Author Topic: PSIO Project  (Read 44805 times)

Offline magnus87

• View Profile
PSIO Project
« on: March 26, 2013, 05:48 PM »
Sony PlayStation 1 SD Card Cartridge Development Tool

PSIO is a cartridge that plug's into the back of your PlayStation 1 console, which will let you play your backed up PlayStation 1 games from an SD card.

It will also allow you to boot and run code you have programmed from an SD card on the actual PlayStation 1 console itself, making it a must have tool for homebrewers, developers and most importantly, gamers.

Release & Price: TBA

OFicial Page
Facebook Page
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 05:50 PM by magnus87 »

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
Re: PSIO Project
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 05:52 PM »
interesting, however i already have a debug ps1 and test ps2  8)
ED64 v2.5 - MEGAED X7 - TED v2.4 - SD2SNES rev F - EDN8 fami - EDGB X7 rev B

Offline Majestic_Lizard

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 07:56 PM »
You might want to read this first before donating.
http://tsumi.wordpress.com/2012/11/24/brief-update-on-a-notorious-scammer-taking-over-the-psx-scene/

".....has a bad habit at scamming people with fake promises about this piece of hardware called PSIO, which he based a PayPal donation account on".

A blogger isn't the greatest source, but he seems to raise some good points. I hope this is wrong and that the project is for real, but when there not even a proof-of-concept being shown running any type of game at all, it just doesn't smell right. Also, if this was for real I would expect to find far more people talking about it enthusiastically than what I've seen. In January the guy said his first batch would be out in February. It's March now. Where is it?

There is an old saying. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. This project has absolutely no proof of concept working prototype. The developer of the PSIO has a bit of a history and at least a few bloggers on the internet suspect the entire project is fraud.

If I wanted to, I could easily come up with my own PCBs stammped "Majestic Lizard Magic Money Creator Rev. 1.2". Photographs of PCBs that are not actually shown to be capable of doing anything are not proof of a working device. I'm sorry to tell you this, but if someone says they have a working prototype for a PlayStation 1 flash device, but that you have to give that person money to see proof, you are almost definitely being conned.

I'd love for this project to be real, but if you have been following this you would know that the developer has already made thousands of dollars off of his contributors and already promised that the final prototype would be released in March.

So where is it? Sorry, but it appears to be vaporware. Again, photographs of PCBs are proof of nothing. The real reason the site has taken the donation button down probably has more to do with avoiding legal problems with PayPal.

I have seen a "project work log" that is supposed to show photographs of this device working. However, it is suspiciously all photos. There are no videos showing an actual Playstation game being run from the device.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 08:11 PM by Majestic_Lizard »

Offline deksar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 08:26 PM »
http://tsumi.wordpress.com/2012/11/24/brief-update-on-a-notorious-scammer-taking-over-the-psx-scene/

".....has a bad habit at scamming people with fake promises about this piece of hardware called PSIO, which he based a PayPal donation account on".

A blogger isn't the greatest source, but he seems to raise some good points. I hope this is wrong and that the project is for real, but when there not even a proof-of-concept being shown running any type of game at all, it just doesn't smell right. Also, if this was for real I would expect to find far more people talking about it enthusiastically than what I've seen. In January the guy said his first batch would be out in February. It's March now. Where is it?

There is an old saying. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. This project has absolutely no proof of concept working prototype. The developer of the PSIO has a bit of a history and at least a few bloggers on the internet suspect the entire project is fraud.

If I wanted to, I could easily come up with my own PCBs stammped "Majestic Lizard Magic Money Creator Rev. 1.2". Photographs of PCBs that are not actually shown to be capable of doing anything are not proof of a working device. I'm sorry to tell you this, but if someone says they have a working prototype for a PlayStation 1 flash device, but that you have to give that person money to see proof, you are almost definitely being conned.

I'd love for this project to be real, but if you have been following this you would know that the developer has already made thousands of dollars off of his contributors and already promised that the final prototype would be released in March.

So where is it? Sorry, but it appears to be vaporware. Again, photographs of PCBs are proof of nothing. The real reason the site has taken the donation button down probably has more to do with avoiding legal problems with PayPal.

I have seen a "project work log" that is supposed to show photographs of this device working. However, it is suspiciously all photos. There are no videos showing an actual Playstation game being run from the device.

I agree every word, here.

Offline Majestic_Lizard

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 08:58 PM »

I agree every word, here.

I'm sure that just like me you would LOVE to be proven wrong. That would be fantastic if I had to eat my words.

Offline keropi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 06:53 PM »
I too would REALLY LOVE for this to become reality, but I seriously doubt it... I hope I am wrong

Offline magnus87

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 01:35 AM »
is it Fake??? NOOOO

I thought it was possible, as IDE-EXI adapter for GC

Maybe in the future Krikzz can develop something similar to PS, a "EverStation"

Offline RickyKustafason

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 02:43 AM »
is it Fake??? NOOOO

I thought it was possible, as IDE-EXI adapter for GC

Maybe in the future Krikzz can develop something similar to PS, a "EverStation"

Wow there is the ever cube  :o  Just replace the huge ide connector with a sd card plug and a chip to convert and it could be made so compact it would be like a memory card size.

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 01:50 AM »
Wow there is the ever cube  :o  Just replace the huge ide connector with a sd card plug and a chip to convert and it could be made so compact it would be like a memory card size.

Probably hard drive was used cuz sd cards is too small for disk image collections

Offline reprep

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 02:36 PM »
i feel dizzy whenever i see that gamecube hdd picture. and i see it a lot. someone, grab the hdd.
PM me if you want to sell your Everdrive MD.

Offline RickyKustafason

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 06:42 PM »

Probably hard drive was used cuz sd cards is too small for disk image collections

I remember gamecube used some proprietary mini-disks..most of them were way smaller than a dvd when they were ripped...so a 64gb sd card could hold a lot of them.

Offline Tricky

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 06:51 PM »
There's probably some cheap SD to IDE adapters you could use.

And from what I've read, the Ide-exi has variable compatibility, especially with games that use audio streaming.

Offline magnus87

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2013, 10:49 PM »
Is it Fake???

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IahKMYXEcM[/youtube]

Project PlayStation Input Output has been trying to load PlayStation 1 game images through the game system's parallel I/O port since 2010, and now it's ready to show off the first prototype. If piracy is your aim, then modchips that let users play burned discs and emulators that have been available through the console's 19-year history should suffice, but this project aims to bypass those methods. The potential benefits include easier homebrew support and playing of ripped discs on the original hardware without worrying about wearing out an aging console's laser. Eventually the team wants to load games and saves from an SD card, but in this demo video it's playing Klonoa: Door to Phantomile from an attached PC. As seen in the nearly ten minute video it does work, albeit slowly. As the video notes, optimizations for the USB controller and CD sectors that should speed things up have not been implemented yet. According to its FAQ, the PSIO team aims to have a final version done this year.

Source: GBA Temp>Engadget

Offline keropi

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2013, 11:27 PM »
very interesting!  8)

Offline Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2013, 05:24 AM »
Very awesome stuff if it were real.  Asking for donations for something that's not been seen in real life is sketchy for sure.  I'm still hoping someday someone can come up with a sd loader for the pc engine cd and sega cd.

Seriously if he's so l33t could he not have removed the cdrom cover and just jumped the case closing switch so the system thinks it's closed to show there's no cd being run?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 05:32 AM by Drakon »