Author Topic: Fix for Super Mario Adventure  (Read 12501 times)

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
Fix for Super Mario Adventure
« on: February 26, 2013, 02:15 AM »
For those of you trying to play Super Mario Adventure on your Everdrive N8, you will need to re-patch your original Super Mario Bros. 3 rom with the following patch and also put this blank save file in your Everdrive N8 save folder. Rename the SRAM file to match your Super Mario Adventure rom. You'll need Super Mario Bros. 3 (U) (PRG1) [!].nes from a goodnes romset to use that combined patch.

What the patch does:

• Patch the original Super Mario Bros. 3 rom to convert it to Super Mario Adventure
  • Fix the SRAM initialization bug present in the hack - This is the biggest modification and all credit/thanks goes to aWal for going through the game ASM and fixing this

• Pad the rom to 512Kb as the hack has a unusual CHR size

The combined patch was made by Infiniteneslives from NESDev to save trouble for people with no Hex Editing experience. I also included the original individual patch and read-me from aWal for those of you interested in the technical side of thing.

Download:

http://www.skinnyv.com/misc/Super_Mario_Adventure_Flash_Cart_Patch.rar

P.S: As of now, the Everdrive N8 seem to put *.nes extension to it's save file so until it is sorted out just rename your save file to match your nes rom and put *.nes extension. (Apparently, this is intentional and won't be fixed)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 09:18 PM by SkinnyV »

Offline Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
Re: Fix for Super Mario Adventure
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 01:50 PM »
I totally missed this.  I found another romhack with the exact same bug:

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1186/

If it's not too much trouble I really think we should get this one going too.

*edit*

This patch works great awesome!  I combined it with my rgb fix patch to make a rgb friendly version:

http://www.mediafire.com/?apor602x9ap3poc

Mario adventure runs on a rgb ppu and a n8 no problem (you don't even need an empty save file for the n8).  Just apply this patch to your standard mario 3 rom and it'll turn it into a version of mario adventure that runs on anything and everything.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 10:44 PM by Drakon »

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 02:52 PM »
excellent game :) its brill how on one level it was dark and rainy, when i died, went back to the same level and it was daytime and sunny :D love it!!

drakon http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/70/ is for this game, dont u mean metroid hack?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 02:56 PM by dvd2vcd »
ED64 v2.5 - MEGAED X7 - TED v2.4 - SD2SNES rev F - EDN8 fami - EDGB X7 rev B

Offline Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 03:14 PM »
excellent game :) its brill how on one level it was dark and rainy, when i died, went back to the same level and it was daytime and sunny :D love it!!

drakon http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/70/ is for this game, dont u mean metroid hack?

Haha whoops yes the metroid hack.  I updated my post.

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 07:44 PM »
You shouldn't confuse people by adding a un-needed patch to it. Or at least explain it's only for those RGB modded nes, your post make it sound like it's needed. Or if it's not what it does then at least explain what it is. How is it a more universal version if it only cater to people with swapped ppu?

You also removed all the read-me files and credit for the original patch which isn't cool IMO.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 12:12 AM by SkinnyV »

Offline FlashRockinMan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 10:19 PM »
Can someone repost the Super Mario Adventure patch fix for the Everdrive N8? just realized that this is one of the few games that does not work for me and the above link is dead. Thanks.

Offline Erizisto

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2015, 08:09 PM »
I don't have SkinnyV's actual archive, but the patch is still available from a dropbox link posted by infiniteneslives near the bottom of this page:

http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?t=5177&start=90

The blank save file mentioned in the first post is not needed.  I tested without it, and the game saves and loads fine.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 08:15 PM by Erizisto »

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2015, 09:15 PM »
The link is working, it was just down a bit while I was switching host.

Offline wkupike2000

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 01:15 AM »
You shouldn't confuse people by adding a un-needed patch to it. Or at least explain it's only for those RGB modded nes, your post make it sound like it's needed. Or if it's not what it does then at least explain what it is. How is it a more universal version if it only cater to people with swapped ppu?

You also removed all the read-me files and credit for the original patch which isn't cool IMO.

So as a new everdrive owner, I'm really confused. Do I need to do something in order to play Mario Adventure or not? Thanks!

Offline Missingno255

• hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 03:57 AM »
So as a new everdrive owner, I'm really confused. Do I need to do something in order to play Mario Adventure or not? Thanks!
Owned Everdrives: Everdrive MD, Mega Everdrive, Everdrive N8, Everdrive GB X5, Turbo Everdrive, Super Everdrive, Everdrive GBA

Misc Flashcarts: SD2SNES

Offline wkupike2000

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 04:36 AM »
Thanks for the link but being so new to this, I have no idea how to use it. I'm assuming I must use it to play Mario Adventure and would appreciate further guidance.

Offline SuperDerpBro

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2015, 05:23 AM »
Thanks for this fix

Offline greeneyedmonsta

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2019, 02:14 AM »
i apply the patch, but after i install it in my n8 and try to play it just glitchy, i am a new owner as i just bought an n8 a week ago, have no idea what to do.

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2019, 03:26 PM »
Its been a while and I’m not sure if its still needed but did you follow the instruction and put the blank sram file on your sd card?

Offline Rockman55

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2019, 10:36 PM »
Tried your solution step by step. Still have garbled graphics. Just wasn’t meant to be I guess.