Author Topic: Hi-Def NES and V13 Green Screen SOLVED!!!!  (Read 16551 times)

Offline wolfman011

• View Profile
Hi-Def NES and V13 Green Screen SOLVED!!!!
« on: October 30, 2015, 06:17 AM »
So for Kevtris Hi-Def Nes, the E8 OS V13 only gave me a green screen and OS V12 and before gave a garbled screen.  Any version, no menu would load.  Kevtris released an update today as a .nes file to fix the Everdrive problem along with other fixes, however you need the everdrive to load the ROM update. (I don't have equipment or skill for EPROMS). I thought I was stuck in limbo, but by accident I got the Everdrive to work!!

Here's the solution.  Unplug your HDMI cord from the back of your NES.  Boot up the Everdrive and wait about 5 to 10 seconds.  Plug your HDMI cord back into your NES and there it is, the main menu! The games work and you can now do the Hi-Def 2.0 update, which I actually haven't done yet.  This process of unplugging and re-plugging the HDMI cord does not work on OS V12.

Update link below.

http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12019&sid=55bcf21c61eaab1b438c5e6d5faeb0c6&start=210

Offline hunterk

• View Profile
Re: Hi-Def NES and V13 Green Screen SOLVED!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 02:58 PM »
Ah, clever! Let us know if the update indeed solves the issue permanently.

Offline wolfman011

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2015, 09:47 PM »
2.0 Update was successful. Everdrive boot problem was resolved.

Offline kilokahn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 03:57 AM »
Tried this method without much luck.  What version of firmware were you using for Everdrive N8?  Blue/Green screen just stays on unless I yank the SD card then it tells me SD card error.

Offline wolfman011

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 04:29 AM »
I was using the latest version.  OS V13. Anything before that gave me a garbled screen.  V13 gave me solid green.  Test to make sure your Everdrive works okay on another NES or try using the RF/Composite hook ups.  That always worked for me until I would try it with the HDMI cord.  Another method is try turning on the NES and Everdrive with the RF hook up.  When it's on the main menu, leave it on but unplug the RF hook up and then plug in the HDMI cord.

Offline darksakul

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 08:29 AM »
Did you delete the old OS files before copying over the updated files?

Offline kilokahn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2015, 11:54 PM »
I was using the latest version.  OS V13. Anything before that gave me a garbled screen.  V13 gave me solid green.  Test to make sure your Everdrive works okay on another NES or try using the RF/Composite hook ups.  That always worked for me until I would try it with the HDMI cord.  Another method is try turning on the NES and Everdrive with the RF hook up.  When it's on the main menu, leave it on but unplug the RF hook up and then plug in the HDMI cord.

I did get the garbled on earlier versions and I do get the blank screen on V13.  The only other NES I have is a top loader that does RF, I could connect it but I am sure it is working because when I eject the SD card I get the SD card warning.

Now I did try composite and I still get the blue screen.  I can indeed test the top loader and then use the same RF connector and try your method after. 

Now I will state that I do not have this in an Analogue NES though this is the same board though from Kevtris that I got from Jason at http://game-tech.us.

Did you delete the old OS files before copying over the updated files?

Yes, I deleted the old OS and put v13, I just get the screen now.  Some of you are reporting it as green but I'd more say it's blue/green (cyan).
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 12:02 AM by kilokahn »

Offline kilokahn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2015, 01:52 AM »
Found the problem, my SD card needed wiped and redone.  I tried it on my NES2 and got the same error, so I wiped it and followed your directions and now I am on v2.

For anyone having a "blue" screen, check this out:
http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=1214.0

Offline darksakul

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2015, 11:03 AM »

When you switch to os v 13 did you delete all the old files first?

Offline wolfman011

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2015, 04:36 PM »
Every time I did anything to the microSD card, I'd re-format the card and start fresh.  A quick reformat seemed to be sufficient, but overwriting was not recommended in other forums.  I'd unzipped the OS folder directly onto the card followed by drag and dropping whatever games.

Offline leonquest

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2015, 06:20 PM »
This is the most awesome news! somebody should make this a sticky thread.
Everdrive64 V3 - SD2Snes rev. f - Everdrive N8 fami - MegaEd X3 - PS IO

On my wishlist:
Everdrive GBA - EDGB X3 - Saturn Satisfier

Offline Kaze Okami

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2015, 07:07 AM »
Anyone else here with an analogue nt with the hi-def board have freezing/crashing/resetting issues with their N8?  It works fine on my friends av famicom but will crash on my nt after 10-20 minutes.  All regular nes and famicom games work fine on it and yes i'm using the new hi-def update and have tried both version 12 and 13 N8 OS's.

Offline hunterk

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2015, 03:57 PM »
@Kaze Okami
After switching my Nt over to RGB, I had that same instability (freezing/crashing/resetting, but only with *some* games; others would play fine for hours and the behavior was consistent in both cases). My N8 menu was also doing a jumpy-glitch thing in regular intervals (~0.75 seconds). This behavior was with v13, though, and it all resolved after reverting to v12.

I'm still investigating the issue to see how reproducible it is with v13.

You said your issues are happening on v12, as well, though?

Offline Kaze Okami

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2015, 12:11 PM »
Yup, both v12 and v13 will crash after a while when played on my nt.  Since it works fine on my mates av famicom and both regular nes and famicom carts work fine on my nt I suspect that it's either the hi-def board or the everdrive itself.  I've sent an email to Kevtris about it and left a message on his youtube channel a fortnight ago but I haven't received a reply yet.  I'm really hoping that I won't have to buy a powerpak as I much prefer to have the famicom cart design but this whole thing between the nt and n8 has just been so frustrating for me (I had to send my nt back shortly after I got it because it had a faulty ppu not to mention I got sent a silver console when I paid for a blue one).