Author Topic: Games Not Working / Bug Reporting Thread  (Read 45487 times)

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
Re: Games Not Working / Bug Reporting Thread
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2013, 02:35 AM »
Well, if they would take the time to correct the header issue on the currently available set it wouldn't be of any use.

Offline elmo069

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2013, 02:37 AM »
The No-Intro NES DAT completely ignores the header. That's why they don't bother fixing headers.

Offline Majestic_Lizard

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2013, 02:59 AM »
I've got a question about Star Tropics I & II.

I've read that there was a mapper by Loopy that made this work on the Power Pak?
http://home.comcast.net/~olimar/NES/

How similar is the Power Pak to the N8 and could that fix be made to work on the N8?

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2013, 03:05 AM »
Yes, a similar fix can be applied just like Loopy did but the powerpak mapper file and everdrive mapper file are not compatible. But Krikzz will be the one handling that since coding mapper logic for a flash cart is no easy feat. The issue (well Krikzz can correct me on that) is that the MMC3 and MMC6 are almost the same in term of logic. The problem is that because of that huge similarity, the MMC6 and MMC3 share the same iNES mapper # yet they are not the sam. So the issue lie in finding a way to have the Everdrive N8 differentiate between a game using MMC3 and another one using MMC6. It is usually a simple matter of checking the mapper # assigned in the header but in that case we can't just do that since they share the mapper #.

If it was me, what I would do is take one of the unassigned mapper number, re-tag the 2 game that use MMC6 (Only used in Startropic 1&2) with that mapper # and then add it to the Everdrive N8 mapper file. It's not the best way to just take a unused mapper because you never know when that mapper will be assigned to something else but it would be easier and more practical than implementing some kind a CRC check or filename check to detect if it is a game that use MMC6 (plus that would add load time upon booting the game).
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 03:39 AM by SkinnyV »

Offline Majestic_Lizard

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2013, 04:26 AM »
I found some information about the Star Tropics games. It is far too technical for me to understand, but maybe someone else could benefit from it:
http://kevtris.org/mappers/mmc6/index.html

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2013, 05:41 AM »
BTW, the no-intro dump of The Magic of Scheherazade seem to work fine for me. Same thing for The Uncanny X-Men. I think they could be removed from that list as it must be do to a bad dump. Rad Racer 2 is indeed having graphical issue tough.

Offline Majestic_Lizard

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2013, 07:10 AM »
BTW, the no-intro dump of The Magic of Scheherazade seem to work fine for me. Same thing for The Uncanny X-Men. I think they could be removed from that list as it must be do to a bad dump. Rad Racer 2 is indeed having graphical issue tough.

Done. My roms were corrupted somehow.

Offline phoenixdownita

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2013, 07:30 AM »
Rad Racer 2 is indeed special, according to http://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/INES

Flags 6
||||||||
||||+||+- 0xx0: vertical arrangement/horizontal mirroring (CIRAM A10 = PPU A11)
|||| ||   0xx1: horizontal arrangement/vertical mirroring (CIRAM A10 = PPU A10)
|||| ||   1xxx: four-screen VRAM
|||| |+-- 1: SRAM in CPU $6000-$7FFF, if present, is battery backed
|||| +--- 1: 512-byte trainer at $7000-$71FF (stored before PRG data)
++++----- Lower nybble of mapper number

Some mappers, such as MMC1, MMC3, and AxROM, can control nametable mirroring. They ignore bit 0. On the other hand, if bit 3 is true, the cart has 4 KiB of RAM at PPU $2000-$2FFF, and it ignores the mapper's CIRAM A10 output (as in Rad Racer 2). One exception is #218, which uses the four-screen bit to switch between one-screen and V/H mirroring.

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2013, 07:14 PM »
Should not be hard to fix mmc6 problem. I working over mega-ed update, after that i will back to N8

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2013, 04:09 AM »
I do not think listing game that use an unsupported mapper like Castlevania 3 (USA) would be productive since the reason why they are not working is well known to anyone willing to take a look at the official mapper chart. The US version of Castlevania 3 use MMC5 (iNES mapper #5), the most complex mapper available on the nes. I would suggest just using the translation patch for the japanese version Akumajou Densetsu since it is superior anyway (in my opinion) because of the added sound channel.

As for Kujaku Ou, I suggest checking your rom as the mapper used by this game (iNES mapper #1 - MMC1) is very simple and supported by the Everdrive N8. My Everdrive N8 has no issue running that particular game.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 04:18 AM by SkinnyV »

Offline stonie

• the red eye'd mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2013, 04:22 AM »
i think it was skinny, i could be wrong, that made an unofficial compatability list based off which games run on which mappers, it shouldn't be too hard to find and it is on this forum somewhere
flashcarts- acecard 2i, everdrive md, everdrive n8, cyclo ievolution

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2013, 04:23 AM »
I do not see the need for such a thread since the mapper chart show all the supported mapper and my unofficial compatibility list also show those games with unsupported mapper (red = unsupported mapper, green = supported). You have a link to that list on your first post of this thread. I also just updated the list to reflect a few new mapper added by Krikzz since the first OS and also edited a few game to show that they are no supported as of now even though their mapper is (Startropic 1 & 2).
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 05:08 AM by SkinnyV »

Offline Majestic_Lizard

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2013, 05:23 AM »
I do not see the need for such a thread since the mapper chart show all the supported mapper and my unofficial compatibility list also show those games with unsupported mapper (red = unsupported mapper, green = supported). You have a link to that list on your first post of this thread. I also just updated the list to reflect a few new mapper added by Krikzz since the first OS and also edited a few game to show that they are no supported as of now even though their mapper is (Startropic 1 & 2).

I reorganized the first post based on your ideas.

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2013, 05:26 AM »
Cool, might update the link to the compatibility list though as the one you have won't work. You should link to the thread of the unofficial compatibility list instead of directly to the file otherwise you'll have to update the link every time I update the list.

Offline Majestic_Lizard

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2013, 05:48 AM »
Cool, might update the link to the compatibility list though as the one you have won't work. You should link to the thread of the unofficial compatibility list instead of directly to the file otherwise you'll have to update the link every time I update the list.
If you could give me the links you want here and I'll stick them in.

I think I'll put a link to your in progress thread and then intermittantly update a link to your pdf as time goes by (but with an as of such-and-such date next to it)