Author Topic: Running the BIOS for the Super System CD Card  (Read 28457 times)

Offline elmer

• View Profile
Re: Running the BIOS for the Super System CD Card
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2015, 08:56 PM »
Regarding Populous on Duo you don't need to run anything before it.

AFAIK it's looking for RAM in the upper banks of cartridge space ... just where the DUO's SCD RAM is.

I'm not sure how-on-earth you've got it running on a TED1 without unlocking the SCD RAM.

Regarding the "bus clash", if the RAM (TEDv2 only at thi point) is set to FF it would look like a pull up on the bus so that would not matter and the clash would be immaterial, right?

You'd need a competent electronic engineer to comment on that one. My remembrance of old-tech is that TTL logic worked pretty-much like that, but I'm not at all sure that the PCE's CMOS logic works the same way.

Whatever the answer to that, it's not a problem on the TED2 at this point because there's the patch for the Super System Card.

My investigations showed that KRIKzz didn't seem to be clearing unused cartridge memory to $FF in the TED2, and that you've just got left-over "garbage" in there. That's definitely going to cause a bus-fight without the patch.

[I don't know if the flash (TEDv1 only) upon erasing/reflashing is set to FF if unused, I am not even sure the erase clears it all (likely it does not)].

An "erase" on the flash memory sets the contents to $FF. But I have no idea how much of the cartridge space KRIKzz erases when the TED OS loads a new cartridge image.

It's a good thing that only the Super CD BIOS is causing troubles. One of the nice things with TED is that you can use any system card with it, including Game Express and CD BIOS v1 for Altered Beast CD.

Agreed, the TED2 is a great piece of hardware, and I highly recommend it to everyone.

Having to run a patched Super System Card image is a minor inconvenience, and is actually a huge benefit to those of us that want to use the extra RAM on a TED2 for translations/homebrew.

Offline wilykat

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2015, 11:31 PM »
I am a bit confused. It sounds like one should not run original System 3.0 BIOS on TED when using Duo or SuperCD system.

But what's the point of running System 3.0 when there's one built into Duo and SuperCD add on?

AFAIK System 3.0 doesn't work on TED 1.x because it lacks the RAM so using 3.0 on older CD-ROM2 system will not work.

If anyone just needed to mess with battery RAM inside any of the CD system (or TurboBooster Plus, Tennokoe2, and Backup Booster) System 1 and 2 will work fine for those. 

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2015, 02:24 AM »
The point is that people sometimes use the super CD BIOS rom on the TED instead of the built-in one, so they don't have to remove the TED everytime they play a super CD game.

Offline GreatFunky

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2015, 01:51 PM »
In my case , i remove my TED v1 each time before playing CD on my duo-r , but  sometimes i use the US System 3.0 bios to manage my duo memory , i'm not really good in the  Japanese menu ...  ;D
Is it really dangerous for my hardware?  ???
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 01:58 PM by GreatFunky »

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2015, 01:24 AM »
It's only v3 that's dangerous, so if you use an earlier BIOS version to manage your save data you should be fine. Or use the patched v3.

Offline elmer

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2015, 11:04 PM »
In my case , i remove my TED v1 each time before playing CD on my duo-r , but  sometimes i use the US System 3.0 bios to manage my duo memory , i'm not really good in the  Japanese menu ...  ;D
Is it really dangerous for my hardware?  ???

Just running the US System Card 3 on your TED1 so that you can manage the backup-ram before removing the TED1 to play CD games really shouldn't cause any problems.

If you feel worried at all, just run the US System Card 2 instead to manage the backup-ram ... there's definitely no problem at all with that.

FYI ... I don't think of this problem as "dangerous", it's not like your PC Engine is going to catch fire.

But it's definitely not at all "good", and there's no reason for TED2 owners to run the original Super System Card image now that there's a patch to fix the problem.

You probably can't run the patched Super System Card image on you TED1 ... it changes the TED's configuration registers in ways that may well crash the TED1 (it's designed for the TED2).

Offline GreatFunky

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2015, 05:17 PM »
Thanks for the info  :)

aloram

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2015, 07:44 PM »
So all of us v1 owners must either take out the Everdrive each time we play a CD game, or run the Super System Card 3.0 BIOS and risk damaging both our system and Everdrive. I've read in some places that the Everdrive is slightly bigger than a regular Hucard, and therefore regularly inserting and removing it can damage the slot. If that is indeed true, which is the recommended method here? Sounds like it's a problem either way.

Offline goombakid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2015, 09:24 PM »
So all of us v1 owners must either take out the Everdrive each time we play a CD game, or run the Super System Card 3.0 BIOS and risk damaging both our system and Everdrive. I've read in some places that the Everdrive is slightly bigger than a regular Hucard, and therefore regularly inserting and removing it can damage the slot. If that is indeed true, which is the recommended method here? Sounds like it's a problem either way.
I wouldn't worry about it.

aloram

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2015, 12:05 AM »
I wouldn't worry about it.
About either method, you mean? Which do you think is less problematic?

Offline goombakid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2015, 06:32 AM »
Taking the cards in and out. The pins in a PCE are pretty solid, so I wouldn't even fret about removal of the cards.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2015, 12:02 AM »
We don't know yet if TED v1 is affected at all.

aloram

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2015, 07:01 PM »
We don't know yet if TED v1 is affected at all.
Are we just waiting on Krikzz to let us know whether or not v1 is affected?

aloram

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2016, 04:14 AM »
Any updates on v1? Thanks.

Offline Larissa

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2016, 08:42 AM »
The TurboGrafx-16 was a collaborative effort between the relatively young Hudson Soft (founded in 1973) and NEC. NEC's interest in entering the lucrative video game market coincided with Hudson's failed attempt to sell designs for then-advanced graphics chips to Nintendo.