Author Topic: Legend of Zelda OoT/MQ & MM - Gamecube to N64 patches (with fixes/decensorship)  (Read 79453 times)

Offline johnson

• View Profile
Hi Aroenai !

currently exists a fan translation in spanish of Zelda Master Quest, this translation works in the real hardware with everdrive 64

do you think that your patches work with this rom? or o que sea posible hacer un parche para ver el final con los creditos  :) ?

link rom:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/dm6hqyjrlpjcq3j/Zelda+Master+Quest+Espa%C3%B1ol.rar

Offline CR_Shadow

• View Profile
Hey guys! New to this particular forum and loving the content of these patches! Just one thing I would like to add... even though this is a dead topic I guess. Anyway:

Seeing the addition of the nose ring for the cows it occurred to me: Would it be possible to apply the torso strap onto young and adult Link in OoT? I ask because he has it in MM so it seems like it would be doable. IMO though it would make the most sense for the strap to only appear once he equips the Kokiri Sword for the first time. OoT 3D handled that strangely with him just kind of already wearing it. Less important but something I might as well ask... Would it be possible to increase the speed of the OoT pause menu to closely reflect the speed of the MM menu? Sorry if i'm asking a lot here. I have no knowledge of editing games but hope I can offer some valid ideas to the table.

Also two issues i've been having if anyone can help... In OoT the sound in the cutscenes is off. In the scene where *spoilers I guess?* the castle is capsizing, there are three blasts that shoot outward when each section of the tower hits the ground, but the sound effects for them are WAY late. The credits are much worse though. It's as though PJ64 is running the physical scenes too fast for the music/sound effects to follow along with it. It's most noticeable in the bonfire scene and Sages standing on Death Mountain. Is this just an emulator issue or...?

My other problem actually involves MM's text speed. It's strange but it actually crawls at the rate of OoT unpatched and it's not pretty... lol I never noticed it before and checked a couple different walkthrough videos to confirm i'm not crazy thinking the text did move very quickly...

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
Not at all a dead topic, just slowed down.  Aroenai and I regularly work on little pieces here and there.  The major work has all been done, so lately it's been little bugs here and there as they're found.

I can't speak to the torso strap textures, that would be Aroenai.

You are correct that the sound in the cutscenes is off on PJ64.  Here's the fun thing about OoT - the timing for the cutscenes is different for every cart/disc release.  It's also different between PAL and NTSC, and different when either region is played on PJ64 and again different on NEMU.  There might even be variances between some console versions.  It's very frustrating.  Last I checked, the NTSC patches are within the acceptable range on real hardware.  I did have to tweak each of the 3 PAL releases (MQ, GC, Debug) to get the timing for the ending acceptable on hardware.  It took a crazy number of hours to do that.  They are still off on PJ64 and NEMU, and that's just how it has to be - sorry.  Changing it would mess with hardware timing, and that's what we are most focused on.

You can rip the ending in video format from the GameCube discs.  I think it's probably out on the web somewhere too.  I know that isn't ideal, but if you don't have access to view it on hardware, that's the next best thing.  Oh, and you can port your save file over to any of the other releases to view the ending.

As for the text speed for MM - Aroenai and I check in on this from time to time.  No solutions yet, but it is something that we are looking into.  Mostly while looking into the sound issue for MM NTSC-U 1.0 release.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 05:54 AM by ozidual »
Projects: Zelda OoT GCtoN64, Doshin the Giant, SSSV, Sim City 64
Flash Carts: EverDrive64 2.5, EverDrive64 3.0, EverDrive N8, SD2SNES

Offline twocows

• View Profile
Hey there!

I'm trying to load up the US Master Quest hack in PJ64 2.3.2.202 and it's not working. I've verified that the CRC of the original ROM being used matches what's in the first post and I only applied the normal (larger) patch and didn't touch the no-AA one. I've tried it using both Jabo's plugin and Glide64 and I set the settings in PJ64 to match what it uses for an unpatched Master Quest (recompiler settings are PI DMA is off, TLB unmapping is off; these are the only settings I had to change, everything else was already identical). Unpatched Master Quest works fine and immediately goes to the game title screen (no N64 boot screen), but the patched version goes to a "Nintendo 64" boot screen and then crashes directly afterward

For verification purposes, the CRC32 of the patched ROM I'm trying to use is B3D64BAB, which should match what you get if you patch the original ROM with the appropriate patch from the first post.

I was thinking about submitting this on the PJ64 issue tracker, but I figured I'd ask here first in case it's an issue with the hack or if there's something stupid I'm missing myself.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 09:47 PM by twocows »

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
You did everything right, but you need to add the Expansion Pak (i.e. set the RAM to 8MB instead of 4MB).  The normal MQ does not require the Expansion Pak, but these patches require it to improve the graphics a little.  I can't remember the exacts off the top of my head, but Aroenai has it all listed in the main post.

We have plans to add an error that lets you know you need the Expansion Pak, but we aren't quite there yet.

