Author Topic: UltraHDMI Impressions  (Read 3970 times)

Offline Gh0st

• View Profile
UltraHDMI Impressions
« on: December 17, 2015, 07:48 AM »
Hello,
I completed my UltraHDMI install last night, and have been playing on and off for a couple of hours, and figured I'd give a few of my overall impressions to everyone.
First off, the difference between UltraHDMI and Composite on a modern HDTV is, predictably, night and day. Composite looks incredibly distorted, with awful text, while even with no filtering UltraHDMI looks exceptionally clear. The Anti-Blur algorithm works wonderfully, and the scanlines with serration provides for a really nice take on 64 games.

Currently, I'm running it at 1080p with Hybrid Scanlines, Low Serration, Low Bloom, and No De-Blur (I'll get to this in a moment). The picture is wonderful. Granted, it's not perfectly clean, but that's not really what I was after anyway. The visuals are somewhat soft, and text especially receives a huge improvement. As for De-Blur, even though the algorithm is really, really good (seriously, I can't see any change other than an increase in sharpness), there are some games where the added softness from the blur is worth it. I've found that Paper Mario looks better de-blurred, while Wave Race 64 seems to look better with the blur.

Not everything is perfect yet, though. The audio needs a bit of work, as there are many points where it seems to clip (not super-duper badly, but it's definitely audible without having to try to listen for it). I feel like this would be fixed in a firmware update, though. In addition, I'd like to see additional filtering options, such as an Aperture-Grille based filter or something similar. These are minor concerns, though, compared with what the board is already able to do.

Just wanted to throw out my impression. How do the other owners out there feel about it?

Offline ViridianDragoon

• View Profile
Re: UltraHDMI Impressions
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 05:38 PM »
Any plans to upload footage? Interested in the mod but waiting to get my hands on a better condition console before I drop any kind of funds into permanent modifications.

Offline LDigital

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 06:55 PM »
Is there an installation guide that can be linked to? I have checked the site but cant find one.  I am curious if I have the tools and skill to do this myself or If i need to get this sent off.

Is there someone in the UK doing these mods?

Offline Gh0st

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2015, 04:12 AM »
Any plans to upload footage? Interested in the mod but waiting to get my hands on a better condition console before I drop any kind of funds into permanent modifications.

Wasn't planning on it, but I can if you'd like. I'll be filming with my phone (A OnePlus One), so the quality may not be good, as I don't have a capture card.

Offline RichK

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 12:40 PM »
Is there an installation guide that can be linked to? I have checked the site but cant find one.  I am curious if I have the tools and skill to do this myself or If i need to get this sent off.

Is there someone in the UK doing these mods?

http://ultrahdmi.retroactive.be/installer_files/installation_guide.pdf
http://retrorgb.com/ultrahdmi.html
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 12:46 PM by RichK »