Author Topic: 15" Sharp LCD EDTV  (Read 11872 times)

Offline Gumball

• Gumball Bunny
  • Heavy Metal Rabbit
    • View Profile
15" Sharp LCD EDTV
« on: March 28, 2016, 02:24 AM »
Link to Pictures http://imgur.com/a/LPy29 I've been using the above tv for my SNES and other older systems and it's been a godsend. It has CRT like input delay which is to say virtually non existent. I've ran 240p Test Suit on both the snes via s video and the original wii through component. On both systems I have done the manual lag test multiple times and gotten perfect button presses every time. Now I tested this one my crt also and its the same. Just for a comparison I tried it out on my 42 inch Sanyo HDTV. since it has an s video input on it. Both the snes and the wii had some form of input delay. I couldn't get it perfect meaning not missing a single button press but it is relatively low. The 15" Sharp LCD EDTV is just fantastic. The reason I've been using it instead of my CRT is because as we all know CRT's can have geometry problems like the screen either being misshapen, the corners being bowed, just things like that. They can also have color bleeding issues. Since this Sharp tv is an LCD those are pretty much gone. The picture looks crystal clear on it even with s video and looks great. The only issue I can see is that when you are moving like in a platformer the screen dims a little and I mean a really small amount. But that's pretty common in older LCD's I've noticed. Other than that it's fine. It won't in anyway effect play. Oh and of course I should mention in the 240p test suite on the wii I did all the tests like scrolling and the dropped tests and everything to make sure 240p was handled correctly through component for those of you who want to play ps1 on a ps2 through component or using a scart to component converter. All in all it's a fantastic tv. Also for those of you looking for something a little bigger than 15 inches sharp made larger versions of the exactly same tv. I've seen a 20 inch version on amazon for under 100 bucks but I got mine for 25 off craigs list so there you go. I decided to make this post because I've been looking online around different forums and I don't see anyone ever mention these older EDTV's as an option for retro games. It's surprising consider how amazingly well this damn thing works.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 11:24 AM by ginistrepupu »
All I wanna do is shred.

Offline goombakid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: 15" Sharp LCD EDTV
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 10:45 AM »
I'm using a 20" Panasonic Viera LCD EDTV. Does 240p perfect with my CMVS. Found it at a Goodwill for $25. I've been mainly using this at my work table simply to check my mods. For main retro gaming, I have a 32" Sony WEGA CRT that is perfect (love having s-video inputs on the front).

Offline Gumball

• Gumball Bunny
  • Heavy Metal Rabbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 12:14 PM »
I'm using a 20" Panasonic Viera LCD EDTV. Does 240p perfect with my CMVS. Found it at a Goodwill for $25. I've been mainly using this at my work table simply to check my mods. For main retro gaming, I have a 32" Sony WEGA CRT that is perfect (love having s-video inputs on the front).
Id love to get a new wega but I don't have the room for it so this little tv I found is ideal. Could I get the model number for your panasonic id love to check it out.
All I wanna do is shred.

Offline goombakid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 06:10 PM »

Offline Hanafuda

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 01:32 AM »
Looks like a wise solution to the problem, if the screen size is suitable. I guess if I were inclined to play my old consoles at a desk it would be great, but I'm too old to get my head, or ass, into that idea. I spend enough time at the computer desk already. But I am going to have to deal with this issue. My old 36" JVC CRT-TV is on the fritz. Been looking at best methods of displaying retro consoles on modern HDTV's, and it all just sucks. Basically looks like you're wasting your time and money unless you go with the XRGB mini, which is over $300. Then you still need RGB SCART cables for the consoles that can output it, or else use the XRGB mini's S-video and AV inputs, which seems like an awful lot of overkill. Or, modify the console to output RGB, or for some consoles there are now direct HDMI-out mods. To be honest, I'm not too excited about  modding my old consoles even if it's done right.

Maybe you're on the right track with this. Or else maybe I get lucky and find an old trinitron in good shape.

Offline Gumball

• Gumball Bunny
  • Heavy Metal Rabbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2016, 05:37 AM »
Looks like a wise solution to the problem, if the screen size is suitable. I guess if I were inclined to play my old consoles at a desk it would be great, but I'm too old to get my head, or ass, into that idea. I spend enough time at the computer desk already. But I am going to have to deal with this issue. My old 36" JVC CRT-TV is on the fritz. Been looking at best methods of displaying retro consoles on modern HDTV's, and it all just sucks. Basically looks like you're wasting your time and money unless you go with the XRGB mini, which is over $300. Then you still need RGB SCART cables for the consoles that can output it, or else use the XRGB mini's S-video and AV inputs, which seems like an awful lot of overkill. Or, modify the console to output RGB, or for some consoles there are now direct HDMI-out mods. To be honest, I'm not too excited about  modding my old consoles even if it's done right. Maybe you're on the right track with this. Or else maybe I get lucky and find an old trinitron in good shape.
Honestly if you don't mind the size and they have 20 inch versions of the same model I would just get one of sharps if you can find one on craigslist or something. Online like ebay they can go for 80 to 100 dollars which isnt too terrible but again you can totally get one for around 20 to 25 bucks if anyone has one around you. Anyway as for the XRGB Mini I have heard great things about it and it does the job well how ever there is input delay regardless of what tv you use it with. The unit its self ads at least 1 frame of lag so it all depends. I love this tv to death. The pictures I took do not do it justice at all. It makes it look much worse than it is I promise you that. In person with your own eyes it looks great. Everything is really clear even with S Video. Component looks fantastic. Oh one last thing. Look into maybe getting a scart to componenet converter. That way you can get RGB qaulity through component inputs like on the sharp.
All I wanna do is shred.

