Author Topic: Region locked games on other region consoles  (Read 15663 times)

Offline Chrono256

• View Profile
Region locked games on other region consoles
« on: January 19, 2016, 08:38 PM »
Hello!
Sorry if this question is asked yet, but I didn't find anything about.
I've just bought an Everdrive for my Japanese MegaDrive. I tried asap to play the USA version of Shining Force and... it didn't work 'cause of the region lock. I was thinking this problem would be avoided with the flashcart but well... seems like not. :/
Same thing with some other region locked games (like Mega Turrican) but not everything else (PAL Earthworm Jim or Vectorman work, but my original cartridges don't, anyway maybe they're just different dumps or don't know what, but it's not important). Is there a way to solve that? Something like bypass the japan bios or whatever?

Offline AW87

• View Profile
Re: Region locked games on other region consoles
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 06:28 AM »
For best compatibility and most playing-fun, i give you the advice to make a mod on the console, like for example the switchless-mod. Then you can not only switch between the different country-versions of a certain game, rather you can also switch between 50Hz (50FPS) and 60Hz (60FPS). My european PAL-Megadrive has such a mod and it`s a perfect solution. Switchless-mod is not very cheap, but it`s worth the money in my opinion and you dont need to cut out something of the Megadrive-case, like you must do, when you insert a manual-switch.

Offline Kyle

• Game Genie Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 12:13 PM »
I'm in the US and region modded my Japanese Mega Drive. If you continue to have grief here's another solution.

Download Game Genie Guy and patch a region bypass Game Genie code. I just tested and it worked fine.

http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1054/

http://www.gamefaqs.com/genesis/916377-genesis/faqs/60595

Shining Force
AMAA-ER3A

Offline TDIRunner

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 05:22 PM »
I've only had my Mega Everdrive since Christmas so I haven't tried any Japanese Mega Drive games yet.  I wasn't aware that they would have to be patched to work on my US Genesis.  I guess I've been spoiled by my Turbo Everdrive which plays US TG-16 games on my Japanese Core Grafx without any type of patching.  Not a complaint really, just something I didn't know.

@Kyle,

Is there a list of region bypass codes for GGGuy or do I have to request them?  I don't have any specific games I'm looking for at the moment.  I'm just curious for when I get around to trying some.

Thanks.

***EDIT***  Never mind.  It looks like the links you provided have what I need. 
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 05:24 PM by TDIRunner »
Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

Turbo EverDrive    EverDrive N8    SD2SNES    EverDrive64 v3    EverDrive GB    EverDrive GBA    Master EverDrive    Mega EverDrive    EverDrive GG

Offline Chrono256

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 05:32 PM »
I'm in the US and region modded my Japanese Mega Drive. If you continue to have grief here's another solution.

Download Game Genie Guy and patch a region bypass Game Genie code. I just tested and it worked fine.

http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1054/

http://www.gamefaqs.com/genesis/916377-genesis/faqs/60595

Shining Force
AMAA-ER3A

Many many thanks! That's definitely what I was looking for, I'll try it out asap.

Anyway yeah, I know a modded MegaDrive is the best way, but I was just thinking the Everdrive woulda solve this problem without spending more money (and I destroyed a MegaDrive 2 time ago trying to mod it, I'm terrible at this kind of works lol).

Thanks again for the tips! :)

Edit: It works! This is awesome. Time to play every single MegaDrive game! lol
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 06:04 PM by Chrono256 »

Offline Kyle

• Game Genie Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 06:08 PM »
Mega Everdrive should have options to toggle the region in the settings. I know I ran into this a couple of times myself though. I just like the way the Japanese Mega Drive looked cosmetically. Adding a region toggle switch is only a few wires but I can understand your reservation. If you can't get it going by playing with settings those region bypass codes should help.

Offline TDIRunner

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 06:13 PM »
Mega Everdrive should have options to toggle the region in the settings. I know I ran into this a couple of times myself though. I just like the way the Japanese Mega Drive looked cosmetically. Adding a region toggle switch is only a few wires but I can understand your reservation. If you can't get it going by playing with settings those region bypass codes should help.

