Author Topic: Games Not Working / Bug Reporting Thread  (Read 46296 times)

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
Re: Games Not Working / Bug Reporting Thread
« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2013, 08:19 AM »
Definitely use PAL rom if you are playing on a European nes. The console's timing are different and game can have graphical bug and anomaly when played at the wrong frequency.
i can vouch for that, lion king pal wont run correctly on my famicom av  :'(
ED64 v2.5 - MEGAED X7 - TED v2.4 - SD2SNES rev F - EDN8 fami - EDGB X7 rev B

Offline flashaholic

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2013, 12:21 PM »
Is there some type of command/line in the game coding that sets the timing to either NTSC or PAL? If so, is it possible to hex-edit a rom to make it use NTSC or PAL timing?

Definitely use PAL rom if you are playing on a European nes. The console's timing are different and game can have graphical bug and anomaly when played at the wrong frequency.
i can vouch for that, lion king pal wont run correctly on my famicom av  :'(

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 29, 2013, 03:36 PM »
i wouldnt know where to start hex editing a rom, perhaps skinnyV may shed some light but im sure he said before it cannot be done

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 29, 2013, 04:44 PM »
i asked the same sort of question before and i cant rmemeber exactly what the answer was but was something like the ntsc and pal nes are different regarding the way the cpu works and the games couldnt just be region patched. the game would have to be completly reprogrammed for either region.
 if there are usa games that don't work on my pal nes i may end up having to get a usa nes aswell. i wouldn't mind a top loader but i would have to get a rgb modded one because rf only sucks.

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
« Reply #64 on: May 30, 2013, 12:06 AM »
It is impossible to just hex-edit a rom to switch it to another region. The reason is that the NTSC and PAL NES have different CPU/PPU. They are not clocked at the same frequency speed and since nes game are programmed with a specific clockspeed in mind and rely on that precise number for a multitude of thing, it is not possible to just switch region. Most game will work when played in a differents region but they will usualy play at a slower or faster speed (depending if you are playing on a PAL or NTSC console), music might play with a different pitch/speed and also some random GFX issue might occur. For exampleThe Smurf, which is a PAL game can play on NTSC NES but Gargamel's sprite (the last boss) is messed up andmake it close to impossible to complete the game.

So while it could be possible for an entreprising hacker to convert a game to another region, it would be a very challenging project. Certainly not just a quick hex editing job or something like that unfortunatly.

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 30, 2013, 03:16 AM »
so that being said, proper nes enthusiasts who want to play on real hardware would be better of owning both region consoles imo.
 i would get me an av famicom but they can be rather expensive from what i gather. anyone know a site selling rgb modded usa nes top loaders?

Offline Travoltron

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 04, 2013, 09:22 PM »
Space Shuttle Project (USA); the graphic of the Space Shuttle at the very beginning is all screwed up.

Also, Cheetahmen II needs to be added to the "mapper not supported" pdf.

Offline wolfpacleader1986

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2013, 03:36 PM »
Anyone have issues with Galaxian? On the No-Intro set, the first one is saying "Mapper Not Supported", but the REV. A is giving me a black screen. On the latest BIOS and firmware.

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 12, 2013, 09:51 PM »
Anyone have issues with Galaxian? On the No-Intro set, the first one is saying "Mapper Not Supported", but the REV. A is giving me a black screen. On the latest BIOS and firmware.
I would happy, if you, guys, will use good set before than report about some problems. No-intro set it is already the problem with lots of bad roms. goodset rom works just perfect Galaxian (J) [!].nes

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
« Reply #69 on: June 12, 2013, 11:40 PM »
I would happy, if you, guys, will use good set before than report about some problems. No-intro set it is already the problem with lots of bad roms. goodset rom works just perfect Galaxian (J) [!].nes

Goodset are horribly outdated and come with so much crap and bad dump that it should disappear IMO. No-Intro dump are perfect except for a few wrong header which is not part of the original game code. I prefer editing the header of a few good dump than to play an overdump with a good header.

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 12, 2013, 11:43 PM »
personally i just use the [!] clean roms from goodsets the
  • overdumped roms i dont usually bother with anyway..

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2013, 12:42 AM »
Well, the [!]  ''clean'' dump from goodnes are not always clean. For example, the [!] version of Galaxian that is working on the Everdrive N8 is actually an overdump and not a clean dump unlike the No-Intro version. Galaxian is 16kb but the goodnes dump is 24kb. As weird as it sound, that is the only way to run the game on the Everdrive N8 or on most emulator (unless the emu support a database for headerless rom) as of now. Galaxian is actually one of the smallest NES game and use a mere 8K of PRG. Problem is, the ines standard was not designed with such small PRG in mind. This is not really surprised considering how badly thought and flawed the first iNES standard was but what I find stunning is that 8K PRG still doesn't seem  properly supported in the rewritten iNES 2.0 standard which was supposed to fix the shortcoming of iNES 1.0... So as of now, this is one of the exception where we'll need to use a bad dump in order to play a game.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 12:45 AM by SkinnyV »

Offline The_Atomik_Punk!

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 13, 2013, 12:44 AM »

Goodset are horribly outdated and come with so much crap and bad dump that it should disappear IMO. No-Intro dump are perfect except for a few wrong header which is not part of the original game code. I prefer editing the header of a few good dump than to play an overdump with a good header.

I completely agree. I personally don't see why the Goodrom compilations are advised/recommended in the user manuals. There's definitely a lower incidence of error using the No-Intro Sets which are regularly updated/revised, as opposed to being filled with bloated, buggy junk from, I don't know, 1996 or something with the Goodroms.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 12:46 AM by The_Atomik_Punk! »

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2013, 12:55 AM »
Yeah, pretty easy remove all except [!] from goodset, after that you will take almost same clean romset like no-intro, but in better quality. Personally i prefer to keep whole romset, cuz sometimes [!] may not work by some reasons(some games with protection or some other possible specifics), but some other rom will definately work. Problems with no-intro is a common thing, and not only for nes, i receive feedbacks from no-intro users again and again. I did not used no-intro a lot, but fact that i receive a lot of feedbacks with problems from users who use this romset, makes me think that no-intro have a lot of bad roms. Problems usually disappear when user trying goodset rom

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2013, 02:27 PM »
For not mentioning all the bad FDS images No-Intro has. I like No-Intro's philosophy with only clean dumps but they still have a long way to go. And I don't care for their new policy of excluding iNES headers. I consider the header also to be part of the game since it contains info about the cartridge that the rom chip doesn't have.