Author Topic: Using Famicom N8 on NES with Krikzz 72-pin adapter + Blinking Light Win  (Read 3139 times)

Offline goldenband

• View Profile
I have in mind the following hardware combination:
  • "toaster" front-loading NES with Blinking Light Win installed and 10NES chip disabled (cut pin);
  • the Famicom version of the EverDrive N8;
  • Krikzz's 60-to-72 pin adapter for playing Famicom games on NES.
Will that combination work? Will everything physically fit together? Will I run into any compatibility issues?

The backstory is that I bought a Famicom EverDrive N8 because I had given up on getting my NES working reliably and planned to get an AV Famicom, but then the Blinking Light Win I bought solved all of my NES connectivity problems. So now I feel foolish, but hope that this hardware combination will keep me from having to buy another console (or another EverDrive).
Have EverDrives: N8 (Famicom), Master ED, Turbo ED, ED MD, Super ED, ED 64, ED-GB, ED-GG, ED-GBA X5

Other flashcarts & multicarts: Harmony (Atari 2600), Cuttle Cart 3 (Intellivision), 233-in-1 (Odyssey^2), 72-in-1 (Vectrex), LynxSD (Atari Lynx), SD2SNES

Offline goombakid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Pretty much how I'm playing my FL NES now, but not with KRIKzz's converter. I'm using an OG Honeybee converter. Zero problems.

Offline goldenband

• View Profile
Pretty much how I'm playing my FL NES now, but not with KRIKzz's converter. I'm using an OG Honeybee converter. Zero problems.

Awesome, that's exactly what I needed to know. Thanks a bunch. :)
Have EverDrives: N8 (Famicom), Master ED, Turbo ED, ED MD, Super ED, ED 64, ED-GB, ED-GG, ED-GBA X5

Other flashcarts & multicarts: Harmony (Atari 2600), Cuttle Cart 3 (Intellivision), 233-in-1 (Odyssey^2), 72-in-1 (Vectrex), LynxSD (Atari Lynx), SD2SNES

Offline theoakwoody

• View Profile
Sorry to hijack but I didn't want to start a new thread and this is somewhat related.  I wanted the same setup as was described above even though I do have an AV famicom I always dreamed of getting the FM chips working with my toaster.  So everything obviously works with the famicom N8 with The Krikzz converter but famicom carts won't work because of the tabs on each side.  I used pliers to snap off the tabs of krikzz' converter to use a real akunajo cart in a toaster and it worked like a charm.  I find that The audio emulation of the n8 for fm games is really good but not spot on so it was nice to hear the real thing through my toaster. 

Oh and for anyone who is wondering you can't use a gyromite converter to hear fm as it isn't wired correctly to do so.  I trieds to verify that krikzz' converter would pass through the audio correctly but I guess I suck at searching these forums.  Just wanted to verify that his converter works great for making the audio mod work on a toaster.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 06:43 PM by theoakwoody »