Offline wilykat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2016, 05:03 AM »
I've been using an older 32" LCD TV by VIZIO, about 5 years old and only does 720 but it has composite, S-Video, component, RGB (VGA, not sure about 15KHz) and HDMI. So far it did all of the game consoles just good although it seems to fail on composite modded 2600, it shows only every other lines like it can't do 240p on composite. It looked ok on RF though.

Unlike some other cheap TV, this one handles composite and S-Video separately, no need to plug and unplug to get one mode working.  I hear some newer TV puts composite right on component connector, requiring you to switch plugs as well.  This one also remembers my preferred setting, 4:3 and 16:9 and auto switches when I switch inputs.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 05:04 AM by wilykat »

Offline Gumball

• Gumball Bunny
  • Heavy Metal Rabbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2016, 05:28 AM »
I've been using an older 32" LCD TV by VIZIO, about 5 years old and only does 720 but it has composite, S-Video, component, RGB (VGA, not sure about 15KHz) and HDMI. So far it did all of the game consoles just good although it seems to fail on composite modded 2600, it shows only every other lines like it can't do 240p on composite. It looked ok on RF though.

Unlike some other cheap TV, this one handles composite and S-Video separately, no need to plug and unplug to get one mode working.  I hear some newer TV puts composite right on component connector, requiring you to switch plugs as well.  This one also remembers my preferred setting, 4:3 and 16:9 and auto switches when I switch inputs.
How is the input delay do you know? Because everything else sound great.
All I wanna do is shred.

Offline goombakid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2016, 07:39 AM »
Most older Vizios do not do 15kHz through the VGA connector...at least, the 3 I've had didn't do it.

I have a 37" that I was using up until I got a PS4 (had to get a new one since the PS4 was overscanning through HDMI). Composite on it was pretty good, even with my Atari 7800 (A/V modded). It hated some of the S-video mods on my Master System and Genesis (crazy color changing on some games, through the Everdrive-MD and regular carts).

I thought I lucked out and found another EDTV LCD at a thrift store today. But after plugging it in to test, the LCD was cracked really bad.

Offline wilykat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2016, 10:30 PM »
How is the input delay do you know? Because everything else sound great.

I had not noticed any lag, maybe a few frames at worst?  I have not played any game on HDMI or component, only on composite and S-Video.

Offline rafaelalvesals

• Hue Hue BR BR
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2016, 01:18 PM »
i got a new monitor/tv, its a LG 26LC2R, until now, the only console that i have a crap image was my PS1 on the av cord, i ordered a svideo cable and i hope that will work, if dont, i will have to discover whats going on with the console. The funny thing that i never know about, was on my snes, i tested first with starfox, and i didn't get the full screen resolution but with the DKC2 get it and i never know about this because i always played on crt before and on that always get full screen haha

Offline Gumball

• Gumball Bunny
  • Heavy Metal Rabbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2016, 06:57 PM »
i got a new monitor/tv, its a LG 26LC2R, until now, the only console that i have a crap image was my PS1 on the av cord, i ordered a svideo cable and i hope that will work, if dont, i will have to discover whats going on with the console. The funny thing that i never know about, was on my snes, i tested first with starfox, and i didn't get the full screen resolution but with the DKC2 get it and i never know about this because i always played on crt before and on that always get full screen haha
CRT's almost always have some form of overscan. Alot of old systems took advantage of that. Playing on an LCD of any kind will result in a smaller image. Also S video is a big step up from composite which is the standard yellow cable. Composite is just trash. If you can avoid it do so. RGB how ever is even better than S video but if you live in the US that won't be an option without some kind of transcoder or upscaling device because US tv's just don't have the scart input for it.
All I wanna do is shred.

Offline rafaelalvesals

• Hue Hue BR BR
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2016, 07:01 PM »
i know about the rgb mods and scart, but even worst that live in US to get this, i live on Brazil haha, the issues about the video cord is that i fear that the cable doesnt solve my problem =/ when it comes i will discover haha

Offline Gumball

• Gumball Bunny
  • Heavy Metal Rabbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2016, 07:52 PM »
i know about the rgb mods and scart, but even worst that live in US to get this, i live on Brazil haha, the issues about the video cord is that i fear that the cable doesnt solve my problem =/ when it comes i will discover haha
What exactly is the issue? The games not filling the screen?
All I wanna do is shred.

Offline rafaelalvesals

• Hue Hue BR BR
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2016, 09:39 PM »
What exactly is the issue? The games not filling the screen?

This, its only happen with the ps1, ps2 with same cable works fine.

PS1

Load in 16:9

Titlescreen 16:9

titlescreen 4:3

PS2
16:9

4:3

everything seems to be green on ps1, but in the CRT works fine