Author Topic: Excellent Dizzy Collection  (Read 8562 times)

Offline iddod

• www.soundcloud.com/iddod
    • View Profile
    • my music on soundcloud
Excellent Dizzy Collection
« on: March 14, 2013, 09:50 PM »
does anyone know of a way to get this rom to work?
i'm talking about the renamed gamegear rom, not the sms prototype... i can get it to boot, and select games, but the graphics are kinda messed up, like anything the player can control is 1/4 way down the screen...
i know people are having trouble with this same rom on the everdrive gg... but i don't want to use my gamegear, if i did i'd be playing the actual cartridge, which i own...
is there an AR code anywhere that can help? or do i have to lose my eyesight playing it on a tiny GG screen?
hope someone can help...

EDIT : actually, the same goes for CJ Elephant Fugitive, i'm buggered if i can start a game, it gets as far as "press start" on the intro screen and doesn't respond to button presses...
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 10:01 PM by iddod »
ED64 : EDN8 : TurboED : MegaED : EDGG : EDGB : MasterED : EDGBA : SuperED

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
Re: Excellent Dizzy Collection
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 10:53 PM »
i don't think themapper is supported with some of those codemasters games. i can run that mapper with my master everdrive but not with everdrive md. not sure if mega everdrive supports it. the master system proto version of dizzy boot on my master everdrive but wont play. the game gear version works fine after being renamed to sms. except some of the games in the compilation require you to press atrt which the sms don't have.

Offline keropi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 12:11 AM »
it's not a mapper issue, those Codemasters games use some "rare" screenmode that was removed from megadrives and sms2 IIRC

Offline iddod

• View Profile
    • my music on soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 10:25 PM »
so theoretically it'd work on my original long master system if i used an sms everdrive? but not on my short stumpy master system?
was kinda hoping i didn't need to buy one of them seeing as i have the megaED... hmmm... wonder how much i can spare out of my wage, already committed to a ED64 as part of another forum's bulk buy... :-)

Offline iddod

• View Profile
    • my music on soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 10:28 PM »
the master system proto version of dizzy boot on my master everdrive but wont play. the game gear version works fine after being renamed to sms. except some of the games in the compilation require you to press atrt which the sms don't have.

sounds like the same issue i had with CJ, crying shame cos it's a lovely lil game, but the GG screen is bad on my eyes...

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 04:08 AM »
@ keropi. yeah your right i remember now. the video mode uses more lines or something. it's supported with my (long) model 1 pal master system. not sure if ntsc model 1 master systems support it though. probably not.

@iddod. the only everdrive i aint getting is the game gear one. don't like the screen either. i emulate game gear on the xbox 1. i was tempted to buy a game gear though a few weeks back. it had been serviced with all new caps and everything so it had screen display like new.

Offline madmax2069

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 06:59 AM »
@ keropi. yeah your right i remember now. the video mode uses more lines or something. it's supported with my (long) model 1 pal master system. not sure if ntsc model 1 master systems support it though. probably not.

@iddod. the only everdrive i aint getting is the game gear one. don't like the screen either. i emulate game gear on the xbox 1. i was tempted to buy a game gear though a few weeks back. it had been serviced with all new caps and everything so it had screen display like new.

That's not saying much, even new I thought the screen was garbage. Not saying the GG is a bad system because its not. I do own a gamegear but it hardly gets any use just due to the screen. I would almost take normal GBA in a dark room compared to a gamegear.

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 05:54 PM »
thats why i didn't end up buying the refurbished one in the end. i remember how bad the screen was when the game gear was a new handheld. replacing all the caps is still only polishing a turd. i wonder if anyone done a serious mod job on the game gear to get it hooked up to a tv or replace the screen display or something. maybe none of this is possible but surely someone would have thought of a genius way to improve the game gear.

Offline JimmyMz

• I am a Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2013, 07:35 PM »
The screen could be replaced, but you're going to pay for this http://www.amazon.com/Monitor-Support-Resolution-Automobile-Rear-view/dp/B006MPRFJQ/ref=sr_1_30?ie=UTF8&qid=1363455055&sr=8-30&keywords=4.3+lcd+screen BUT after that, you will love the Game Gear. I've already done this mod on a Sega Nomad and the results are fantastic. I'm going to do the Game Gear also but I have other projects that I'm working on right now. This mod is pretty darn easy, if you have the skills. I'm fairly certain there's a write-up on the procedure on Sega-16 forums or mmmonkey if you need some advice, and/or assistance.  :)
Nothing for sale right now, but more stuff coming soon. Message me on this forum by clicking the envelope icon under my name.

Offline Chilly Willy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 09:45 PM »
The extra screenmode is on the SMS2, not the SMS1. It was mainly aimed at European SMS consoles, so there are a scant few European SMS1 models that have the special VDP as well as most SMS2 consoles. The modes are not on most SMS1 models, nor on the MD in SMS mode.

Offline keropi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 05:15 AM »
Chilly Willy is (as always) correct  8)

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 08:01 PM »
@ Jimmy - modding the game gear with that screen would be interesting. if it makes the game gear actually look half decent i may consider getting one.
 i was never sure if the probs with the game gear looking so crappy was only screen related. the games look ok emulated on my xbox which got me thinking in the past... does the game gear look crappy because of the screen itself or how the system displays the games.
 with me not being very technically minded it was always more of i wonder why thing than actually knowing anything.

@ Chilly Willy - i must have been lucky with my model 1 pal master system because it indeed does support the extra screenmode. i tried out micro machines cosmic spacehead and some other games reported to have issues.
 thats a first for me because if theres more than one version of something i always end up with the non working version and have to trade in and replace lol.

edit 1 - just got me thinking after posting this. with so many great game hacks about these days i wonder how hard it would be to hack some of the game gear games that run in sms mode so that when you can press the pause button on the master system instead of game gear start. i don't know if it's possible to fool the game gear roms so that sms pause is game gear start or not but if it is that would be cool.
 or just play the games on a game gear in the first place lol.

edit 2 - just done some searching and it seems that some game gear roms have had this type of hack to allow start to be pressed on the master system. mainly for games like sonic drift 2 which don'r run in sms mode so the palette also needed hacking making it a bigger job. mapping the start button to a combo on master system pad or the pause button for sms mode games like the dizzy one may be a simple hack to someone wit the knowhow.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 02:34 AM by butfluffy »