Author Topic: It seems that games won't play on Super Everdrive ALSO won't play on SD2SNES....  (Read 11601 times)

Offline leoncrise

• View Profile
I know that there are few games only supported by SD2SNES not the Super Everdrive,  but just very limited amount, Super everdrive can do 99% of what SD2SNES does.

A bunch of classic games still crying on the corner, Yoshi island, Mario RPG, Star Fox, etc.

Ikari said almost every special-chip-games can be supported in the future by software update, but I don't see any progress compared to last year.....one of my friend bought a SD2SNES one year ago, and he is looking forward to the progress of special chip games....but one year later, I bought a SD2SNES too, and still, those good games can't work on SD2SNES at all (i know a few games can work now, but no famous game), I think the first priority is to support at least first party games, like Mario , Yoshi, Star Fox, those games are shining stars, it's like a pain in the ass if a 190 dollars SD2SNES isn't compatible with them.

That being said, why I bought a SD2SNES? I don't see many advantages compared to Super Everdrive, compatibility speaking.

Sorry for the rudeness, But I had been waiting for so long for some valuable breakthrough, I wish I could donate to accelerate the progress.

Offline leoncrise

• View Profile
Ikari said in July 2011:

"Development is now going on to implement the enhancement chips. The following are currently supported:

S-RTC
BS-X / Satellaview
DSP1
DSP1b
DSP2
DSP3
DSP4
ST0010
MSU1

So, now is 2016, what really disappointed me is........SD2SNES still only support those chips!!!!!

S-RTC
BS-X / Satellaview
DSP1
DSP1b
DSP2
DSP3
DSP4
ST0010
MSU1"

Nothing changes...... where are the enhancement chip updating things? I don't see any change in compatibility.

aloram

I asked this question a few months ago, and Ikari responded with some information. I know it doesn't give you much of an answer, but it's the most recent "update" I'm aware of.

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=3539.0

Offline goombakid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I wish I could donate to accelerate the progress.

I'd like to first off that I'm not speaking for Ikari01, whatsoever, nor KRIKzz, nor any of the developers involved...However...

You could donate time to the programming end of things. The SD2SNES is open source.

You could donate time to helping him take care of his kids so he could have time to work on the firmware.

This is possibly a hobby for him. I feel the pain of waiting for other chip implementation as well. However, if you're not happy waiting, several options are available:

-Sell your SD2SNES and invest in a Super Everdrive
-Seek out the games that are not yet implemented on the SD2SNES (this I've done, just need SMRPG)
-Emulation via PC

Offline leoncrise

• View Profile
I wish I could donate to accelerate the progress.

I'd like to first off that I'm not speaking for Ikari01, whatsoever, nor KRIKzz, nor any of the developers involved...However...

You could donate time to the programming end of things. The SD2SNES is open source.

You could donate time to helping him take care of his kids so he could have time to work on the firmware.

This is possibly a hobby for him. I feel the pain of waiting for other chip implementation as well. However, if you're not happy waiting, several options are available:

-Sell your SD2SNES and invest in a Super Everdrive
-Seek out the games that are not yet implemented on the SD2SNES (this I've done, just need SMRPG)
-Emulation via PC

yeah, I am wrong, I should not be so rageful, I was told that he had been sick for 2 months, I suddenly feel that I am really sorry for what I have said......

god bless him.....I'll directly buy those cartridges that weren't supported by SD2SNES,as you have suggested..... I no longer want to push him, a man with a family and not very healthy......

aloram

Keep in mind that certain games are a lot cheaper if you get the Super Famicom version, such as Kirby's Dream Land 3.

Offline hunterk

• View Profile
It's also worth noting that the chips that are currently supported by SD2SNES are simple DSPs and math co-processors that had their internal code dumped a few years back, while the SuperFX and SA1 (the two major chips that are missing) are full-fledged CPUs that run several times faster than the SNES' own CPU and are much more difficult to emulate.

On that same note, don't hold your breath for Hayazashi Nidan Morita Shogi 2...

Offline leonquest

• View Profile
It's also worth noting that the chips that are currently supported by SD2SNES are simple DSPs and math co-processors that had their internal code dumped a few years back, while the SuperFX and SA1 (the two major chips that are missing) are full-fledged CPUs that run several times faster than the SNES' own CPU and are much more difficult to emulate.

On that same note, don't hold your breath for Hayazashi Nidan Morita Shogi 2...

