Author Topic: WTB a famicom to Nes adaptor  (Read 8737 times)

Offline Troyus

• View Profile
WTB a famicom to Nes adaptor
« on: April 07, 2013, 02:11 PM »
You know the one, the one needed for teh famicom N8 to run on my pal nes as per http://famicomworld.com/workshop/articles/nes-cart-converters/

I thought I had a cart with one in it but I opened it and nothing. (pins to the side and cant see chips from the end are not a garentee!)
My N8 is on the way.
Flash carts: game gear ED, megadrive ED, SNES ED, nintendo64 ED, N8 ED, GB ED, GBA ED, PSIO

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
Re: WTB a famicom to Nes adaptor
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 04:25 PM »
are you from the UK then? im selling one, just sold my PAL nes so i have no need for it, i bought mine from

http://www.retrogamebase.co.uk/nes-to-famicom-adapter-60-72-pin-converter-139-p.asp

i used it about 3 times so practically brand new
ED64 v2.5 - MEGAED X7 - TED v2.4 - SD2SNES rev F - EDN8 fami - EDGB X7 rev B

Offline Troyus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 12:03 PM »
Thanks for the offer but another member messaged me about his one that goes inside the nes case which I am keener on. tyty
Flash carts: game gear ED, megadrive ED, SNES ED, nintendo64 ED, N8 ED, GB ED, GBA ED, PSIO

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 01:21 PM »
I will produce multiregion famicom to nes adapters soon

Offline lord_raymon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 07:17 PM »

Sounds great!

Offline phoenixdownita

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 07:23 PM »

Yeahhhh!!!! That's good news. Would you also build the other converter (NES to Famicom, 72 to 60)?

I have a Famicom and to play NES games the converter I bought had to be modded (Castlevania 3 fix) and just for completeness I had to add the 10K resistors split circuit on the audio path (you never know when some new homebrew project would start pumping audio there).

The main problem that I found is that the top connector on the converter (the 72 pin, where you put the NES cartridge) is not exactly to spec, it is very similar but not perfect so that when I insert a game I need to make sure to push it all the way to one side (can't remember left or right). In Castlevania failing to do so will render garbled grafix so I know what to do from the get go rather than half way thru the game. I can see that the issue is the connector connecting 2 nearby traces if not aligned correctly, thus shorting a couple of signals, cheap hong kong converter, maybe it is just very hard to find the exact 72 pin connector these days and they just used the closest they had.

If you would make this type of converters I am pretty sure you would not overlook the tolerances and it will fit perfectly so finally we could play Nes over Famicom without so many issues.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 07:10 PM by phoenixdownita »

Offline reprep

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 07:29 PM »
one more vote for Nes to famicom adaptor.  i am tired of missing great local deals for nes games.
PM me if you want to sell your Everdrive MD.

Offline wolfpacleader1986

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 01:00 AM »
I have a Twin Famicom so the existing one on Stone Age Gamer won't work for me. Adding my vote as well for one that works on a Twin Famicom!

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 01:50 AM »
I have a Twin Famicom so the existing one on Stone Age Gamer won't work for me. Adding my vote as well for one that works on a Twin Famicom!

If they are the same as before, I remember them being fixable. If needed i'll try to find the thread again from when it was discussed at nesdev.

Edit: Here you go: http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?t=8091

With this mod it should even work with the Powerpak which is tough to get to work with adapter as far as I heard.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 02:09 AM by SkinnyV »

Offline wolfpacleader1986

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 05:13 PM »
I suck at soldering so that's not an option for me sadly.

Offline phoenixdownita

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 07:09 PM »

I was in the same boat (Sharp Twin) so this is what I got: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Famicom-72-pin-to-60-pin-adaptor-Converter-for-nes-games-Console-Nintendo-System-/230920790837?pt=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item35c3f3a335

I had to perform the fix for Castlevania 3 (which does require soldering and little grinding).
Drakon has a nice page where he explains what to do, I just followed it as my adapter had the trace swap exactly as his: http://consolemods.freeforums.org/viewtopic.php?t=27&p=747

Anyway as I said it does require soldering so not for everyone, but KRIKzz could whip up all of this for the rest of us while blindfolded and with his hands tied behind his back ;-).
Somehow I'm sure that if KRIKzz had the parts on his workbench he could just stare at them and they would self solder/self assemble in the right location ;-).