Author Topic: Feature request  (Read 14035 times)

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
Feature request
« on: March 21, 2013, 06:49 PM »
What features would you like the Everdrive N8 to have with a future update? Here's mine:

- Ability to config whether to use A or B to select option (to me the current button mapping doesn't feel natural, I'm so used to select thing with A)

- Support for the new INL-ROM Multi-discrete mapper so that future homebrews compilation can be played

- Visual cue (different color) as to which game are using unsupported mapper while browsing (would probably be difficult I know)

- ines 2.0 support After testing a few rom, it seem that NES 2.0 header are already supported!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 04:03 AM by SkinnyV »

Offline Majestic_Lizard

• View Profile
Re: Feature request
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 06:43 AM »
The ability to play Star Tropics I & II (with sound).

Experimental mapper for MMC5 support (I have no idea if that is possible).

Ability to select a game genie code as a text file instead of typing it in with the A, B, Select buttons.

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 10:19 PM »
save states :)
ED64 v2.5 - MEGAED X7 - TED v2.4 - SD2SNES rev F - EDN8 fami - EDGB X7 rev B

Offline Nudua

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 11:29 PM »

Offline Yggdrizzle

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 11:57 PM »

Offline arcade

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 02:40 AM »
I'd love to have an option for PPU-related palettes:

Option #1: Original Famicom PPU Palette [load roms as usual]
Option #2: .vs RGB PPU (RC2C03B) Palette [patches the roms' palette]

That would be so great.
All games would look like they were supposed to on RGB-modded systems.

Here's something that looks useful for this:
http://www.raphnet.net/electronique/nes_vs/nes_vs_en.php?section_id=10
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 02:51 AM by arcade »

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 04:17 AM »
What you are hoping for is not possible with just a flashcart. You would need to individually patch each games to replace problematic color with the closest available one and the palette is inside the PPU so the everdrive can not just replace it.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 04:19 AM by SkinnyV »

Offline Redifer

• DO! BASEBALL!
    • View Profile
    • Game Sack
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 06:17 AM »
What is so troublesome about the MMC5 that makes it impossible to support? Is it really that powerful? Castlevania 3 doesn't seem that impressive. Has anyone in the history of humankind ever been able to figure out the complex riddle from the gods that is the MMC5? Is the MMC5 more powerful than the Genesis?

Offline stonie

• the red eye'd mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2013, 06:22 AM »
soft reset back to menu maybe, i'm not hoping for it though i know my MD don't do it lol
flashcarts- acecard 2i, everdrive md, everdrive n8, cyclo ievolution

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2013, 07:53 AM »
What is so troublesome about the MMC5 that makes it impossible to support? Is it really that powerful? Castlevania 3 doesn't seem that impressive. Has anyone in the history of humankind ever been able to figure out the complex riddle from the gods that is the MMC5? Is the MMC5 more powerful than the Genesis?

It is not impossible to support, Powerpak and emulator support it to a certain extent. Of course you can get away with more thing on an emulator contrary to running something inaccurate on a real NES/Famicom. Castlevania 3 doesn't really exploit the MMC5 to it's full capacity though and the little it use was implemented on the Powerpak to make it playable. The thing about MMC5 is that it is a very powerful ASIC, much more than any other NES mapper and it is basically it's own micro-controller. Not everything is known about it yet as it wasn't fully reversed engineered. At some point someone will get tired and will pay to have it de-capped and we'll know everything about it to have accurate emulation/simulation. Actually, I remember that there was someone before planning on doing just that but I guess it fell through as we didn't hear about it for a while now. But until then, smart people will have to continue poking at the chip and try to figure out all it's secret the good old fashion way. But I wouldn't be surprised if Krikzz suddenly come out with preliminary mapper support for it at some point, there is enough information about that chip to simulate it with the Everdrive N8 FPGA and make a few games playable (albeit not completely accurately).
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 07:55 AM by SkinnyV »

Offline Majestic_Lizard

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2013, 11:43 AM »

It is not impossible to support, Powerpak and emulator support it to a certain extent. Of course you can get away with more thing on an emulator contrary to running something inaccurate on a real NES/Famicom. Castlevania 3 doesn't really exploit the MMC5 to it's full capacity though and the little it use was implemented on the Powerpak to make it playable. The thing about MMC5 is that it is a very powerful ASIC, much more than any other NES mapper and it is basically it's own micro-controller. Not everything is known about it yet as it wasn't fully reversed engineered. At some point someone will get tired and will pay to have it de-capped and we'll know everything about it to have accurate emulation/simulation. Actually, I remember that there was someone before planning on doing just that but I guess it fell through as we didn't hear about it for a while now. But until then, smart people will have to continue poking at the chip and try to figure out all it's secret the good old fashion way. But I wouldn't be surprised if Krikzz suddenly come out with preliminary mapper support for it at some point, there is enough information about that chip to simulate it with the Everdrive N8 FPGA and make a few games playable (albeit not completely accurately).

I know the hardware is different... However, the only differences I noticed with Castlevania III and the Japanese version (outside of the sound) is that some of the sprites are different. The NES version has the fleaman, where the Japanese version has little devils. The Zombies are also different in the US version than the Japanese version. I'd be happy if someone just made a hack and switched a few of the sprites and the title screens. Then you would basically have the US version, but with better sound.

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2013, 06:54 PM »
There's already a translation of the japanese version of Castlevania 3, but it doesn't switch back the few gameplay difference between the 2.

Offline Redifer

• DO! BASEBALL!
    • View Profile
    • Game Sack
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2013, 01:39 AM »
Thanks for the lowdown on the MMC5 SkinnyV. Are there any games that actually take advantage of some of the more advanced things it can do?

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2013, 05:28 AM »
Thanks for the lowdown on the MMC5 SkinnyV. Are there any games that actually take advantage of some of the more advanced things it can do?

It's capability wouldn't be so obvious to anyone but developer, contrary to game using special chip on the SNES for example. It is mostly used in complex Koei strategy game and other japanese exclusive. Off the top of my head I remember Just Breed using a lot of the extended capability offered by the MMC5. But as I said, it wouldn't be jumping in your face like playing Super Mario World and then switching to Star Fox on the SNES where the addition of the Super-FX would be very noticeable visually.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 02:53 AM by SkinnyV »

Offline wolfpacleader1986

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2013, 06:22 AM »
To go with what you said SkinnyV, the MMC5 was mostly used, outside of Castlevania III, in Koei strategy games.

One such instance is Uncharted Waters, which I would hope works on the Everdrive one day as I used to play the CRAP out of as a kid. Sure, I can always play the Genesis version, but it's not the same to me. As for Castlevania III, DEFINITELY go with the translated Japanese version. The sound is better, the sprites aren't censored, the animation is better. It's SUPERIOR and best yet, it's confirmed working on the Everdrive!