Offline twocows

• View Profile
You did everything right, but you need to add the Expansion Pak (i.e. set the RAM to 8MB instead of 4MB).  The normal MQ does not require the Expansion Pak, but these patches require it to improve the graphics a little.  I can't remember the exacts off the top of my head, but Aroenai has it all listed in the main post.

We have plans to add an error that lets you know you need the Expansion Pak, but we aren't quite there yet.
Ahhh, gotcha. That fixed it! Thank you so much!

Offline Aroenai

• Sentient Hunk of Green Cheese
    • View Profile
For clarification, the text slowdown is on the N64 USA patch for MM. The Gamecube roms are unaffected since the underlying bug way already fixed, the current patch for the USA N64 rom has our last attempt at fixing the broken text box code and hasn't been updated since then.

Re: Link's sash/belt - There is a patch to add that on OoT but I haven't looked into porting it, it's a model edit someone else had made.
---
Mostly working on Zelda OoT & MM GC patches
Also, breaking region protections
Everdrive 64 v2.01 modified with an UltraCIC II, 64drive HW2

Offline CR_Shadow

• View Profile
Hey thanks for the responses! It's funny about the torso strap actually. I recently played through Ocarina of Time for the 10,000th time and only just noticed he didn't have it. If you got bored enough to add it in one day that's cool but considering how long it took me to take note of it, it's a testiment to how negligible it is. Also thanks for the responses regarding the text speed in MM. I can't for the life of me find a clean GC.z64 rom of MM though. Guess I could look into how to go about ripping it off of my CE disc...

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
You can search using the names that Aroenai gave to the headings for each game in the main post.  If you want to rip the games from your GC disc yourself, I have instruction on that here: https://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=5281.0

Offline numanoid

• View Profile
In the most recent MM changes it says
fully functional changing instruments added (using the original JP icons, and a modified icon for the Deku Pipes)

Does this mean the icon for the Deku Pipes should show up in the Hud and Menu instead of the Ocarina (as well as the other instruments)?

Because it still shows the Ocarina for me with the newest patch in both the Hud and the Menu when I use the Deku Pipes (just started a new game).
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 07:07 PM by numanoid »

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
You may have to have the Deku Mask before it changes over.

Offline numanoid

• View Profile
You're right, it actually does switch to the Deku Pipes Icon when I use the Deku Mask.

Its just in the part where you initially obtain the Ocarina as a Deku while not having the Mask where it still shows the Ocarina instead of the Pipes, I guess I was a bit too impatient :-[

Offline Zathu

• View Profile
Hey there, I'm a bit confused by the difference between these two patches:

Here's a list of patches for The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask Gamecube roms that should revert all of the cosmetic changes, emulation related changes, bugs/glitches, and various censorship changes.
Legend of Zelda, The - Ocarina of Time (USA) (GameCube Edition).z64   

Bonus Patches:
Uncensored:

Legend of Zelda, The - Ocarina of Time (USA) (Rev B).z64
* This patch will revert censorship changes made in v1.2, ie. Fire Temple music, Ganondor's blood. Will also add 2x text, cow nose ring, and Stone of Agony changes

They both revert the censorship changes? Does Rev B leave in the GameCube-specific/emulation related changes such as the button colors and the ending credits video pointer? Or is Rev B just a uncensoring patch for a non-GameCube N64 1.2 ROM?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 09:43 PM by Zathu »

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
Rev. B is 1.2, which is the last version of OoT released on a cart (and before the GameCube releases).  It did not have many changes from 1.0, but there were a few such as the Fire Temple music and Ganon(dorf)'s blood.

Both patches attempt to do the same thing, but the code base is slightly different.  I think the 1.2/Rev. B might not have quite as many fixes since it wasn't Aroenai's main focus, but at the same time, it didn't need as many changes.  If it were between these two patches, I'd probably go with the GameCube edition patch.

You're right, it actually does switch to the Deku Pipes Icon when I use the Deku Mask.

Its just in the part where you initially obtain the Ocarina as a Deku while not having the Mask where it still shows the Ocarina instead of the Pipes, I guess I was a bit too impatient :-[

We felt it would make a little more sense to people if the pipes changed as they physically changed masks.  There's only that short time between getting the Ocarina and getting the Deku Mask that it doesn't quite match up.  I think they left out the changing icon originally because it could use some extra dialogue explaining what was happening to the Ocarina of Time.  For me, I think changing the instrument icon is a pretty cool idea and fits better with the theme of the game.

The rest of the game should be pretty solid.  We spent quite a lot of time getting that working since the Ocarina icon acts differently in different masks, physical locations, and between the pause menu and the C/A button :)  There are also checks within the game itself that verify changes in the game based off the Ocarina being in your inventory.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 10:52 PM by ozidual »

Offline ElCJLokoshom21

• View Profile
Hola Mi Amigo

Vengo a preguntarle si ya termino todo el parcheado para el juego de Zelda Collector's o el Master Quest en espaƱol? y si ya lo hizo me pasarias el link y si es posible una explicacion de como se instalan o si ya esta completo ya que soy novato en esto  ;D (?)

De antemano gracias y que tenga un buen Dia