Lol, you're into shogi?
Everdrive64 V3 - SD2Snes rev. f - Everdrive N8 fami - MegaEd X3 - PS IO - MODE - MISTer

Offline hunterk

• View Profile
haha, no, I only mention it because that game relies on a 32-bit ARMv3 CPU that runs at 21.47 MHz to handle the opponent AI, so I doubt it's going to be supported by SD2SNES any time soon.

Offline Great Hierophant

• View Profile
haha, no, I only mention it because that game relies on a 32-bit ARMv3 CPU that runs at 21.47 MHz to handle the opponent AI, so I doubt it's going to be supported by SD2SNES any time soon.

I guess the cartridge must play a mean game of Shogi with those kind of specs.   :)  Actually, shogi is almost as complex as 19x19 square Go, so the coprocessor must be useful.
Check Out My Vintage Video Game & Computing Blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/

Offline D4v3WTF

• View Profile
If ikari can implement the Super-FX and the SA-1, I'm very happy with it. The other chips are not necessarily for me. I've own the my favorite special chip games, so no problem for me.
N64 PAL Games Collection: 204/243
N64 PAL Demo Collection: 1/1
N64 Region Free NTSC Games: 1
Everdrive 64 v2.01 modded UltraCIC II
SD2SNES Rev. F modded Rev. H

Offline Johnny23b

• View Profile
I rather prefer Save States and a real Game Genie and Pro Action Replay Code feature.
Most of the games with Special Chips are not too expensive.
I already bought all the other available games except those who really aren't good enough.
Super Mario RPG is the only game I don't want to buy.
The Price is too high, but there are also reproductions for cheaper on the net.
So if someone is interested in this game, go get it. :-)
I also think, someone who is interested in Retro Games, should buy those games, which are worth it.

Offline leonquest

• View Profile
I rather prefer Save States and a real Game Genie and Pro Action Replay Code feature.
I already bought all the other available games except those who really aren't good enough.
I also think, someone who is interested in Retro Games, should buy those games, which are worth it.

Where do you buy your repros? most repro sites that I know of will sell these games at $50-60 bucks and up. Games like Dragon Quest 5 will go for $100 dollars.

http://www.gamereproductions.com/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=2
http://www.ocdreproductions.com/SNES_GAMES/cat1560737_1440860.aspx
https://www.videogamesplus.ca/snes-reproduction-games-c-54_46_771.html
http://www.jcretail.ca/super-nintendo/

Besides, the whole point of having the SD2snes is being able to play these games on it, we paid for the most expensive flashcart on the net for a reason.

I don't expect Ikari to do all this as I know its just a hobby for him and he's got kids and all, but I'm hoping someone else contributes to the project at some point. I wish I had programming skills, I would be thrilled to do this.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 01:43 AM by leonquest »
Everdrive64 V3 - SD2Snes rev. f - Everdrive N8 fami - MegaEd X3 - PS IO - MODE - MISTer

Offline TDIRunner

• View Profile
This list of compatible and non-compatible games is known and well documented.  All buyers know that there is risk that the non-compatible games may never be compatible....ever.  It's a risk you take.  The good news is that they seem to hold their value pretty well, so if you truly have the buyers remorse on the SD2SNES, you should easily be able to get most of your money back on a sale which would easily pay for a Super Everdrive.  I went with the SD2SNES because I got a good deal on it and I'm happy with it.  If they add any game to the compatibility list in the future, that will just be a bonus for me. 
Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

Turbo EverDrive    EverDrive N8    SD2SNES    EverDrive64 v3    EverDrive GB    EverDrive GBA    Master EverDrive    Mega EverDrive    EverDrive GG

Offline Johnny23b

• View Profile

Where do you buy your repros? most repro sites that I know of will sell these games at $50-60 bucks and up. Games like Dragon Quest 5 will go for $100 dollars.

http://www.gamereproductions.com/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=2
http://www.ocdreproductions.com/SNES_GAMES/cat1560737_1440860.aspx
https://www.videogamesplus.ca/snes-reproduction-games-c-54_46_771.html
http://www.jcretail.ca/super-nintendo/

Besides, the whole point of having the SD2snes is being able to play these games on it, we paid for the most expensive flashcart on the net for a reason.

I don't expect Ikari to do all this as I know its just a hobby for him and he's got kids and all, but I'm hoping someone else contributes to the project at some point. I wish I had programming skills, I would be thrilled to do this.

I think you won't get them cheaper than what you found.
Of course, everybody would be happy if those Special Chips would be implemented someday, but if you don't want to wait as Long as it takes, you could buy the game and later sell it back again.