Author Topic: At this point I'll just wait for the next gen of Snes flash carts  (Read 22297 times)

Offline Aether Knight

• View Profile
Re: At this point I'll just wait for the next gen of Snes flash carts
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2016, 07:11 PM »
it would be interesting to make a pool and see why people bought the sd2snes, bet 90% will answer they were attracted from the superfx potential support

- Access to nearly the entire SNES library. 'Nuff said

- As mentioned, Instant ROM loading. Takes me longer to decide which game to play!

- Outstanding accuracy....seriously, I've been on a "bug hunt" for games not up to snuff and I can't seem to find anymore since 2014. Most games, and by that I mean a good 99% of them, work just as a normal cart would.

- SMC Player. I really enjoy this option. Like having the BGM selection in every game, instead of only a select few.

- Can play imports/translations on intended system....yeah, sure you could play them via an emu+patch, but I like the fact I can load up a pre-patched rom of a translated RPG or others without paying $40-$50 for a reproduction cart. (I wish someone would tell me why the go out of there way to BUY a repro cart of a game when a flash cart essentially does the same thing?)

So with that being said It boggles my mind why everyone recently is so hung up on what it doesn't do. Sure, we miss out on a few select titles, but so what? Like previous posts mentioned...just buy those carts separately in addition to the SD2SNES. You still get off WAY cheaper then you would if you bought each game on its own.

Offline hking0036

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2016, 08:21 PM »
lol, and I'm the rude one... sorry if I hurted your fanboy feelings

quoting myself

I understand that this is no simple task, but precisely for that communication is very important and should have avoided false claims

in retrospect maybe I should have avoided the word claim and used hopes

it would be interesting to make a pool and see why people bought the sd2snes, bet 90% will answer they were attracted from the superfx potential support

I've been getting into collecting and I wanted to get an SD2SNES because it was the best option, Cx4 support, Instant loading, and firmware updates (not necessarily superfx, I have all the superfx games I need on cart already, but the prospect of having updates to add features means that there's always something interesting down the line). If you get a Super Everdrive with the DSP1/2/3/4 chip you're already looking at $120-130, so you might as well go the extra mile and get the better option. Plus, I don't see myself getting MMX2 or X3 anytime soon.

Offline MockyLock

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2016, 08:44 PM »
I myself bought the SD2SNES for MSU-1 games. And FMV games.
Just once in your life play the MSU version of DK Country 2....

Offline goombakid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2016, 10:34 PM »
I myself bought the SD2SNES for MSU-1 games. And FMV games.
Just once in your life play the MSU version of DK Country 2....

I got it mainly for CX4, but playing a MSU modded game, you'll never go back to the original ROM...ever.

Offline SmokeMonster

• Puzzle Bobbler
  • tsst tchh chh ch ch ch
    • View Profile
    • SmokeMonster YouTube Channel
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2016, 01:11 AM »
For tech savy, feature oriented people (most of us here), SD2SNES is the ultimate accessory. Instant loading and MSU-1 alone make it worth the extra cost, but it does so much more than that.

I personally could care less about Mario RPG or Yoshi's Island support. I own both carts and they're not the greatest games of all time as many would have you believe. It would be an interesting curiosity if they were supported, but I can't believe it's a show stopper for anyone. I wouldn't want the developer to invest much time into supporting them when he has other priorities. MSU-1 blew every one of us away when it came out, and I'd much rather have that than any other special chips.

Offline jjoepr

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2016, 07:53 AM »
Attracted to the sd2snes because of high compatibility of chips  currently supported.

Offline jjoepr

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2016, 07:58 AM »
Sa-1? Super fx? Look for snesunlimited and ask for starfox, yoshi' s island or super mario rpg cuz if people are just gonna wait then they should entertain themselves with repros of those games or better yet smrpg armageddon repro carts. No biggie if no support for the two final chips. There are options.

Offline Greg2600

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2016, 07:00 PM »
For tech savy, feature oriented people (most of us here), SD2SNES is the ultimate accessory. Instant loading and MSU-1 alone make it worth the extra cost, but it does so much more than that.

I personally could care less about Mario RPG or Yoshi's Island support. I own both carts and they're not the greatest games of all time as many would have you believe. It would be an interesting curiosity if they were supported, but I can't believe it's a show stopper for anyone. I wouldn't want the developer to invest much time into supporting them when he has other priorities. MSU-1 blew every one of us away when it came out, and I'd much rather have that than any other special chips.

The prime SA-1 and SFX carts can be had yes.  My issue with the SD2SNES is that it glitches far too much.  I had to get another SNES because my original barely worked with it.  It's NOT as solid as an Everdrive.

aloram

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2016, 05:20 AM »

The prime SA-1 and SFX carts can be had yes.  My issue with the SD2SNES is that it glitches far too much.  I had to get another SNES because my original barely worked with it.  It's NOT as solid as an Everdrive.
That's interesting, I've never had any problems or glitches with my SD2SNES. What kinds of glitches have you experienced?

Offline jjoepr

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2016, 08:03 AM »
Now with a new original power cord I have no glitches.

Offline Gumball

• Gumball Bunny
  • Heavy Metal Rabbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2016, 08:26 AM »
Now with a new original power cord I have no glitches.
The SD2SNES draws a lot of power. More so than a normal game. Those cheaply made off brand power paks are pathetic. That's usually where glitches and issues with flash carts come from.
All I wanna do is shred.

Offline polyh3dron

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2016, 10:16 AM »
Just buy yourself a copy of Super Mario RPG, Yoshi's Island 2 and Star Fox.

Offline goombakid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2016, 10:19 AM »
Just buy yourself a copy of Super Mario RPG, Yoshi's Island 2 and Star Fox.

That's been covered HERE.

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2016, 04:41 PM »
that multicart seems cool but maybe a little expensive, saying that it probably works out cheaper than buying all the games separately.
 does anyone know if there is a multi sa1 cart yet? would be nice to have a cart with the kirby and mario rpgand the other few good sa1 titles.

Offline krisk77

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2016, 04:57 PM »

I own 2 of them and SFX support was not a deal breaker each time. Buy the SFX and other unplayable titles or use emulation on a PC or a modded xbox. 

I'm happy with the purchase and so are others i know of who own one