Author Topic: Nes (72-pin) to Famicom (60-pin) converter mod  (Read 45053 times)

Offline Brachabre

• View Profile
Re: Nes (72-pin) to Famicom (60-pin) converter mod
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2018, 07:43 AM »
I just did this mod to my eBay 72-to-60-pin adapter with shell. My console is a jp AV famicom.

Had a lot of troubleshooting and re-soldering (I do own a Hakko FR-300 desoldering iron  ;D ) until eureka, but it was nice to finally hear the famicom expansion audio games sound just right to-my-ears after the mod.

I first experimented by installing two 56k ohm resistors. I got visuals but mute audio and silent black screens. I re-soldered the wires and 56k resistors twice.  I then tried two 15k ohm resistors in parallel. Desoldering irons that have vacuums are a bless'n.

The audio sounds balanced enough for my liking. The VRC7 audio balance is excellent. I use an Everdrive NES N8 and its most current VRC7 mapper. VRC6 sounds off-balance, but I think one of you guys posted a series of VRC6 mappers where you can swap out different VRC6 volume versions. Gimmick jp sounds well-balanced and great. Castlevania III NES looks and sounds great.  No flickering black lines or graphical glitches.

Offline W_W_P

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2018, 06:45 PM »
Hi, I tried to solder the 10Kohm resistors to the adapter but the sound still doesn't work. Did I do something wrong?

I attached a picture that shows my work and it ain't pretty but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Offline flex

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2018, 07:35 PM »
Hi Guys!

I have been monitoring this post with interest, I have an AV Famicom on the way from a mate who is currently on holiday in Japan so I am looking to purchase an adapter to use my Everdrive N8 NES Edition with.

I am based in the UK and I am looking to purchase this adapter and then do the mod (mainly for Castlevania 3 Audio!)...

This looks like the correct adapter as the shielded ones seem a tad expensive.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-NES-to-Famicom-Converter-Adapter-72-pin-to-60-pin-Good-Quality-/282311629148

Can you confirm this is the best adapter to get? Also is there anywhere you can purchase a pre modded adapter or anyone that could do the work for me? While I am fairly confident I could attempt the mod myself my soldering isn't the best and I don't have that much spare time.

Offline flex

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2018, 11:59 PM »
Update to my previous post...

After receiving my Famicom AV I ended up selling my Everdrive N8 NES version and purchased the N8 Famicom version in the end as thought that made more sense as no messing around to get expansion audio working!

I therefore no longer needed the Expansion Audio mod on the adapter however I just used this guide to do the MMC5 compatibility mod only on the 72 to 60pin adapter and this has worked perfectly with my US copy of Castlevania 3. So just wanted to say thanks very much for all the useful info!

One thing I don't think is made very clear though is that the Famicom pins are counted backwards on the rear of the adapter so pins 31 - 60 go from right to left where as the top row for the NES pins 37 - 72 go from left to right. I had to check and double check I had the correct pins a few times as this wasn't totally clear in any guide I came across fortunately it is kind of easy to tell you have the right pair of pins as you can see where the pins are joined together.

Offline Barawer

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2018, 07:24 PM »
Update to my previous post...

After receiving my Famicom AV I ended up selling my Everdrive N8 NES version and purchased the N8 Famicom version in the end as thought that made more sense as no messing around to get expansion audio working!

I therefore no longer needed the Expansion Audio mod on the adapter however I just used this guide to do the MMC5 compatibility mod only on the 72 to 60pin adapter and this has worked perfectly with my US copy of Castlevania 3. So just wanted to say thanks very much for all the useful info!

One thing I don't think is made very clear though is that the Famicom pins are counted backwards on the rear of the adapter so pins 31 - 60 go from right to left where as the top row for the NES pins 37 - 72 go from left to right. I had to check and double check I had the correct pins a few times as this wasn't totally clear in any guide I came across fortunately it is kind of easy to tell you have the right pair of pins as you can see where the pins are joined together.
I've done the same, switched to a famicom version just to get rid of the hassle.
I will try to see if i can make it a little clearer, thanks for the feedback.
Everdrives I own:
Mega Everdrive V2 (same as Mega everdrive X7), Everdrive N8 Famicom, Turbo Everdrive V2, EverDrive 64 V3, SD2SNES Rev J.
On my wishlist:
Everdrive GB X7, Everdrive GBA X5.

