Author Topic: can turbo everdrive play turbografx cd games?  (Read 12996 times)

Offline thekingofclearwater

• View Profile
can turbo everdrive play turbografx cd games?
« on: November 01, 2015, 09:21 AM »
is it possible for the turbo everdrive to play turbografx cd games on the on the turbografx 16 system or do you need a turbo duo?

Offline goombakid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: can turbo everdrive play turbografx cd games?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 10:55 AM »
Nope. You'll need either the CD attachment or a Duo.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2015, 09:02 PM »
it looks like the cd attahment and some of the turbo duos have disk problems
I guess the best bet is to invest in a turbo duo
since they have composite cables and will also work with the everdrive

Offline elmer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 10:11 PM »
it looks like the cd attahment and some of the turbo duos have disk problems
I guess the best bet is to invest in a turbo duo
since they have composite cables and will also work with the everdrive

Unless you are desperate to spend lots of money, then IMHO, you're better off just getting a Japanese Duo-R or Duo-RX if you want to play CD games.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2015, 11:29 PM »
Id rather not buy a turbo graphix just to have to try and find a cd add on later
I know the turbo graphix cd add ons break
I would like a system I can stick the everdrive into and play cards and cd games

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2015, 11:54 PM »
is 210 a good 2015 price for a Japanese turbo duo
controller
av cords
no official ac
and 3 games ?

Offline Mega

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2015, 06:32 AM »
is 210 a good 2015 price for a Japanese turbo duo
controller
av cords
no official ac
and 3 games ?

The Turbo Duo is a poorly made console and prone to breaking down, US or Japanese version. It is only recommended if the laser and capacitors have been replaced.

You should have bought a PC Engine Duo-R, preferably a doujindance model with new laser, RGB mod and region-free mod. The Duo-R (and RX, same thing) have superior build quality and represent the best option for playing as much of the PC Engine library as possible.

To reiterate an earlier post, the Turbo Everdrive only plays HuCard games. The one positive is that you can burn CD-R games and play them without a problem. This is inevitable unless you have deep pockets and patience due to the rarity and high cost of many of the good CD games. CD-Rs have been said to wear out the laser more quickly so take precautions to minimize that. Find good ISOs, use high quality CD media such as Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim DataLifePlus AZO and make sure you use a good CD burner at its lowest supported speed.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2015, 07:21 AM »
thank you for the advice

and yes the capacitors have been replaced :)

Offline Fakk2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2015, 08:49 AM »
If you want a system that has the best build quality, and nearly never breaks down unless it's been played to death with LD games, I would always recommend a Pioneer or NEC rebranded LaserActive and a PC Engine PAC, or TurboGrafx 16 PAC, (modded PACs are also a possibility), and the disc players in them are superior in quality to any PCEngine DUO or US DUO I have ever used, and I have been playing DUO games since the date of their release, along with comparing them over the past 25 years. I will never waste another dollar on a DUO system in my life now that I have 2 like new LaserActive units, and both the JPN and US PACs that I recapped on my own that are also like new.

The CD Rom game loading times are heavily reduced, the Arcade Card capabilities are rock solid and load the first time every time fast and furious, and the systems can also play Turbo Grafx LaserDisc games, which no other console can even play, so it has the capability of playing the ENTIRE Turo Library of games, not just 98% of them like the DUO systems.Anyone that has as much experience with them as I do can attest to what I am saying here. The DUO is a waste of money that could be spent on the real deal. It's almost similar as going from the Single Speed Front Loader NeoGeoCD to a rock solid Double Speed Neo-Geo CDZ that has a brand new laser, and twice the RAM for loading certain games faster. It feels that much different.

Offline Mega

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2015, 06:33 PM »
Depending on one's patience, luck and timing, basically everything being in your favor, a Laseractive with PC Engine PAC will cost three to five times as much as the many widely available Duos and Duo Rs. That's why no one recommends them with all the much cheaper and more common options available. The PACs alone commonly go for $300-$500.

It's cool that the Laseractive loads games faster but due the huge cost differences between it and any Duo, that should not be a major factor for deciding which to purchase. Barring a few demanding games like the Neo Geo arcade ports, PC Engine CD games simply don't have long loading times. The overall PC Engine CD gameplay experience is pleasant, unlike the Neo Geo CD library which truly benefits from any performance boost.

One factor that may favor Duos is the look of the console. I personally don't hate the Laseractive design, but the Duos can be more aesthetically pleasing with a sleeker classic console style vs. the bulky VCR/stereo deck style of the Laseractive.

Finally and this is also subjective, most of the LD-ROM games appear to be awful or they are just simple interactive FVM fare. And I imagine it's very expensive to obtain these (remember we're on a site for buying flash carts that save us tons of money over hunting down rare and expensive retro games). No one is missing much by "limiting" themselves to the literally hundreds of classics and quality titles on regular PC Engine hucard and CD-ROM.

aloram

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2015, 07:14 PM »
From what I gather, no one's gotten very far (or put in much work) on an SD-card or HDD option for the Turbo/PC Engine CD -- something similar to the GDEMU or PSIO.

Offline elmer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2015, 09:13 PM »
From what I gather, no one's gotten very far (or put in much work) on an SD-card or HDD option for the Turbo/PC Engine CD -- something similar to the GDEMU or PSIO.

I expect it's a lack-of-interest from anyone with the appropriate skills.

AFAIK it's just a SCSI CD-ROM with absolutely no copy-protection.

At some point, I expect that someone will figure out how to connect it to the open-source SCSI2SD hardware ... but AFAIK it's not been done, yet!

Offline wilykat

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2015, 09:38 AM »
The only reason to go after LD is to either collect or to play the LD games.  LD games can't be ripped to play on non LD console because LD has odd formatting, 2 layers. One is standard LD video that streams in background visual while other layer contains the game ROM to play with.

PC Engine was never designed for streaming video from separate source so LD games will remain exclusive to LD player only.

But IMO it's better to just get a Duo and forget about LD games.  Duo-R and Duo-RX is generally better since they usually won't need recap or any repair.  Black Duo can be bought cheaper but it will very likely need a recap (about $50 if you can't do it yourself), maybe laser adjustment, and all.

I do hope someday someone figures out the CD drive.  The older CD-ROM2 system (both TG-16 and PCE) has the same connector so any device will work on both systems.  Duo uses internal design and would need different design to work.  So that's 2 major design variation to make SD-CDROM adapter.

Offline DandySephy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2015, 07:17 PM »
Deunan was working on one but he's being kept busy with GDEMU and the Saturn equivalents. Last post I saw was that he was not having much luck.

Don't expect to see one anytime soon.