrived yet.

Does anyone know of any easy way to get this system running with US power standards and NTSC TV? A detailed step by step would be greatly appreciated...

Offline zstandig

• View Profile
Re: Amstrad GX4000 question
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 01:03 AM »
the channel might be different, but you mentioned a plug adapter, you can't just use a plug adapter like the kind you might use when traveling, it has to account for voltage too. So, in US we use 110v, and in EU they use 220v.

What you need is a 'step-up' converter.

Offline phoenixdownita

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 05:44 AM »
In order to see the GX4000 you either need a PAL to NTSC converter for composite via HDMI perhaps, or if you go full blown RGB you need an RGB to HDMI converter at that point.
There are quite a few pretty cheap converters (35US$ or alike) that do AV/SVideo to HDMI and support NTSC/PAL, quality isn't stellar but it's alright.
I have not tried the cheap RGB to HDMI converters so I can't speak for those, but I do have an XRGB Mini and it works fine via RGB for the GX4000.

My GX4000 arrived with the wrong Scart to Composite cable, in reality the cable was for the opposite (Composite to Scart), I had to open it and rewire it to make it to work, just 1 wire if I remember, it's been a while.

In general in NTSC land there's almost no PAL compat on TVs, so RF is out of the question.

As per power I suggest you buy a 9V power supply of 1A (at that point an US version of it would be just fine), if you even dare to use the GX4000 flash cart (C4CPC is the name) it will fry the original power adapter as it barely had enough to power the console.

Offline Retrografx

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 02:21 AM »
Thanks, everyone for your input. I received the step up/down converter and my SCART RGB today, and the system works. Turns out those were the only things I needed to get it going.

Though I think there maybe an issue with the power going to the controller. The up down and 1 & 2 buttons work fine but the left right don't seem to work right, they will go to the left right but seems to take a long time? Is this just an issue with the system or another problem?

I only have the one game Burnin Rubber. So if no way to test it further

Offline gsxrboy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 04:51 AM »
I think Burnin Rubber is a very slow uptake on the controller, I believe mine is as slow to react as yours on that particular game. Other games, from memory, are better.