Author Topic: Legend of Zelda OoT/MQ & MM - Gamecube to N64 patches (with fixes/decensorship)  (Read 118547 times)

Offline Spencer.Ryan.C

• View Profile
Re: Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time Master Quest patch for real n64
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2016, 05:59 PM »
That worked! Thank you so much! I already had the GameCube Z64 ROM, but it only worked after I byte-swapped it.

Offline Spencer.Ryan.C

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2016, 06:29 PM »
Upon first playing this on my N64, I noticed that Link infinitely slashes with the same swing type instead of doing a 3-swing combo like in the original OoT. Also, Link cannot (hold down B) charge the Kokiri Sword for a charge attack. I don't know if this last one applies to the other swords or when Link has magic. Any chance these could be fixed in the future?

Offline pcfreak324

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2016, 08:54 PM »
I can confirm that the magic spin attack is not working, both with young and adult Link.

Offline Aroenai

• Sentient Hunk of Green Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2016, 01:19 AM »
When I was testing it was working fine, but try this in the meantime. It will revert the change that increased the amount of time you have to continue a combo (breaking 3x spin attack combos again).

Edit: corrected patch posted http://www.mediafire.com/download/rl9dldrkzv481r4/OoTMQgc-n64.zip
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 04:19 AM by Aroenai »
---
Mostly working on Zelda OoT & MM GC patches
Also, breaking region protections
Everdrive 64 v2.01 modified with an UltraCIC II, 64drive HW2

Offline Spencer.Ryan.C

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2016, 01:32 AM »
This fixed both of the sword problems. Thank you.

Zelda93

« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2016, 02:35 AM »
I'd prefer it as a patch to display the game as an N64 game without modding of any game mechanics such as the 3x sword attack anyway really... It would be good to have a complete basic N64 patched version and another version with optional extras such as the text speed and spin attack etc.

Offline Spencer.Ryan.C

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2016, 02:39 AM »
I'd prefer it as a patch to display the game as an N64 game without modding of any game mechanics such as the 3x sword attack anyway really... It would be good to have a complete basic N64 patched version and another version with optional extras such as the text speed and spin attack etc.
I completely agree with this. I believe it would be best to make this as close as possible to what would have been Master Quest for N64. I also appreciate the changes you've made to bring back the old OoT V1.0/1.1 symbols (and hopefully, eventually, the fire temple music and Ganon's blood).
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 02:45 AM by Spencer.Ryan.C »

Offline Aroenai

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2016, 04:25 AM »
Corrected patch has been posted, I missed it because the incorrect patch didn't affect the giant's knife/biggoron's sword.

To clarify, this is a bugfix to address a glitch present in the code that makes the third spin attack combo impossible. Since the 2x text speed and third spin attack combo are present in Majora's Mask as well, they will remain in this patch for consistency between the games. Any other bugfixes will also remain in the patch.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 04:31 AM by Aroenai »
---

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2016, 04:52 AM »
Spencer.Ryan.C and Zelda93, I'm still working on my original patch that just adjusts the colors and the text to match the N64, fixes the ending and that's it.  I'll release it when Aroenai releases his final version.  It will NOT fix the shield symbol, blood, etc. or revert anything back to 1.0.  I figure it would be best to release at the same time and let people choose whichever they want.  Honestly, I'm excited to play his version, but my first run through of MQ I think I would have preferred just the color changes.
Projects: Zelda OoT GCtoN64, Doshin the Giant, SSSV, Sim City 64, Getter Love, Shiren
Flash Carts: EverDrive64 2.5, EverDrive64 3.0, EverDrive N8, SD2SNES

Offline Spencer.Ryan.C

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2016, 10:05 AM »
Corrected patch has been posted, I missed it because the incorrect patch didn't affect the giant's knife/biggoron's sword.

To clarify, this is a bugfix to address a glitch present in the code that makes the third spin attack combo impossible. Since the 2x text speed and third spin attack combo are present in Majora's Mask as well, they will remain in this patch for consistency between the games. Any other bugfixes will also remain in the patch.
Wouldn't it be better to be consistent with Ocarina of Time V1.1 instead of MM? MM has some good features such as the 2x text speed, but I believe it is best to stay true to OoT.

EDIT: I found a small bug. After completing the Deku Tree, when leaving that area, you have to talk to Fido. At the end of Fido's conversation (when he walks back to the side), there is a blank dialog (no shown dialog, but you have to press A/B to continue). I figure I'll mention any bugs or oddities I find along my play-through.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 10:24 AM by Spencer.Ryan.C »

Offline Aroenai

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2016, 10:28 AM »
It is staying true to OoT, the Japanese OoT.

The reason for MM having the 2x text speed (2 characters per frame), was to have a consistent text flow speed between the Japanese and English scripts which was lacking in OoT.

Also, the normal OoT GC patch has been posted. I'm considering porting the RAM expansion mod from the debug rom, this would allow me to set the high polygon count models to be used all the time instead of only at close distance but would require the 8MB expansion pack.
---

Offline Spencer.Ryan.C

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2016, 11:03 AM »
It is staying true to OoT, the Japanese OoT.

The reason for MM having the 2x text speed (2 characters per frame), was to have a consistent text flow speed between the Japanese and English scripts which was lacking in OoT.

Also, the normal OoT GC patch has been posted. I'm considering porting the RAM expansion mod from the debug rom, this would allow me to set the high polygon count models to be used all the time instead of only at close distance but would require the 8MB expansion pack.
Regarding the 2x text speed, you could almost qualify that as a bug fix, so that sounds just fine to me. As for the sword, is the 3x charge like in the original OoT (1st without magic, second with magic, third with stronger magic (blue)) or is it 3 levels of magic (I haven't reached far enough to test this yet)? I apologize if that is worded weird. It would be great if you could port the RAM expansion mod. By now, if someone isn't using an expansion pak (and is using an ED64 with patched ROMs), they should really get with it and buy one.

Offline Aroenai

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2016, 05:50 PM »
It works just like in MM, Link will do a longer quick spin attack animation on the third consecutive spin. The quick spin attack is when you rotate the control stick clockwise and press B.
---

Offline Spencer.Ryan.C

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2016, 08:56 PM »
If this was not a feature in OoT, I would prefer it wasn't in the MQ version either. Just my honest opinion.

EDIT: I just encountered the first Crystal Switch and the base has the old symbols. I believe you can cross that off your to-do list.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 10:04 PM by Spencer.Ryan.C »

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2016, 10:44 PM »
OK, I found a cleaner way to fix the Shopkeeper cursor.  Undo what I did before, and instead change:

1E6C48 31CF00FF (to 306F00FF)
1E6C58 006A5823 (to 01AA5823)

Basically, 1.0-1.2 takes 0050FFFF and rotates the green 50 from 00 to 50.  MQ takes 00FF50FF and rotates the green FF from AF to FF.  My old fix just swapped the 50 and the FF.  This fix defines the green as 50 before it rotates it from 00 to 50, and defines the blue as FF before it stores it.

EDIT: Added that I tested that it rotates from 00 to 50 now.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 10:57 PM by ozidual »
Projects: Zelda OoT GCtoN64, Doshin the Giant, SSSV, Sim City 64, Getter Love, Shiren
Flash Carts: EverDrive64 2.5, EverDrive64 3.0, EverDrive N8, SD2SNES