Author Topic: v2.4 SuperGrafx Glitches  (Read 27013 times)

Offline SmokeMonster

• Puzzle Bobbler
  • tsst tchh chh ch ch ch
    • View Profile
    • SmokeMonster YouTube Channel
Re: v2.4 SuperGrafx Glitches
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2016, 02:10 AM »
Well, technically v2.4 worked perfectly with SuperGrafx as long as you insert it correctly. Maybe v2.5 has a standardized thickness?

Offline hyrulebr

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2016, 02:45 AM »
Well, technically v2.4 worked perfectly with SuperGrafx as long as you insert it correctly. Maybe v2.5 has a standardized thickness?

Hi Smoke!

I took all of your advices and didn't get v2.4 to work on SGX. Tried near 100 times to get the right position! Always glitches or freezing.

But bought a TED 1.2V and worked from the first time!

I take both cards side by side and for me they have the same thickness, so maybe the problem is another one.

Offline SmokeMonster

• Puzzle Bobbler
  • tsst tchh chh ch ch ch
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2016, 08:33 PM »
Have you tried using a different set of SGX roms? Could you post an image of the glitches that you're getting?

Offline hyrulebr

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2016, 08:48 PM »
Yes, I tried your pack (and a big THANK YOU for your packs  ;) and also 3 others different sources.

I made an thread in pceginefx foruns with pictures:

http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=21370.0

Basically Daimakaimura freeze after a few minutes, Mado King Granzort I have some glitches in sprites and 1943 it freeze in a boss (latter stage, I didn´t remember what stage).

But with V1.2 all these games worked like a charm...

So, I´m interested in info about V2.5 with SGX if it will work like V1.2

Thanks

Mauricio

Offline SmokeMonster

• Puzzle Bobbler
  • tsst tchh chh ch ch ch
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2016, 01:10 AM »
Glad you enjoy them. I think that we should wait for Krikzz to explain what was going on, and if it was addressed in v2.5. I imagine that he'll want to test it rather heavily before announcing anything.

Offline dariodb

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2017, 11:27 PM »
I can confirm the same glitches on my end, Daimakai Mura glitches and crashes, many other games glitch out. Mine is a v2.4 Even non-SGX games like  New Adventure Island present terrible graphic glitches. Tried a different microSD card with same results (one was 4GB the other 8GB, both SanDisk). The same TBED works on my Core Grafx and DUO R flawlessly. Does Krikzz monitor this forum?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 02:28 AM by dariodb »

Offline SmokeMonster

• Puzzle Bobbler
  • tsst tchh chh ch ch ch
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2017, 05:58 AM »
Hopefully krikzz or krikzz team can fill us in.

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2017, 05:08 PM »
Tested all SGX games with TBED v2.4, but i can not reproduce any of mentioned problems, New Adventure Island working fine also

Offline dariodb

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2017, 05:30 PM »
Tested all SGX games with TBED v2.4, but i can not reproduce any of mentioned problems, New Adventure Island working fine also

Is that your final answer?

Maybe more testing is required, there are a few people experiencing this issue.

Offline lapaz

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2017, 07:07 PM »

The game freezes after 2 minutes while playing "Paranoia" (a PCE game) on the Supergrafx with TBED 2.4, but it works well with 2.5

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2017, 10:39 PM »

The game freezes after 2 minutes while playing "Paranoia" (a PCE game) on the Supergrafx with TBED 2.4, but it works well with 2.5

Most of TBED v2.5 use new revision of PSRAM memory chips, which i start to use recently instead of old revision. May be this is why they working (if tested both on same console). During genesis mega x3/x5 development i discover that ISSI memory chips has problems with refresh mechanism at some conditions, but at same time i discover that ISSI start selling new revision of their psram chips (TBLL markering on the package instead of BLL). I ordered few samples for test and they all working just perfect with mega x3/x5, i decide to use new revision of chips for TBED also. Anyway i can't say anything for sure about problems with SGX, because i can't reproduce any of mentioned problems on my SGX  with TBED v2.4, even with old revision of psram chips. I tested all games, then i leave working Daimakaimura for few hours, but nothing happens. May be it happens only with specihic SGX motherboard revision, or only with specific pait of cart/console.

Offline dariodb

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2017, 11:59 PM »
OK, then the solution for me would be to get a V2.5 since sending my 2.4 back isn't an option due to shipping charges. Any chance you can offer a discount on a V2.5 with new PSRAM chip? I bought mine under the understanding that it would work on SGX. There was no mention of possible problems with certain motherboard revisions.

Offline SmokeMonster

• Puzzle Bobbler
  • tsst tchh chh ch ch ch
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2017, 06:48 AM »
Thanks for the thorough explanation, Krikzz :)

Offline Brachabre

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2018, 01:08 AM »
Just got an unmodded Supergrafx. I also own a TED v2.4.

I've been trying out some SGX games from SM's pack:

- Aldynes works as expected as far as I can tell.

- Daimakaimura (ghouls n ghosts) is good up until about 30 seconds into level 1. Glitches and game crashes.

Update: Ghouls n Ghosts still crashes 20 seconds into level 1 after a bunch of card reseatings.   

« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 08:46 AM by Brachabre »

Offline stlpaul

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2018, 03:32 AM »
Just for another data point...

I have both a TED v2.4 and v2.5 and the SGX games work perfectly on my SuperGrafx with both. There are no differences between the functionality of the two cards as far as I have seen, no crashes or glitches.

Both of my cards have exactly the same thickness, there is no difference. v2.5 has a different shaped tip, so it goes in more smoothly, v2.4 is more difficult to insert (push really hard and then CLICK! it slams in).

My SuperGrafx is not modded (no region-free, no RGB)... 
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 05:37 AM by stlpaul »