Author Topic: Fix your non-working No-Intro rom for Everdrive N8 or Powerpak  (Read 46528 times)

Offline Redifer

• DO! BASEBALL!
    • View Profile
    • Game Sack
Re: Fix your non-working No-Intro rom for Everdrive N8 or Powerpak
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2013, 08:56 PM »
Hey Skinny V is there a possible HEX fix for Karnov (USA)? All of the others on this list work fine for me except Karnov which has glitchy graphics.

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2013, 10:25 PM »
Yeah, replace the first 16 bytes of your rom from ''4E45531A080840000000000000000000'' to ''4E45531A0808E0C00000000000000000''

Offline Redifer

• DO! BASEBALL!
    • View Profile
    • Game Sack
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2013, 12:54 AM »
Excellent. Works great, thanks!

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2013, 10:41 PM »
New fix added for:

Nazo no Murasamejou (Japan) (Famicom Disk System)

The patch should also work on the fan translated version by Spinner8, it will give a patching error because the CRC will not match but it should still give you a working patched image.

Offline sammargh

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2013, 02:23 AM »
I haven't tried this yet but have you tried running the set through this python script? Looks like it might do all the dirty work for you.

http://nwserver.ath.cx/wordpress/2012/05/30/ines-header-fixer/

Edit: yeah, it's finding a ton of them... I'll provide a whole list once it's done going through my romset. Here's my checks on Asia & Europe. I think this might be a much easier approach. I verified because the ones I tried have garbled graphics.

http://pastebin.com/EbsBPbyz
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 02:46 AM by sammargh »

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2013, 02:34 AM »
I haven't tried this yet but have you tried running the set through this python script? Looks like it might do all the dirty work for you.

http://nwserver.ath.cx/wordpress/2012/05/30/ines-header-fixer/

I actually mentionned it in the compatibility problem thread. In theory it would be perfect but I can't get it to work for now and another thing is that I found a bunch of games in the no-intro set that work with an incorrect mapper assigned and get broken once you correct the header to assign the proper mapper so we'll end up with rom that used to work but don't anymore after running the script. Plus, if the people using my patch are not capable of manually correcting the header themself, I think it's quite possible they won't be able to play with Python script.

Offline sammargh

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2013, 02:46 AM »
What OS do you use? I was able to get it to function on OSX. Windows I will probably be of no help though.

Offline Redifer

• DO! BASEBALL!
    • View Profile
    • Game Sack
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2013, 02:50 AM »
So has a fix been possible for Rad Racer 2 yet?

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2013, 03:59 AM »
I'm on Windows but as I said, if fixing certain incorrect game's header mean that they will no longer work on my Everdrive N8, I won't risk having a script fix my whole set. Otherwise it will be very hard to figure out which game are affected and why. You can see for yourself with Family Boxing, lupin Sansei or family stadium 87 for example. Those are among the 10 or so game I found work on the Everdrive N8 with mapper #4 assigned instead of #206 and get broken once assigned the correct mapper. If you have used the script I'm pretty sure those games won't work properly anymore for you.

As for Rad Racer 2, only an update from Krikzz (or someone able to code a third party verilog mapper file) will be able to fix it as the issue is most likely due to mapper logic issue.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 05:19 AM by SkinnyV »

Offline sammargh

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2013, 05:16 AM »
Here's the full list of headers that differed http://pastebin.com/xPCy5AsP

Gonna run a few and see how they run, but it will likely be a good go-to for patching these games.

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2013, 05:18 AM »
Can you test the few game I mentioned in my previous post to see whether or not they work on your everdrive? I had fixed most of the Tengen game's header like Toobin but I found that they were working both with and without the proper mapper so did not bother to release any patch to fix those.

Offline sammargh

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2013, 06:11 AM »
Gauntlet is mapper 4 like Rad Racer 2 and can't be fixed until 4 screen mirroring is fixed.

As for Alien Syndrome for example - the mapper is really odd but also uses the RAMBO-1. It is based off mapper 118 which a few unlicensed games use but because it has it's own ASIC they gave it a different mapper number - 158. So the invalid header will work, but the valid one will not as krikzz has said 158 is unsupported.

On the "working" version it was given mapper 118

Compare the two:
http://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/INES_Mapper_118
http://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/INES_Mapper_158

Theoretically 158 should work fine, it's the same thing but with Tengen's hacked up mapper.

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2013, 06:25 AM »
I am aware of those things. My question is about the specific game I tested to be working before fixing the incorrect header like Family Boxing, Family Circuit, Lasalle Ishii no child, Lupin Sansei and a bunch of other. Are those specific games working on your Everdrive once the script is done correcting their headers? This is my issue about mass fixing the header for Everdrive N8. If it fix most games but mess up other, it will get really tricky to manage compatibility threads and questions of everdrive's user. My goal is not really to fix the No-Intro set problematic header for them but to make the most out of our Everdrive. So if fixing some headers render more games unplayable (even if the new header's info is the correct one) then it is not going to help Everdrive users in the short run.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 06:32 AM by SkinnyV »

Offline sammargh

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2013, 06:39 AM »
I just tried Lupin Senpai, Pro Yakyuu Family Stadium '87, Family Boxing, Family Circuit and Lasalle Ishii no Child (jesus christ what a long intro) and with my patched versions on mapper 206 from that python script they all work fine with the proper headers. Do you have any other ones that are throwing issues?

Also at least from my perspective if the Everdrive is going to rely on the headers than it should be using the proper headers, not these mislabeled hackjobs floating around. Even GoodNES is full of bad headers. I tested Gauntlet (Tengen) [!] from it and the graphical glitches are 1:1 to the bad header versus having the proper header. You can tell because the starting screen on each is entirely different.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 06:42 AM by sammargh »

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2013, 07:00 AM »
That is weird because I did correct those game with proper information and it broke them. I'll try them again. Also, I agree with you completely that all header should be correct as the everdrive rely on them. That is why I kept a list of those that would have issue once assigned with the correct mapper. I corrected many other games from my set but did not release any patch since they were working with or without the correct info and didn't want to confuse peoples. I'll definitely check those few game again. If it turn out that they do work, it would be very good news as It will mean that the script can auto fix all those thing.