Author Topic: Nes (72-pin) to Famicom (60-pin) converter mod  (Read 46300 times)

Offline kzd

• View Profile
Re: Nes (72-pin) to Famicom (60-pin) converter mod
« Reply #60 on: May 03, 2020, 10:56 AM »
Gave it another go, and I eventually got it working. You do need to cut the trace connecting pins 57 and 58 on the NES side of the adapter, otherwise MMC5 games will not work correctly. I verified this using L'Emperur (US). I haven't fully verified that expansion audio works, since I don't have a NES ED nor any NES carts wired to send expansion audio, but once I get something to test that with, I'll report back.

Lastly, some tips for soldering this up:
  • Use a ton of flux. That helped me a lot with the jumper/bodge wires to the edge connectors.
  • Use kapton or electrical tape to tape off the edge connectors, leaving only a small work area at the very top. You don't want to get solder all over the pins. This is bad, for a variety of reasons.
  • Run the jumper/bodge wires underneath the resistors. This will get you the shortest wire lengths to the edge connectors, and requires you to cut away less of the plastic shell to get the adapter closed back up.

Have fun, and thanks for all of the helpful information in this thread!

Offline kzd

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 03, 2020, 11:27 PM »
Quick report back - confirmed expansion audio works by testing one of my NES conversions through the adapter on an AV Famicom.

One thing I am noticing is crazy audio buzzing, and I think it's due to the adapter. When I plug my N8 in, and run the same game off of that,  there's no audio buzz. Anyone have any ideas on what might be the cause?

Online nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2020, 04:09 PM »
Noise introduced by the adapter. Is there any unecessarily long wires, excessive solder or anything else that could act like an antenna?

Offline Bassguy

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 11, 2020, 01:00 AM »
I'm having some of the same graphical issues as Kunos does anyone have any ideas? I have noticed the Retrofreak NES to FC adapter has some different values of capacitors and resistors on its board I may see if I can borrow some of the design elements from that board to mod this cheaper convertor.