Author Topic: GBA everdrive question  (Read 30237 times)

Offline 24Fanatic

• View Profile
GBA everdrive question
« on: February 15, 2016, 08:02 PM »
It's my understanding that a new everdrive is in the works for the Gameboy advance. This may be a stupid question, but the only handheld system I currently own is a DS Lite. Since this system has a cart slot for gb advance games, would it be possible to play Gameboy Roms on it with a Gb advance everdrive, or will the software not work in this way? I only ask because I don't want to buy another piece of hardware if I don't need to. If it won't work, then I guess I'll start the hunt for a reasonably priced Gb advance sp. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone directly into your brain using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 08:37 PM by 24Fanatic »

Offline Mickkn

• View Profile
GBA everdrive question
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 08:04 PM »
I think it will work, but most ds flash cards has gba support afaik

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline TDIRunner

• View Profile
Re: GBA everdrive question
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 10:17 PM »
My guess is that it would work, but there is really no way to know for sure until more information is released.  In my opinion, a Game Boy Advance SP is better for playing GBA games anyway compared to a DS or DS Lite.  So if you can find one for a good price, I would go ahead and pickup one up. 
Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

Turbo EverDrive    EverDrive N8    SD2SNES    EverDrive64 v3    EverDrive GB    EverDrive GBA    Master EverDrive    Mega EverDrive    EverDrive GG

Offline 24Fanatic

• View Profile
GBA everdrive question
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 01:24 AM »
Thank you for the responses, guys! I've just started looking into this, as I've got a hankering to play the old Gameboy games I used to have as a kid. I received an original system the first Christmas it was available here in the U.S. Maybe a more relevant question for the forum here would be if anyone knows if the everdrives are capable of backwards compatibility? That information may be a better place to start with so I can make a better decision as to what equipment I need to purchase.

Offline TDIRunner

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 07:57 AM »
Thank you for the responses, guys! I've just started looking into this, as I've got a hankering to play the old Gameboy games I used to have as a kid. I received an original system the first Christmas it was available here in the U.S. Maybe a more relevant question for the forum here would be if anyone knows if the everdrives are capable of backwards compatibility? That information may be a better place to start with so I can make a better decision as to what equipment I need to purchase.

I asked a similar question a while back, and while we don't know for sure, the general consensus seems to be that the GBA Everdrive will probably not be able to play GB or GBC games.  Fortunately The GB Everdrive is pretty affordable, so I already purchased it for GB and GBC games.  If the GBA Everdrive ends up being backwards compatible, that would be awesome, but it would make the other model obsolete.
Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

Turbo EverDrive    EverDrive N8    SD2SNES    EverDrive64 v3    EverDrive GB    EverDrive GBA    Master EverDrive    Mega EverDrive    EverDrive GG

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 11:40 AM »
The NDS can't play Game Boy games. It only has the hardware for some GBA games (no linking though) like the GB Micro, and unlike the GBA, GBA SP and Game Boy Player.
I have no idea if it's possible to cram both a GB and GBA flashcart in the same case without the cost going up though. And then there's the problem of the physical shape of the cart that triggers either GB or GBA mode in a GBA.

Offline 24Fanatic

• View Profile
GBA everdrive question
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 05:00 PM »
Thanks again, guys, for the responses. You make very valid points, nuu. Obviously, I only play the games, and am pretty much oblivious as to the technical aspects of the hardware. Lol! I PM'd Krikzz with my OP from this thread, and here's the answer straight from the horse's mouth:

[/quote]

Hi.
Cart will play only GBA games
[/quote]

So it appears a Gameboy Advance SP and an Everdrive GB are in my "to buy" list.

Offline TDIRunner

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 06:05 PM »
Ha ha.  That's pretty helpful.  We are sitting here speculating, and Krikzz comes right out and answers the question. 

That makes me glad that I bought my GB ED.  I know now that it won't become obsolete when the GBA ED comes out (although I was 99% sure of that anyway).

Go ahead and buy a GB ED now and enjoy it while you wait for the GBA ED.  You won't regret the purchase.

Offline SmokeMonster

• Puzzle Bobbler
  • tsst tchh chh ch ch ch
    • View Profile
    • SmokeMonster YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 10:13 PM »
Even if the GBA-EverDrive doesn't natively support GB/GBC games, the GBA can still emulate them at 60fps using Goomba Color (as well as NES, SMS, and GG).

I released a packs of these emulators in anticipation of the GBA EverDrive.

That didn't stop me from buying an EverDrive-GB though :D
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 01:00 AM by SmokeMonster »

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2016, 11:51 AM »
Sure you can use Goomba Color, but using emulation kind of defeats the purpose of flashcarts, playing on the real hardware (emulators aren't that accurate). I don't think Goomba Color supports linking either.

Even if Krikzz is able to cram in a GB flashcart in the GBA ED, I don't think he would like to make one of his own products obsolete just like that.

Offline SmokeMonster

• Puzzle Bobbler
  • tsst tchh chh ch ch ch
    • View Profile
    • SmokeMonster YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2016, 03:36 AM »
I completely agree, emulating GB on GBA is just an interesting novelty compared to the real thing.

I don't think that GB/GBC on the EverDrive GBA would necessarily conflict with EverDrive-GB sales though, in the same way that the Mega/MD doesn't make the Master EverDrive obsolete. Since the only way to play the games on the real hardware is still to purchase the matching flash-cart. It would also add a huge feature to smash the crappier EzFlash type carts too.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2016, 10:36 AM »
If he made it the size of a GBA cartridge it wouldn't be playable on a Game Boy. But if he made it the size of a GB cart it could be played on both, but it would stick out on a GBA.

Offline Link83

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2016, 01:32 PM »
Its not really feasible to make a combined GB/GBC and GBA cartridge. Here why:

The GBA and GBA SP have a switch inside the cartridge slot that tells the handheld to boot in 'GB/GBC mode'.

This is not a 'pin select' switch, but a physical mechanical switch inside the GBA/GBA SP cartridge slot (Incidentally the GB micro has a solid piece of plastic instead of the switch to prevent GB/GBA games from being inserted)

The original GB/GBC cartridge shell shape presses this switch down, but GBA games dont press it as they have a groove at the side (Take a close look at a GB/GBC and GBA cartridge shell) You can even see the switch if you look into a GBA/GBA SP cartridge slot under a bright light.

In addition GB/GBC and GBA games run on different voltages - GB/GBC cartridges run on 5V, but GBA cartridges run on 3.3V. The switch mentioned above also changes the voltage present on the cartridge slot depending on the inserted cartridge.

I'm sure a GBA Everdrive will support a GB/GBC emulator, but it wont be running on the actual GB/GBC hardware.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 03:52 PM by Link83 »

Offline opt2not

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2016, 08:33 PM »
I'm pretty sure Krikzz wouldn't support both GBA and GB/GBC in one unit, when he can sell 2 different flashcarts for full price.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2016, 02:17 AM »
Both these things have been said many times in this thread already.