Author Topic: Problem with SD2SNES and D4 Patch  (Read 14897 times)

Offline D4v3WTF

• View Profile
Problem with SD2SNES and D4 Patch
« on: December 30, 2015, 12:10 AM »
Hi everyone, I'm using the SD2SNES since a few days. Now Ive found a problem. My SNES is an PAL 1Chip-02 with RGB Bypass, CSYNC Mod, Super CIC, D4 Patch and Bortis uIGR2. If I try Donkey Kong 3 PAL in 60hz I have to activate the D4 Patch, but if I want to play Final Fight Guy NTSC in 60hz I got the message "This game pak is not designed for your Super Nintendo". The message disappear if I deactivate the D4 patch. I thought that I can play any game with the D4 Patch activated? What is the problem? I've tried it with v0.1.6 and v0.1.7-4. Is it possible to play any PAL/NTSC game without measuring with all the modes?

Thank you for your ideas
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 11:38 AM by D4v3WTF »
N64 PAL Games Collection: 204/243
N64 PAL Demo Collection: 1/1
N64 Region Free NTSC Games: 1
Everdrive 64 v2.01 modded UltraCIC II
SD2SNES Rev. F modded Rev. H

Offline mrpopsicleman

• View Profile
Re: Problem with SD2SNES and D4 Patch
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 01:41 PM »
I'm not too familiar with the D4 patch, but I know SD2SNES has auto region patching. Using it on my unmodified NTSC SNES, I can run any PAL ROM without any "This game pak is not designed for your Super Nintendo" screens, but of course they all run at 60hz and some have more glitches than others.

Offline D4v3WTF

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 01:55 PM »
Thanks for your reply! I forgot to mention that I've installed ikaris 50/60 Hz circuit board. It doesn't matter if I turn on or off the Pair Mode, SD2SNES Region Patching or 50/60 Hz. I'll always have to manually switch between D4 on and off. Maybe it's a problem with the OS?

borti4938

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2016, 08:53 PM »
Hey there,

I registered here (once again) to answer your question.
If you understand, how the region patch in your console is working, you will understand that keeping it active while using flashcards is not a good idea - unless you can use the pairmode.
The region patch uses the region, which is detected by the SuperCIC-lock. The SuperCIC-lock uses the CIC-key to forward either PAL or NTSC to the region patch (and auto mode). The region patch of your console hence cannot know which region your loaded ROM is! In pair mode this information is updated.

Some more information:
The sd2snes has its own region patch, but the region patch of your console is 'stronger'.
The SuperCIC-key of your sd2snes is set to the region of the last unmodified console where your sd2snes was plugged in.

Why your pair mode does not work:
Check your installation of the SuperCIC-lock!
Clean up your edge connector of your console.

-> check the system information of the sd2snes for the CIC state:
- 'Original or no CIC' -> SuperCIC-lock not detected -> check your installation again
- 'SuperCIC detected, not used' -> SuperCIC-lock detected, not running in pair mode
- ' SuperCIC enhanced' -> SuperCIC-lock detected and running in pair mode

Offline D4v3WTF

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2016, 11:00 PM »
Hi Borti, thanks for your answer. I've activated the Pair Mode and the system information said SuperCIC enhanced but the "This game pal is not..." Message appears again. With The activated Pair Mode I can't perform a long reset. It looks like it performs only a normal reset.

borti4938

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2016, 11:29 PM »
Ok, then the installation of the SCIC should be fine. Do you have a digital multimeter? If yes, could you measure the voltage at:
- pin 9 of the SuperCIC
- pin 3 of the SuperCIC
Both measurements for a PAL and a NTSC ROM loaded (please let your regionpatch off)

Regarding the long reset:
actually, the long reset is a double reset (two reset pushes within ~586ms). The uIGR does such a double reset and the SuperCIC makes a 6s reset out of it on the SNES reset line.
If the SuperCIC is in pair mode loop, the PIC just forward the double reset to the SNES reset line. The sd2snes should make a reset to menu out of it (no 6s to wait).

Offline D4v3WTF

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2016, 02:11 AM »
Ok, then the installation of the SCIC should be fine. Do you have a digital multimeter? If yes, could you measure the voltage at:
- pin 9 of the SuperCIC
- pin 3 of the SuperCIC
Both measurements for a PAL and a NTSC ROM loaded (please let your regionpatch off)

Thanks again, I'll test that later.

Regarding the long reset:
actually, the long reset is a double reset (two reset pushes within ~586ms). The uIGR does such a double reset and the SuperCIC makes a 6s reset out of it on the SNES reset line.
If the SuperCIC is in pair mode loop, the PIC just forward the double reset to the SNES reset line. The sd2snes should make a reset to menu out of it (no 6s to wait).

Hmm, when I press the back to menu reset, it starts the last rom again. I can only get back to the menu when I turn off and on the console, or disable the Pair Mode. I don't know what's the problem here.

borti4938

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2016, 01:44 PM »
What's the uIGR code you use?

Could you also test if the reset to menu works with this sd2snes-fw: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18680455/SNES-Projects/sd2snes_nightly/sd2snes_v0174.1_u16.rar

Offline mrpopsicleman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2016, 01:56 PM »
Well, I have a few ideas, but don't know if will help or not.

