Author Topic: N8 testing with Analogue NT  (Read 71483 times)

Offline hunterk

• View Profile
Re: N8 testing with Analogue NT
« Reply #60 on: September 26, 2016, 04:36 PM »
I've had a lot of issues with Bubble Bobble, which is MMC1, though it takes a lot longer than the usual suspects (SMB2USA, Ninja Gaiden 3 and River City Ransom are the big ones for me). Conversely, I've never had any issues with Batman, which is also MMC3.

You can find a list of which mapper is used by each game here:
http://tuxnes.sourceforge.net/nesmapper.txt

Offline Jincman

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 29, 2016, 01:49 AM »
I beat up on Bubble Bobble today. I played out to around level 40. Solid as a rock.
I'm wondering are you playing the US ROM or the FDS version?

Offline hunterk

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 29, 2016, 04:08 PM »
US ROM. I've never had any issues with FDS games on my N8, though I haven't played many on there, since I have an FDSStick, as well.

Offline Adamcarter

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2016, 05:56 PM »
Last question, i think.

if I own a powerpak or everdrive in the nes cartridge, and i load a famicom game, through the nes slot on my analogu nt. Will i still be able to use the mic for games like the japanese zelda and kid icarus?

Powerpak doesnt make a famicom slot version only nes. And since everdrive seems spotty at best for our consoles.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

On a side note, i was wondering if the famciom classic mini that was coming out would have mic functionality, turns out even though they hardwired the controllers in, the second controler has a sticker that says mic. It really is just for show. Too bad.

What percentage of analogues are having issues with everdrive carts.
Unknown
Is it only certain versions/models of the everdrive cart?
It doesn't seem so, no.
Is it only the famicom version, or the american nes version as well.
No. Some people report better luck with the NES version, some people report otherwise.
Did version 13 of everdrive firmware fix it 100%
No, that was an unrelated problem specifically between Everdrive N8s and the HiDefNES mod (i.e., unrelated to Nts, specifically; this affected modded toasters, top-loaders, etc.). The crashing/glitching/instability is a separate issue between Nts (HiDef-modded *and* RGB) that has nothing to do with the v13 fixes.
Is a v14 being worked on?
Probably at some point, but not to fix Nt issues, since no one knows what is actually causing them.
Now that the new mini is coming out, is Analogue and the everdrive creator no longer working on fixes. does this basically mean i have. 600 dollar brick in my living room?
No one knows what's causing the problem nor how many units it affects on either end of the issue, so no one can fix what they don't understand. Your Nt is not a brick, as it still plays actual carts flawlessly and also has no issues with RetroUSB's PowerPak. The N8/Nt thing is a dodgy, spooky incompatibility between two very complex pieces of boutique electronics that are produced in small numbers.

Offline hunterk

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 04, 2016, 09:33 PM »
I don't see why not. I don't think the cartridge slot connects directly to the microphone in any way.

As for the Famicom Mini, I doubt they'll have any sort of microphone function but I haven't seen anything confirming it either way.

Offline Adamcarter

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 04, 2016, 09:57 PM »
Thank you very much for your quick reply.

Thats what i was hoping, i asked analogue the same question. There response was plug it in and try it out. I haven't bought the powerpak or the everydrive yet. So i dont have that option.

I don't see why not. I don't think the cartridge slot connects directly to the microphone in any way.

As for the Famicom Mini, I doubt they'll have any sort of microphone function but I haven't seen anything confirming it either way.

Offline flamepanther

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 31, 2016, 03:52 PM »
I don't think Analogue and Krikzz working together went very well. I asked about swapping my brand new N8 Famicom version for an NES version, since some of you have had better luck with that one. Here's what I got back:

Hi Daniel!

Analog Nt has problems with both Famicom and NES. There is no difference between them except the shape.
Please exchange your Analog Nt with the standard NES or Famicom console. They were made 20-30 years ago but still work much better than that newly made "console".
(If you need an HDMI video output very much you can find modded NES or Famicom).

Best regards

Offline hunterk

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 31, 2016, 03:56 PM »
Lol, oh well. Guess we're on our own.

