Author Topic: Running the BIOS for the Super System CD Card  (Read 10136 times)

Offline valthonis

• View Profile
Re: Running the BIOS for the Super System CD Card
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2016, 10:22 PM »
I have to admit I am a little lost.  I have just received the TED 2.4 and have a US Turbo Duo.  How does loading the Super System Card 3.0 "damage" the Turbo Duo?
Thanks

Offline elmer

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2016, 06:14 PM »
I have to admit I am a little lost.  I have just received the TED 2.4 and have a US Turbo Duo.  How does loading the Super System Card 3.0 "damage" the Turbo Duo?

The information is all detailed in the first few posts in this thread, as is the "solution" in the form of a simple patch to apply to the System Card 3 image.

I'm sorry, but I don't know how to explain it in any simpler terms than it's already been explained ... it's a technical issue, and so it does sort of help to have some understanding of electronics.

BTW ... if you actually the thread, I think that you'll find that I was careful to say "potential damage". Your Turbo Duo isn't going to explode if you don't use the patch, but you're stressing the electronics when there is bus-fighting.

It's totally up to you if you want to risk that just to avoid applying a free patch (that even includes the source code so that you can see exactly what it is doing).

aloram

« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2016, 06:34 PM »

The information is all detailed in the first few posts in this thread, as is the "solution" in the form of a simple patch to apply to the System Card 3 image.

I'm sorry, but I don't know how to explain it in any simpler terms than it's already been explained ... it's a technical issue, and so it does sort of help to have some understanding of electronics.

BTW ... if you actually the thread, I think that you'll find that I was careful to say "potential damage". Your Turbo Duo isn't going to explode if you don't use the patch, but you're stressing the electronics when there is bus-fighting.

It's totally up to you if you want to risk that just to avoid applying a free patch (that even includes the source code so that you can see exactly what it is doing).
So I guess there's still no information about whether or not v1 is affected?

Offline SmokeMonster

• Puzzle Bobbler
  • tsst tchh chh ch ch ch
    • View Profile
    • SmokeMonster YouTube Channel
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2016, 01:03 AM »
Here is a link to the EverDrive-patched bios files.

Offline elmer

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2016, 05:41 PM »

Sorry, I've still not gotten-around to finishing-off the test code, I've been busy with a lot of other stuff.

I need to bump it up on my list of priorities.

aloram

« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2016, 06:13 PM »

Sorry, I've still not gotten-around to finishing-off the test code, I've been busy with a lot of other stuff.

I need to bump it up on my list of priorities.
No problem at all. I know you're busy with the Xanadu II translation. Please let us know what you find. Thanks.

Offline Brachabre

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2016, 05:55 AM »
I read this post and the topic on pcenginefx forums in depth, but still confused about whether the memory bus conflict issue also pertains to the Duo-RX w/ a TED v2.4.

Does this setup need to use elmer's patched system card 3 bios to play a Super-CD2 game while the TED is inserted?

Offline GadgetUK

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2017, 09:21 PM »
Awesome!!! Thanks!

Offline SmokeMonster

• Puzzle Bobbler
  • tsst tchh chh ch ch ch
    • View Profile
    • SmokeMonster YouTube Channel
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2017, 09:33 PM »
I read this post and the topic on pcenginefx forums in depth, but still confused about whether the memory bus conflict issue also pertains to the Duo-RX w/ a TED v2.4.

Does this setup need to use elmer's patched system card 3 bios to play a Super-CD2 game while the TED is inserted?
If you plan to flash bioses from your EverDrive, it requires the modified bios files to avoid bus conflicts. For instance, if you just want to leave the TED plugged in all of the time. This pertains to all v2 TEDs. V1 TEDs should not be used at all as System Cards. You can also just remove the TED and the Duo would boot using its built-in System Card 3.0 (which supports all CDs except Arcade Card games). CD games aren't region locked so it will boot everything fine on its own.

Awesome!!! Thanks!
My pleasure. It's great to see you here! :D