When I first used v0.1.7 preview firmware (the first one), it broke auto region patching on the SD2SNES. When I asked ikari about it, he figured out that it was due to migration of the sd2snes.cfg file from v0.1.6 firmware. After deleting it, everything worked fine again. So maybe try that?

Also, with newest preview firmware, perhaps the in-game hooks are causing issues? You can disable them in the config.yml file like so.
# IRQ hook related settings
#  EnableIRQHook: Overall enable IRQ hooks (required for in-game buttons & WRAM cheats)
#  EnableIRQButtons: Enable in-game buttons (en/disable cheats, reset sd2snes...)
#  EnableIRQHoldoff: Enable 10s grace period after reset before enabling in-game hooks
EnableIRQHook: false
EnableIRQButtons: false
EnableIRQHoldoff: false

My knowledge about SNES region mods is limited (since I don't have any), but figured you could give those ideas a try.

Offline D4v3WTF

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2016, 02:37 PM »
- pin 9 of the SuperCIC
- pin 3 of the SuperCIC

I've measured the two pins 3 and 9 with the PAL and NTSC roms. With the PAL DKC3 it was 4.99V on Pin 3 and 3.26V on pin 9. With the NTSC DKC3 it was 0.00V on both pins.

Could you also test if the reset to menu works with this sd2snes-fw: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18680455/SNES-Projects/sd2snes_nightly/sd2snes_v0174.1_u16.rar

When I modded my SNES, I've used your uIGR v2. Last week I saw that you released v5. Should I update it to the new one?

I'll test your firmware in the next few minutes. Thank you for your help!

Well, I have a few ideas, but don't know if will help or not.

When I first used v0.1.7 preview firmware (the first one), it broke auto region patching on the SD2SNES. When I asked ikari about it, he figured out that it was due to migration of the sd2snes.cfg file from v0.1.6 firmware. After deleting it, everything worked fine again. So maybe try that?

Also, with newest preview firmware, perhaps the in-game hooks are causing issues? You can disable them in the config.yml file like so.
# IRQ hook related settings
#  EnableIRQHook: Overall enable IRQ hooks (required for in-game buttons & WRAM cheats)
#  EnableIRQButtons: Enable in-game buttons (en/disable cheats, reset sd2snes...)
#  EnableIRQHoldoff: Enable 10s grace period after reset before enabling in-game hooks
EnableIRQHook: false
EnableIRQButtons: false
EnableIRQHoldoff: false

My knowledge about SNES region mods is limited (since I don't have any), but figured you could give those ideas a try.

Hi, thanks for your ideas. The v0.1.7-4 was the only OS I've used on the SD2SNES. I've already disabled all the hooks but it doesn't changed it.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 02:58 PM by D4v3WTF »

Offline mrpopsicleman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2016, 03:04 PM »
Hi, thanks for your ideas. The v0.1.7-4 was the only OS I've used on the SD2SNES. I've already disabled all the hooks but it doesn't changed it.
Oh well, it was worth a shot. Good luck.

Offline D4v3WTF

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2016, 03:27 PM »
Oh well, it was worth a shot. Good luck.

Thank you!

I've tested your firmware and from 10 try's 2 worked.

I've tested a PAL DKC3 cartridge and the same problem happened again, it looks like that my (PAL) SNES thinks that it is an NTSC console?! My PAL games only work when I turn on the Region Patch. Even in 50Hz the message appears.

Is there maybe a problem with my SuperCIC?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 03:38 PM by D4v3WTF »

borti4938

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2016, 04:40 PM »
- pin 9 of the SuperCIC
- pin 3 of the SuperCIC

I've measured the two pins 3 and 9 with the PAL and NTSC roms. With the PAL DKC3 it was 4.99V on Pin 3 and 3.26V on pin 9. With the NTSC DKC3 it was 0.00V on both pins. 

These values are correct. Your SuperCIC-lock is running in pairmode and updates the region accordingly. Could you share pics of your installation of the region patching circuit?

I've tested a PAL DKC3 cartridge and the same problem happened again, it looks like that my (PAL) SNES thinks that it is an NTSC console?! My PAL games only work when I turn on the Region Patch. Even in 50Hz the message appears.
Well - a problem with your region patching circuit...

I've tested your firmware and from 10 try's 2 worked.
Could you try this one here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18680455/SNES-Projects/sd2snes_nightly/sd2snes_dbl_rst.zip
There are two firmwares attached - could you say me if one of them is better regarding the reset to menu.

Offline D4v3WTF

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2016, 05:17 PM »
Sadly none of the firmwares worked. It always performs a normal reset and the game starts again. Here are the pictures of the region patch circuit.

borti4938

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2016, 09:10 PM »
I see, what the problem with your installation is ;)
You have connected the green wire, which goes to the 74HC125, with uIGR pin 7. I'm up to 99% sure!!! In that way you do not switch on/off your region patch, you just switch the fake region between PAL (on state) and NTSC (off state).

You have to correct your installation as follows:
  • connect the green wire from 74HC125 with SuperCIC pin 3 / uIGR pin 4
  • unconnect pin 12 of the 74LS133 from 5V
  • connect pin 12 of the 74LS133 with uIGR pin 7

Regarding the reset to menu:
Does the firmware don't work at all??? Or just the reset to menu??? If so, I will give you some more firmwares to test tomorrow, if you want to!!! Today, you have to fix your region patch circuit first ;)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 09:12 PM by borti4938 »