Author Topic: [NOOB GUIDE] TurboED (v1 and v2.X) + Doujindance-modded PC Engine DUO-R  (Read 33866 times)

Offline goombakid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Voultar did a thorough teardown of the Doujindance Duo mods, and it's simply shocking to see how bad his work is. If you considered buying one, read this first:
http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/psa-dont-buy-duo-duo-r-systems-from-e-bay-seller-doujindance.64866/

It's shameful.

Thanks for that.

Just looking at how crappy that install job looks, I'd totally avoid buying anything premoddified from him.

I'm gonna leave this stickied so everyone will be aware of potential problems with those premodded consoles. I added that caveat to the OP.

Offline Aether Knight

• View Profile
Yeah I am one of the unfortunate people that bought one of his modded systems and man I'm regretting it now. Not so much becuase my v2 doesn't work. That could be easily forgived as my v1 still works fine. No, its the fact that my Duo-R I got from him is exhibiting nasty color flickering results. Will always have a solid video signal, but color sometimes comes in/out and even in black and white and back to color again!

I'm currently researching how to get THAT fix as well as the v2 mod fix so I can use my newer TE on it. I also need my cables wired for euro scart.

Which brings me to my point of this post ; Maybe list a few reputable modders or repairers on this post?

Offline SmokeMonster

• Puzzle Bobbler
  • tsst tchh chh ch ch ch
    • View Profile
    • SmokeMonster YouTube Channel
Maybe list a few reputable modders or repairers on this post?
That's a great idea. We could post a directory of active reputable modders. I'll start with a few:

Voultar (USA) has a lot of experience helping people repair/reverse their Doujindance-impared Duos. His mod-work is excellent and top-tier and he designs custom RGB amps.

thesteve and Keith Courage (USA) at pcenginefx.com are PCE gurus and can do any mods that exist.

Keith Courage almost always stocks recapped RGB-modded Duos for sale at great prices.

thesteve is an electrical engineer by trade and I’ve used him a lot through the years. I normally RGB mod all of my own consoles, but I leave expensive PCE stuff up to thesteve since he’s extremely skilled and always goes beyond just installing the amp.
Off the top of my head, thesteve has done the following work for my consoles:
-Turbo Express: Installed an RGB amp, 3.5” LCD, controller port, and composite AV output through the headphone jack. I’m possibly the only person on earth who has an RGB TE :D
-Turbo Express 2: Installed a 2.4” LCD (retains the TE bezel), recapped, and AV output through headphone jack.
-Turbo Express 3: Installed a 3.5” LCD and AV output through the headphone jack.
-SuperGrafx: Repaired 72 broken traces (the tiny group leading to the hucard connector), installed an RGB amp.
-Duo: RGB amped, replaced the laser, and calibrated the laser to the Taiyo Yuden CD-Rs that I use exclusively.
-Duo-R: Repaired a V-Ram issue, RGB amped, laser calibrated

I always buy the buffered RGB amps sold by mickchris, which are tailored to the PC Engine’s non-standard levels. Mickchris often has recapped and RGB-amped Duos for sale, and he offers region modding them.

Jasen at Game-Tech.us (USA) is a skilled modder and shares his work regularly on his YouTube Channel. Very highly regarded and I’ve personally learned a lot from watching his repair log videos.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 08:00 AM by SmokeMonster »

Offline skins4thewin

• View Profile
Hi Smokemonster, I also had thesteve do some turboexpress modwork for me as well, mostly the same stuff he did to yours in fact, and while I expected great work based on all the great reviews, I have had several issues with the mods done to the system.  It was not the quality work I expected from someone with such a good rep.

Please check your PM's, I would like to discuss some of the details on the mod work he did to your system, so I can see if you experienced any of the same issues.  Thanks :)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 11:57 PM by skins4thewin »

Offline Amerika

• View Profile
Ok, so I made this post earlier when I had an issue that sounded identical to the issue in the OP.  Then, luckily, I perused these forums and came across somebody with another issue with an TBED and a nice person linked them to the OS it's supposed to use.  I got my OS from http://www.stoneagegamer.com/turbo-everdrive-basic.html since that is where I bought the device and apparently both v2 and v3 do not work with my TBED.  However, the link to the OS on Krikzz's website did http://krikzz.com/pub/support/turbo-everdrive/v2/os/.

So, all of that troubleshooting was mostly for nothing since all I needed to do was swap out one OS file for another, heh.  I contacted Stoneagegamer to investigate and make sure they have the proper files up.

HOWEVER, something good did come out of it.  I took some pictures of the inside of a Doujindance Duo-R that is apparently radically different than his older builds.  You can see them below (I only put an actual image of the first as not to annoy people).  I am not sure if the work is really any better as I am not an expert in this area but it definitely did not have any epoxy, glue, tape or bubble wrap anywhere.  Also, the soldering looked pretty clean.  I believe this is what his more recent work looks like and it apparently fixed the TBED issue as well.  The image and sound quality is also good in regards to my setup.