I'll have to look through those settings.  I just haven't had enough time to mess around with it yet.  I'm with you, I prefer the look of the Mega Drive as well, but I already have like six different Genesis models lying around, and I don't need any more consoles.  I don't mind doing mods, but I usually skip region mods if the Everdrive can get me around it (like with my PC Engine).
Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

Turbo EverDrive    EverDrive N8    SD2SNES    EverDrive64 v3    EverDrive GB    EverDrive GBA    Master EverDrive    Mega EverDrive    EverDrive GG

Offline Kyle

• Game Genie Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 07:24 PM »
Yeah I was pretty actively collecting carts before getting an ED. I probably wouldn't bother with the region mod if I had gotten one first.

Offline Chrono256

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2016, 12:34 AM »
It's not that, as I said I'm just too bad with soldering iron and wires (I broke a MegaDrive 2 years ago trying to mod it). I used to collect carts too and can't play something 'cause of the region lock, in fact I looked for a good offer for a modded MD for long time but had some issues etcetera. After all I was thinking EverDrive woulda solve that (and solve money problems too since MegaDrive prices are getting like triplicated or quadruplicated in the last months) and... well, it works well with Game Genie Guy.
Sooner or later I'll get a modded MD too, I know it's awesome (I have a modded SNES and I know real the "comfortability" of that), and it always have a different feel too to play with original carts, but for now seems more than ok with EverDrive and Game Genie Guy. Thanks again!

Offline AW87

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2016, 10:13 PM »
I also not modded my Megadrive and SNES by my own. Here in Germany where i live, are some factorys where you can sent your console and then they make it. I am also not an expert in modding, but i think, making a manual switch on the console is something that i can get right by my own. But i wanted the switchless mod, where you can see on the LED-color in which mode the console is and where you can switch through the modes (50FPS/60FPS) and (eur/jap/us) with the RESET button of the Megadrive. And this was more complex so i had fear of breaking something. Therefore i sent my consoles to Wolfsoft here in Germany and they did it. Was not cheap (think about 60,- Euro at that time), but i am very satisfied with the result. What i also like about this kind of modding is, that the case stays completely untouched and you dont need to make holes ore other changes to the case.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 10:18 PM by AW87 »

Offline filevans

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2016, 02:09 PM »
hello all
I can't get Sensible Soccer - International Edition (E) (M4) [!].bin working on my japanese mega drive, i have patched the rom using GGGuy using the codes from http://www.gamefaqs.com/genesis/916377-genesis/faqs/60595

Sensible Soccer - International Edition
(USA code)    (Japan NTSC code)    (Japan PAL code)
CA5A-AR3J     CWFT-CR30            CA5A-AR3J
CWFT-CR30     6LFT-CN4Y            6LFT-CN4Y

I've tried both Japan NTSC codes and Japan PAL codes, and still the blue message comes up saying this cartridge is made only for European Mega drives

also i tried turing region free to 'off' which is a trick to get James Pond underwater agent working

does anyone know how to get this game running? thank you

« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 05:16 PM by filevans »

Offline Kyle

• Game Genie Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2016, 04:38 AM »
This rom worked on my Japanese Mega Drive with no patching. Set "Megakey State" to On. Otherwise you do get the error.

Sensible Soccer - International Edition (Europe) (En,Fr,De,It).md

Offline filevans

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2016, 12:46 PM »
No mega key on everdrive md, only mega everdrive
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 01:25 PM by filevans »

Offline Kyle

• Game Genie Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2016, 02:53 PM »
Sorry about that. I found a bypass code for US consoles (which does work) but does not help our Mega Drive situation. I asked Tony if he could modify it. See here.

http://gamehacking.org/vb/threads/4595-New-Game-Genie-Codes?p=97071#post97071

Offline phoenixdownita

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2016, 03:29 AM »
No mega key on everdrive md, only mega everdrive

I beg to disagree, it says right here:
http://krikzz.com/store/home/34-everdrive-md-v3.html

Features:

Supports 99% of games from SEGA library
SEGA Master System Games supported
SEGA 32x games supported
CD-BIOS Loading function
Hardware MegaKey
Max. ROM size up to 7Mbyte
Return to menu after reset
High compatibility with chinese clone systems
SRAM auto backup on microSD card
Supported microSD up to 32GB
FAT16 and FAT32 are supported
GameGenie cheat codes
Simple menu

Check the manual:
http://krikzz.com/pub/support/everdrive-md/v3/manual/edmd-v3%20user%20manual%20%20EN.pdf
page 6:
Game Region: The value should match the ROM region (not the console region). This option is
set automatically every time the user changes the game.The MegaKey feature uses the value of this
option to disable region protection. The user can change this parameter manually, in case the OS
detects the ROM region incorrectly.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 03:32 AM by phoenixdownita »