Author Topic: Romhacks won't run  (Read 8619 times)

Offline Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
Romhacks won't run
« on: March 23, 2013, 04:34 PM »
There's romhacks out there that won't boot on the powerpak unless you boot them with a save file.  On the famicom n8 I can't get them to boot under any circumstance.  Here's one:

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1186/

Here's another:

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/70/

Both of these I can get running on the powerpak but have no success on the n8.  I hope we can get these great hacks running.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 04:56 PM by Drakon »

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
Re: Romhacks won't run
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 06:04 PM »
i'm hoping all translated roms will work ok.

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 06:15 PM »
shame, good hacks aswell :(
ED64 v2.5 - MEGAED X7 - TED v2.4 - SD2SNES rev F - EDN8 fami - EDGB X7 rev B

Offline JimmyMz

• I am a Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 08:14 PM »
On the Everdrive N8 I can't get ROM hacks to boot under any circumstance, such as...
This ROM hack runs on RetroZone's PowerPak, but NOT on the Everdrive N8!
Even though we have our differences, I'll still help you out, because that's how I am. Take a look here for the fix.  http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=395.0
Looks like the Everdrive N8 needs more time to do what the PowerPak has already achieved. Hopefully krikzz doesn't lose interest and updates don't take months. People searching for a PowerPak experience might want to wait a few months before buying the N8...unless of course, they don't mind compatibility issues and have 100% faith in krikzz.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 08:21 PM by Jimmy »
Nothing for sale right now, but more stuff coming soon. Message me on this forum by clicking the envelope icon under my name.

Offline Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 01:49 PM »
On the Everdrive N8 I can't get ROM hacks to boot under any circumstance, such as...
This ROM hack runs on RetroZone's PowerPak, but NOT on the Everdrive N8!
Even though we have our differences, I'll still help you out, because that's how I am. Take a look here for the fix.  http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=395.0
Looks like the Everdrive N8 needs more time to do what the PowerPak has already achieved. Hopefully krikzz doesn't lose interest and updates don't take months. People searching for a PowerPak experience might want to wait a few months before buying the N8...unless of course, they don't mind compatibility issues and have 100% faith in krikzz.

Honestly I just let you win your pointless mini war.  I don't see the point in arguing with someone who refuses to admit defeat over even the smallest things.  I can think of a million better things to do than bicker with you endlessly.

I don't blame the n8 for this problem if anything I blame the powerpak being able to run buggy code which it really shouldn't be able to do.  Thanks for the link, I wonder how difficult it is to fix this bug with the metroid hack.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 01:52 PM by Drakon »

Offline JimmyMz

• I am a Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 06:16 PM »
Honestly I just let you win your pointless mini war. 
LMFAO.....
Nothing for sale right now, but more stuff coming soon. Message me on this forum by clicking the envelope icon under my name.

Offline Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 02:50 PM »
Yeah, I was disappointed when Metroid Plus wouldn't run. Another hack that won't run is Dr. Wario, for some reason (which is just a simple sprite/palette hack).

That's...odd.  Good thing I held onto my nes powerpak to be able to run all these hacks.  I don't blame the n8 I'm sure these hacks aren't done properly.

Offline freddogg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 01:26 PM »
That is correct, a lot of NES rom hacks were not tested on original hardware (some were but most aren't).  It will require many OS updates from krikzz to fix the bad headers in the roms.  Of course you can fix your own headers as well, but it's not recommended unless you have experience with programming or dumping NES carts.  Everdrive N8 will take time to make close to 100% but I feel it will get there, and surpass the powerpak quickly

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2013, 06:59 PM »
That is correct, a lot of NES rom hacks were not tested on original hardware (some were but most aren't).  It will require many OS updates from krikzz to fix the bad headers in the roms.  Of course you can fix your own headers as well, but it's not recommended unless you have experience with programming or dumping NES carts.  Everdrive N8 will take time to make close to 100% but I feel it will get there, and surpass the powerpak quickly

OS update won't be fixing any header, this is not up to Krikzz to do that but to the user to get a proper rom set. As for rom hack not being tested on hardware, it is true for older hack and less ambitious project. New project like Metroid save edition are usualy tested on accurate emulator and hardware. The fact that it work perfectly on the powerpak and modified cart prove that it is not because it was improperly coded like Mario Adventure.