Author Topic: SNES Vertical Line Not There  (Read 4564 times)

Offline Gumball

• Gumball Bunny
  • Heavy Metal Rabbit
    • View Profile
SNES Vertical Line Not There
« on: January 08, 2016, 01:07 AM »
Ok so I didn't really know where to post this but I am aware of the Super Nintendo vertical line issue. I know that the 1 CHIP models and the Mini Super nintendo's you can't really see it on them. I have had several super nintendos that have had the vertical line as normal. I've come to expect it at this point having been playing SNES for the last 20 years. Within that time I have never once come across one that didn't have it in one way or another until recently. I bought an original super nintendo not a 1 chip either I checked. But an original non 1 chip snes and the vertical isn't just almost gone like the 1 chip or mini's but theres no trace of it period. It's literally 100 percent gone. I have tried it on multiple different displays, HD CRT's regular CRT's, HD LED TV's and it's just gone. How often does this happen? I've even done a side by side comparison with my other super nintendo which does have it. I'm assuming maybe the person who owned it before me probably fixed the vertical line issue but if they didn't is it common at all to find a non 1 chip snes that doesnt have the vertical line?
All I wanna do is shred.

Offline Aether Knight

• View Profile
Re: SNES Vertical Line Not There
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 07:44 PM »
Not sure this helps but I own a very early NTSC Super NES (serial UN10004329) probably the oldest known SNES based on US serials and I have yet to get any type of vertical line on any game (tested FFIII intro and Super Metroid) Not sure why that is since Its a 1/1/1 model and it should have the same flaws as other 1/1/1 models. However it does not look as sharp as the later 1CHIPs or the mini so who knows? Maybe Nintendo got cheap with the parts early in the SNES lifespan? (Or I'm extremely lucky?)

Offline Catastrophic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 04:15 AM »
http://retrorgb.com/snesverticalline.html

The issue and its solutions are well discussed on this page.

Offline Gumball

• Gumball Bunny
  • Heavy Metal Rabbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 08:32 AM »
http://retrorgb.com/snesverticalline.html

The issue and its solutions are well discussed on this page.
I am well aware of retrorgb's discussion on the subject. I'm not saying that I'm effected by it with my current snes that I'm using. I'm just wondering if it's common for a non 1 chip snes to not have the vertical line.
All I wanna do is shred.

Offline mrpopsicleman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2016, 09:50 AM »
Now I could be wrong, but from everything I've read, this is what I've gathered. The earliest SNES/Super Famicom models from 1990-1991 (SHVC-CPU-01) didn't have the vertical line issue, and it didn't appear until the 1992 models (SNS-CPU-GPM-01) and after.

Offline Gumball

• Gumball Bunny
  • Heavy Metal Rabbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2016, 10:15 AM »
Now I could be wrong, but from everything I've read, this is what I've gathered. The earliest SNES/Super Famicom models from 1990-1991 (SHVC-CPU-01) didn't have the vertical line issue, and it didn't appear until the 1992 models (SNS-CPU-GPM-01) and after.
So it would be safe to assume I have a very early model then. Interesting. It still works like new tho and it hasn't been yellowed at all which is a damn miracle in of its self.
All I wanna do is shred.

Offline Catastrophic

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2016, 07:28 PM »
It still works like new tho and it hasn't been yellowed at all which is a damn miracle in of its self.

I think the yellowing is mostly caused by heat in the plastic. Your SNES was probably stored in a pretty cool environment.