Author Topic: A CD Drive to Burn PC Engine Games?  (Read 4623 times)

aloram

A CD Drive to Burn PC Engine Games?
« on: January 04, 2016, 01:54 AM »
Hi. I want to burn some PC Engine CD backups, which need to be written at 8X, but the drive in my desktop won't write CD-Rs at that specific speed, nor will the external one I got in the mail today for that purpose (it won't go lower than 10X). I'll be using a SATA/IDE to USB 2.0 adapter to connect whichever drive I get to my desktop (it's a shared computer and I can't replace the main drive itself). Can someone please recommend a drive that can burn CD-Rs at 8x (and of a quality that'll work in my PC Engine Duo)? Thanks.

Offline TeamShake

• View Profile
Re: A CD Drive to Burn PC Engine Games?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 02:26 AM »
Have you tried burning them on your current burner?  You don't need to burn them at 8x. I burn them at 40x and they work fine. Just get some descent discs like Taiyo Yuden brand.

Offline KalessinDB

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 04:29 AM »
Agreed. Nothing *needs* to be burned at one specific speed. The basic theory behind slow burning is it causes fewer errors, because the optical drives in consoles don't have the error correction that the ones in computers do. So, as mentioned, buy high quality media (which will also reduce errors) and if you're worried, burn at the slowest speed your burner can handle.
Attempting a complete NTSC-U NES set.  Sell me your games!
What I've Got.  253/677 licensed games, 39/95 unlicensed games (drawing # from NA's "semi-official" list

Offline LDigital

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 06:01 PM »
I have had no problems for my Duo-R doing the following

1. Download Imgburn 2.5.0  dont get anything newer as it will be full of adware.

2. Get Taiyo Yuden discs. They are the only discs worth using

3. Set Img  to the lowest possible setting, it will default to the lowest setting your drive can do when you start the burn (probably 10x)

Enjoy your games!

Offline nesfreak

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 12:29 PM »
Edit2:

Since I got asperger or something.. lets try this again.

You need a older CD-burner that writes the disc with CLV, newer consoles reads discs in CAV mode.
(CAV is used with Nintendo GameCube Game Disc and Wii Optical Disc, the original Xbox discs, as well as the Sega GD-rom.)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constant_angular_velocity

My Saturn loads games faster and the CD is a lot quieter than games burnt with a new cd-writer, Taiyo Yuden dics are preferred as L-Digital mentioned.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constant_linear_velocity

Source:
http://www.optidrivecontrol.com/faq.html
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 01:00 PM by nesfreak »