Author Topic: Japanese Sega Saturn in the U.S.  (Read 4183 times)

aloram

Japanese Sega Saturn in the U.S.
« on: January 15, 2016, 06:20 PM »
I'm going to get a Japanese Sega Saturn, model 1, and use it in the U.S. I've done research, but I get a lot of different answers, so I was curious what the people on this forum think. Is it a problem if I use the regular, Japanese power supply here in the U.S.? Thanks.

Offline stlpaul

• View Profile
Re: Japanese Sega Saturn in the U.S.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 06:36 PM »
It'll probably work fine (Sega consoles usually have pretty large voltage tolerance and Japan voltage is not too different from US) but a step down transformer is fairly cheap if you look around and may protect the long-term health of the console.  Here is a cheap one (I have not used it): http://www.voltageconverters.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=VC100J

Switching between Japan/USA and Europe is usually where the problems occur because they are so dramatically different.

Offline J-E

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 07:47 PM »
what we do in Europe is to put an european power supply in the foreign saturn.
Be aware that it works only if the saturns match. I mean you can exchange the power supply between 2 saturn which are the very same version (not just the model 1 or the model 2, it is a bit more detailed)

you should find on the net how to identify the saturn.
if needed and if your french is good (or your translator with the G letter...) I can give you a link to identify  your saturn and to switch the power supply

Switching between Japan/USA and Europe is usually where the problems occur because they are so dramatically different.
yes indeed, my jap DC still remember the barbecue, now I put in it a 240V power supply. the reverse (plug a EUR console ine the USA) is less dramatic
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 07:50 PM by J-E »

Offline yoloswag420

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 05:17 AM »
Canadian here.

My Japanese works exactly the same as my us. Honestly I like the US start up myself but yeah know. I have an action replay mod and it plays us games fine.

Offline TonyN

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 10:25 PM »
Hi, I have just bought my first SS from Japan, I live in the Uk.
In order to do things by the book I bought a step down converter 240v - 100v off eBay.
After ten days the item didn't arrive but a refund did(!) so being impatient I used a USA step down converter 240v - 100v - which I already had - works fine.