Author Topic: N8 testing with Analogue NT  (Read 60330 times)

Offline goombakid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: N8 testing with Analogue NT
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2016, 06:17 AM »
I'm curious. What's the specs on the adapters that come with the NT?

Offline sneakernets

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2016, 06:44 PM »
I'm curious. What's the specs on the adapters that come with the NT?

12V 2.0A is what mine says. No mention of polarity.

Offline mario64

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2016, 12:52 AM »
Folks, please don't waste your time and money on the power adapter. I already tried it. Made no difference whatsoever. The lockups still happened

Offline ginoscope

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2016, 04:01 AM »
Are these issues just with NT that have the HDMI mod?

I ask because I just installed the high def nes board on my front loader and I am getting similar behavior on my famicom n8.  Ninja Gaiden III has some screen shakes and freezes to a black screen half way through the level.  When I use the actual Ninja Gaiden III cart it works just fine.  I also got the same behavior on title screen of Bucky o Hare.

using v13 firmware and v2.25 for the high def nes board.
1080p

Offline goombakid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2016, 04:40 AM »
Folks, please don't waste your time and money on the power adapter. I already tried it. Made no difference whatsoever. The lockups still happened

Ahh, I was combing through the other thread and didn't see a result from your testing.

Offline hunterk

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2016, 04:06 PM »

I ask because I just installed the high def nes board on my front loader and I am getting similar behavior on my famicom n8.  Ninja Gaiden III has some screen shakes and freezes to a black screen half way through the level.  When I use the actual Ninja Gaiden III cart it works just fine.  I also got the same behavior on title screen of Bucky o Hare.

1080p
The Nt issue is not necessarily tied to the HiDefNES board because I have the RGB output board and suffer from the same symptoms. I think part of why this issue is so hard to debug is because there are a few independent variables that are all causing similar symptoms.

Offline ginoscope

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2016, 04:08 PM »

1080p
The Nt issue is not necessarily tied to the HiDefNES board because I have the RGB output board and suffer from the same symptoms. I think part of why this issue is so hard to debug is because there are a few independent variables that are all causing similar symptoms.

Thanks for the response and for the clarification on the issue I do hope they resolve this issue for you guys who spent so much on the NT.

Offline sneakernets

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2016, 11:17 PM »
I've discovered something, and discussed it in the other Nt thread.

The NTF2 Test Cartridge ROM loaded on the N8 should not fail on the Nt. However, it's failing, at least for me. Everyone that has an N8 and Nt needs to run that and see how far into the test they can get.

I'm thinking about getting a repro of it soon so I can see if it's the Nt itself.

Offline xportz

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2016, 04:15 AM »
I have both the NES and Famicom versions of the Everdrive N8 from Stone Age Gamer. Testing on my 2nd gen. Analogue NT, the Famicom Everdrive causes freezes, resets and graphical issues as others users are reporting.  The NES Everdrive has none of these issues.  It works absolutely flawlessly.  With both Everdrives I used the exact same micro SD card with no changes whatsoever.  The only difference was that the NES Everdrive requires the micro SD to SD adapter. 

SO... It seems to me that this is either an issue with the Famicom Everdrive specifically, or the Famicom port on the Analogue NT.

1. 2nd
2. HDMI
3. 2.25 and v13
4. 720p, Scanlines
5. Everdrive N8 Famicom
6. SMB3 resetting, various other problems, only present when using the Famicom version of the Everdrive.  The NES version works perfectly!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 06:18 PM by xportz »

Offline MadFinnTech

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2016, 05:57 PM »
1. Second Run Analogue NT
2. HDMI
3. Hi-Def Firmware 2.00 / Everdrive firmware v13
4. 1080p, any despecle, any scanlines
5. Everdrive N8 Famicom shell
6. Freezes, resets, and/or presents graphical glitches anytime of play, sometimes immediately sometimes after few minutes.
7. Using an 8GB SanDisk Ultra microSDHC UHS-I Card

Offline Missingno255

• hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2016, 09:45 PM »
Well, I guess the N8 won't be working on this console anymore.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/08/the-500-nes-remake-gets-a-bit-smaller-and-more-affordable/

You can kiss real hardware goodbye. They're removing it and replacing it with inaccurate FPGA emulation.
Owned Everdrives: Everdrive MD, Mega Everdrive, Everdrive N8, Everdrive GB X5, Turbo Everdrive, Super Everdrive, Everdrive GBA

Misc Flashcarts: SD2SNES

Offline hunterk

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2016, 10:36 PM »
inaccurate FPGA emulation.
I don't think this is necessarily true. Kevtris has proven capability in this area. However, I don't like that the press (note: not official PR docs, third party press) I've seen fails to mention that it's not using original hardware. I think this is misleading insofar as that was a major marketing point for the original Nt, for which the Mini is being presented as a continuation.

It should be good competition for bunnyboy's AVS, though at >2x the price, it's going to be a hard sell, I think.

The high-end NES clone market is suddenly on fire. Whoda thunk??

Offline prg318

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2016, 08:34 PM »
1. Second Run Analogue NT
2. HDMI
3. 2.25 // v13
4. 1080p; despeckle
5. Everdrive NES Cartridge - Adventures of Link, Super Mario Brothers, Everdrive Menu
6. Crashing; corruption of sprites; occasionally dysfunctional everdrive menu

Offline prg318

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2016, 08:36 PM »
I've discovered something, and discussed it in the other Nt thread.

The NTF2 Test Cartridge ROM loaded on the N8 should not fail on the Nt. However, it's failing, at least for me. Everyone that has an N8 and Nt needs to run that and see how far into the test they can get.

I'm thinking about getting a repro of it soon so I can see if it's the Nt itself.

I will try this and report back;  thanks!

Offline cacophony

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2016, 09:47 AM »
Well, I guess the N8 won't be working on this console anymore.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/08/the-500-nes-remake-gets-a-bit-smaller-and-more-affordable/

You can kiss real hardware goodbye. They're removing it and replacing it with inaccurate FPGA emulation.

Huh? The Nt mini is supposedly going to be optimized to support the N8:
"The Analogue Nt mini is compatible with both versions of the EverDrive, the NES N8 and the Famicom N8 and it is compatible with the PowerPak. We are able to offer optimized flash cart support with the Nt mini due to having complete control over the hardware (FPGA). Rest assured, your EverDrive (either version) will be compatible. "
(this is from https://support.analogue.co/hc/en-us/articles/224996908-Analogue-Nt-mini-vs-Analogue-Nt)

And inaccurate FPGA emulation? You do realize that the N8 uses an FPGA as well right? If done properly an FPGA is exactly identical to the original hardware, and if anyone can do it it's kevtris.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 09:53 AM by cacophony »