Offline flamepanther

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 31, 2016, 04:27 PM »
Lol, oh well. Guess we're on our own.
Looks like. I have a Powerpak already, so I'm not hurting for a decent flash cart and I'm not going to ditch my Nt. I just wanted the active support and more accurate mapper emulation. I do have a front-loading NES, so I'm still going to try the Famicom N8 for an NES one so I can use it with that. If it somehow helps on the Nt too, then so much the better.

Supposing this is even just one issue and not multiple issues with similar symptoms (big assumption) I agree with those saying it might be power related. I tried bypassing my normal surge protector, and my time in Super Mario 2 USA more than doubled. I can get to the end of 1-1 now (the long way) instead of consistently crashing shortly after the first door. I'm in an apartment complex, so there's no telling what kind of noise might be coming in over the mains.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, bypassing the surge protector also involved disconnecting an HPNA network adaptor, which works by broadcasting through the AC. When I get home from work, I'll have to try removing all the others.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 07:15 PM by flamepanther »

Offline flamepanther

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 01, 2016, 12:57 AM »
EDIT: Now that I think about it, bypassing the surge protector also involved disconnecting an HPNA network adaptor, which works by broadcasting through the AC. When I get home from work, I'll have to try removing all the others.
No improvement :P

Offline sneakernets

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 04, 2016, 03:21 AM »
I don't think Analogue and Krikzz working together went very well. I asked about swapping my brand new N8 Famicom version for an NES version, since some of you have had better luck with that one. Here's what I got back:

Hi Daniel!

Analog Nt has problems with both Famicom and NES. There is no difference between them except the shape.
Please exchange your Analog Nt with the standard NES or Famicom console. They were made 20-30 years ago but still work much better than that newly made "console".
(If you need an HDMI video output very much you can find modded NES or Famicom).

Best regards

Yeah I figured. It would be so nice if the Analogue team that may have snooped these forums -- please tell us: What the heck is wrong with the Analogue NT? is there no way to monitor what's going on? Because all the folk remedies aren't working.

This Famicom everdrive works in my pristine first holiday season NES, and an NES of my grandmothers that was in a freezing garage for a decade, which took a while to clean up - it works without crashing in the worst condition of consoles. Yet it freezes in this brand new Analogue NT? I'm calling BS on this - there has to be something fundamentally different about the NT that isn't true with the NES or the Famicom, that doesn't affect hardened ROMs, but does affect more delicate chips used in the N8. You'd think the old toasters, with their aging caps, would make the N8 crash instantly, but, nope! it keeps on going.

I wanted to err on the side of caution and blame the N8 manufacturing process, but given that I've seen it play for hours on a barely functioning NES, I can't blame the N8 anymore.

I just can't. So now I use an AV Famicom and even though there's no HDMI mod in it, at least I can play King of Kings without worrying about the game freezing 5 minutes into the fight.

Offline GadgetUK

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 04, 2016, 11:41 PM »
I can't believe no one has tried grounded copper tape over the NT cart traces yet - Thats where my bet is, since the behaviour is almost identical to the impedance problems when using N8 famicom with 72 pin to 60 pin adapter.

Offline flamepanther

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 06, 2016, 07:48 AM »
I can't believe no one has tried grounded copper tape over the NT cart traces yet - Thats where my bet is, since the behaviour is almost identical to the impedance problems when using N8 famicom with 72 pin to 60 pin adapter.
Ideally, Analogue ought to try it. The Nt is pretty expensive, and your warranty is void if you open it up. I doubt the tape itself is too risky, but if it ever needs service for any other reason after that...

Offline sneakernets

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 08, 2016, 12:54 AM »
Ideally, Analogue ought to try it. The Nt is pretty expensive, and your warranty is void if you open it up. I doubt the tape itself is too risky, but if it ever needs service for any other reason after that...

Indeed - they have a "warranty seal" right on that plastic. If you have an RGB NT 2nd run and you want to change the color pal, well, tough cookies. In the prototype-first runs, there was a small plastic hole to reach the switch. not so with the 2nd runs! This wasn't documented anywhere on their site, nor in any packaged documentation.

Offline GadgetUK

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 10, 2016, 12:36 PM »
Is the warranty still even valid?  How long have these things been out now?