If somebody wants, I can take closer/better pictures.

https://goo.gl/photos/4MHkrS5xJbkdRQ599

https://goo.gl/photos/6cGLNYy6VCskCnT5A

https://goo.gl/photos/F5rcngioP8T3HVeS7
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 10:54 PM by Amerika »
NES Everdrive N8, SD2SNES, Mega EverDrive x7, Turbo EverDrive, NeoSD, EverDrive-GBA x5, Ultra EverDrive64 v3

Offline HotJuicyBurgers

• View Profile
Hi there everyone,

hope someone here can shed some light on this...

I got a region modded pc engine duo from keith courage from the pcenginefx forums, everything was great until i tried my v2 everdrive and all I got was a white screen. Made sure the region switches were all in accordance, even tried every combination of them to no avail. Anyone have any trouble shooting tips for me? I just want to figure out which part of the equation is the busted part so that I can fix it haha.

The system is region modded, rgb modded and had a recap. The work looks top notch, (I have the system open now) and actually uses a physical switch for the region mod which is the kind that you want from what I understand.

Thanks in advance guys!

Offline Amerika

• View Profile
Hi there everyone,

I got a region modded pc engine duo from keith courage from the pcenginefx forums, everything was great until i tried my v2 everdrive and all I got was a white screen. Made sure the region switches were all in accordance, even tried every combination of them to no avail. Anyone have any trouble shooting tips for me? I just want to figure out which part of the equation is the busted part so that I can fix it haha.

The system is region modded, rgb modded and had a recap. The work looks top notch, (I have the system open now) and actually uses a physical switch for the region mod which is the kind that you want from what I understand.

Thanks in advance guys!

What happens when you take the SD card out?  Do you still get a white screen or do you get a screen that gives you an error message?
NES Everdrive N8, SD2SNES, Mega EverDrive x7, Turbo EverDrive, NeoSD, EverDrive-GBA x5, Ultra EverDrive64 v3

Offline HotJuicyBurgers

• View Profile
Hi there everyone,

Thanks in advance guys!

What happens when you take the SD card out?  Do you still get a white screen or do you get a screen that gives you an error message?

When I boot it up with no SD card at all It is still a white screen :(

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing™ inside
    • View Profile
I got a region modded pc engine duo from keith courage from the pcenginefx forums, everything was great until i tried my v2 everdrive and all I got was a white screen.
Do you have another PC Engine to test? can you borrow one?
We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey.

Offline HotJuicyBurgers

• View Profile
I got a region modded pc engine duo from keith courage from the pcenginefx forums, everything was great until i tried my v2 everdrive and all I got was a white screen.
Do you have another PC Engine to test? can you borrow one?

Unfortunately I don't. Never even seen one in the wild in my whole life. Would be convenient if I had another. If it didn't work on both it's the Everdrive, if it works on one and not the other it is the console.

Offline Tzakiel

• View Profile
Re: [NOOB GUIDE] TurboED (v1 and v2.X) + Doujindance-modded PC Engine DUO-R
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2017, 08:57 PM »
So I just got a new turbo ED 2.5 and a doujindance duo R. And everything works perfectly. Clearly things have improved.

Offline Tzakiel

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2017, 09:00 PM »
Hi there everyone,

Thanks in advance guys!

FWIW I got a white screen until I had the right region selected on the both turbo ED and the duo R. Maybe try some combinations. Also the white screen still appears and does take a few seconds some to go away, make sure you aren’t rushing it. At first I thought it wasn’t working until I waited another second.

Edit: never mind, I didn’t read. Sorry, maybe yours was one of the older ones without the power improvements to the wiring in the mods.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 10:24 PM by Tzakiel »

Offline SmokeMonster

• Puzzle Bobbler
  • tsst tchh chh ch ch ch
    • View Profile
    • SmokeMonster YouTube Channel
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2017, 09:08 PM »
So I just got a new turbo ED 2.5 and a doujindance duo R. And everything works perfectly. Clearly things have improved.
Yes, all reports on his new methods are very good. He seems to be doing fine work now :D

Offline trotter

• View Profile
All,

This also fixed my issue to on my duo-R that was modded by Doujindance.  I had the grey screen no menu showing.

BIG THANKS to users goombakid and L-Digital.  ;)

Offline Yardley

• View Profile
All,

This also fixed my issue to on my duo-R that was modded by Doujindance.  I had the grey screen no menu showing.

BIG THANKS to users goombakid and L-Digital.  ;)

Did you buy a system from him when he was doing the older mod or did you have issues with one of his newer systems? I am thinking about buying one form him.