Author Topic: Feature Request: VI-deblur (now possible using GS)  (Read 40895 times)

Offline saturnu

• ヽ(^o^)丿
    • View Profile
    • :D
Re: Feature Request: VI-deblur (now possible using GS)
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2016, 05:03 PM »
actually there is another way - without searching for the video table, which is failing from time to time.
i've written a prototype patcher, but i was too lazy to add the commandline flags. so i just didn't release it. ^^

Quote from: saturnu
hm,
instead of searching and patching the video table and osViSetSepcialFeatures, it seems to be enough to patch osViSwapContext hardcoded (for most lowres games), too.

star fox 64 us:
file offset 0x2828E -> 21 08 32 0E

8E 28 00 0C - lw t0 0xC($s1) //some addr offset
AD A8 00 00 - sw t0, 0xA4400000 //VI_STATUS_REG

to

21 08 32 0E - addi t0, 0x320E //NTSC_LPN1
AD A8 00 00 - sw t0, 0xA4400000 //VI_STATUS_REG

source:
Is it possible to disable anti-aliasing in N64 games via GameShark cheats?

after that, i modified an emulator so i can find the right VI access location for games the patcher is completely failing
there is one proof of concept patch for "conker's bad fur day" available

dl:
Is it possible to disable anti-aliasing in N64 games via GameShark cheats?

if someone is very desperate and in the mood to patch the missing games manually, maybe i can write up some instructions on how to do so. :>

Offline dreimer

• View Profile
    • Reimi's Blog
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2016, 07:06 PM »
I understand that many games are special cases. I just wanted to have patches for PAL games first, too. The ~140 games missing (only counting the auto patched here, I know it's less already) would be another step then.

Btw: These seem to work, after I fixed the script to make APS patches in the right direction.... FROM no-intro one TO patched ^^

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30053674/AUTO.7z Can someone test a bit? I believe to see differences, but thats not a confirmation for me and my crazy brain ^^

Offline GBM

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2016, 01:10 AM »
@dreimer
Tested Starfox 64 and can tell you your patches do work. Unfortunately they don't solve the issue that appears with turning the dither filter off, previously already described in this thread.

@saturnu
Could you please release your prototype patcher? Makes me wonder if it'll make any difference.

Offline saturnu

• ヽ(^o^)丿
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2016, 01:22 AM »
it doesn't make any difference.
it just can patch a few more games but not all the missing ones.

i think instead of finishing a slightly improved patcher, a toturial on how to patch the last roms would be a useful step further to get the job done. ^^
but maybe it's too difficult and it's not worth the effort to write it up. ^^

Offline dreimer

• View Profile
    • Reimi's Blog
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2016, 01:28 AM »
Well, if it's doable... I'd like to see some of the missing games getting a patch and maybe could help there. Pokemon Snap for example ^^ All the not working sports games (and maaaany are just that) are of no interest for me though.

Offline Martorell

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2016, 10:32 PM »
There's two games in which I have special interest for being possible to Disable AA: Perfect Dark and Super Smash Bros.

Both of them suffer from slow-down that can make them barely playable. Perfect Dark has enormous Framedrops in Hi-res mode, and Super Smash Bros lags in doubles (competitive ssb64 fella here hehe). The reason I'm talking about framerates is because I've seen that disabling AA on Pokémon Stadium 2 (which runs on 480i using an Expansion pak), looks much better, and improves framerate stability a lot. Just by looking the intro makes it evident.

IDK if this counts as a petition, but if someone could find the Gameshark codes for those two (or at least teach me how to find them by myself), Id be so grateful. Thank you in advance.

Offline saturnu

• ヽ(^o^)丿
    • View Profile

Online fabio_rosendo

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2019, 08:47 PM »
Is there a way to convert these Gameshark codes to .APS format ??
I loved to use the Auto Patcher in Everdrive, without permanently change the Rom.
I want to convert the Conker's Game Shark code to APS format.
Conker's Bad Fur Day (U)
8102BD8C 0000
8102BD8E 3216
8102BDBC 0000
8102BDBE 3216
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 11:25 PM by fabio_rosendo »

Online fabio_rosendo

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2019, 11:59 PM »
There's another gameshark code i want to convert to .APS
Sin and Punishment - Successor of the Earth (U) [!].z64
F1046150 0000
F1046152 0000
81060C0C 0000
81060C0E 3212
81060C3C 0000
81060C3E 3212
But......... i'm think no one knows how to convert Gameshark > APS.  :'(

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2019, 02:21 AM »
I thought someone already created a zip file with VI-deblur patches for all N64 games.

EDIT:

Here you go: http://n64.poregon.com/shared/
      (above is a link from RetroRGB's page on deblur here: https://www.retrorgb.com/n64blur.html)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 03:01 AM by ozidual »
Projects: Zelda OoT GCtoN64, Doshin the Giant, SSSV, Sim City 64, Getter Love, Shiren
Flash Carts: EverDrive64 2.5, EverDrive N8, SD2SNES

Online fabio_rosendo

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2019, 03:55 PM »
This zip file don't include Revision Roms, English Translated Roms and other games.

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2019, 09:25 PM »
Ahh, I see.  It's still not too difficult to use the existing patches to make patches for the translations/revisions.  Patch the existing rom.  Compare it to the unpatched ROM.  Search for that section of code in the revision/translation, and make the changes.
Projects: Zelda OoT GCtoN64, Doshin the Giant, SSSV, Sim City 64, Getter Love, Shiren
Flash Carts: EverDrive64 2.5, EverDrive N8, SD2SNES

Offline Junninx

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2020, 05:13 PM »
 Hello guys, I'm just a Common guy who doesn't know nothing you guys are saying, but this seems important, would someone mind to TLDR this topic? What is this, what it does, anything...

Thank you! Sorry for the inconvenience

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2020, 12:51 PM »
It isn't important, just a matter of taste. The N64 has a blur filter feature that some games are using to make edges smoother. Some people doesn't like it as it also makes graphics blurrier, so they hack the games to turn the filter off.

I think most first party games looks fine, and turning off the filter seems to make them too sharp. Some third party games do have a very muddy look though. You just have to decide yourself if you want to hack a game and see if you like it better with the filter off or not.

Note that this has nothing to do with the Everdrive 64. This is a feature used by the developers of the games, and the real cartridges will look exactly the same as on the ED64. It's just that flashcarts like the ED64 makes it easy for us to run hacked roms.

Further reading:
https://www.retrorgb.com/n64blur.html
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 12:55 PM by nuu »

Offline Immorpher

• View Profile
    • YouTube Page
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2020, 06:26 AM »
After seeing this topic, I checked out to see if I can make Doom 64 sharper. It looks like Doom 64 did do much to soften the edges of polygons. But I tried it anyway and patched it with the Poregon page and another APS patcher utility (http://micro-64.com/features/jfgpatch.shtml) and it didn't change anything I could see in the game. I remember Quake 64 had an option within the game to turn off the smoothing which was pretty neat. And I think having it off did improve the Quake 64 visuals (no patcher needed though).