Offline yee

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2018, 10:43 AM »
Could someone reupload the pictures from the OP? Seems like they have broke.

Offline Barawer

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2018, 10:02 PM »
OK, i re-uploaded the images and added a note on the way pins are counted. Sorry it took a long time.
If there is anything else let me know, lets hope this time the images wont go down.
Everdrives I own:
Mega Everdrive V2 (same as Mega everdrive X7), Everdrive N8 Famicom, Turbo Everdrive V2, EverDrive 64 V3, SD2SNES Rev J.
On my wishlist:

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2018, 11:37 PM »
Hi, I tried to solder the 10Kohm resistors to the adapter but the sound still doesn't work. Did I do something wrong?

I attached a picture that shows my work and it ain't pretty but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I would advise against putting big solder joint like this on the connector, you are going to end up damaging your NES cart connector. What you should do instead is solder a bit of thin wire (kynar is the best for this) to your resistor and solder the other end of wire at the highest portion of the cart edge connector to minimize the pressure to the connector pins. Here is a picture from a different mod (CIC mod) I made showing what I am advising you to do. It's not a resistor but same principle apply.

Offline Eunos

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2018, 09:00 AM »
I'm wondering if the capacitor mod on the pin adapter is meant to address a major issue I'm having with crashes.

My setup:
NES EDN8
AV Famicom
72-to-60 pin adapter
Genesis Model 1 power supply.

This short video shows the issue.
https://youtu.be/4jN6I7CxHug

Offline Barawer

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2018, 11:45 PM »
I'm wondering if the capacitor mod on the pin adapter is meant to address a major issue I'm having with crashes.

My setup:
NES EDN8
AV Famicom
72-to-60 pin adapter
Genesis Model 1 power supply.

This short video shows the issue.
https://youtu.be/4jN6I7CxHug
Have you tried running the self test to make sure the cart itself is fine?
Everdrives I own:
On my wishlist:

Offline Eunos

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2018, 08:47 PM »
Just ran self-test.  All OK.
The N8 has worked perfectly fine in my unmodded NES-001 since 2016.

The video in my previous post showed immediate crashes when powering on, with errors 62-64 and error 10. This was without any mod to the pin adapter in the RGB AV Fami. I've since successfully corrected the MMC5 and expansion audio using your mods. Thank you so much for that. :)

The N8 issues persist. With only the severed M2 traces and a new line+100hm resistor, and a 20pF OR 75pF cap across 5v and ground, the result is this (4 second clip): https://gfycat.com/WhichAcrobaticAustraliankestrel
In this state, a crash will occur the moment I attempt to load a ROM. Picture of mod for reference to video: https://imgur.com/a/EMXywXj

I've tried a few times at GadgetUK's copper tape fix. My best effort allowed me to load and play ROMs for an indefinite amount of time, but with the "static" lines. That is exactly how well the NES N8 was working with stock pin adapter in the stock AV Fami.

Thank you for your time.  I'm going to try again later so I'll update if there's any news.

Offline barryconvexx

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 30, 2019, 11:40 PM »
I have an AV famicom and a Everdrive N8 Nes version. I am getting lockup on games after playing for 10 minutes or so.

Couple of questions

• Is there a chance that this is a different problem to the one addressed in this thread and I just need a new SD card? Im using an old SD card, and was going to get a new one, but my current one is working fine otherwise. Its just this locking up issue.
  • Is there a solution available that does not involve soldering? For example is there an adapter available now that solves this off the shelf?

Thank you

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 31, 2019, 12:14 AM »
I have an AV famicom and a Everdrive N8 Nes version. I am getting lockup on games after playing for 10 minutes or so.

Couple of questions

• Is there a chance that this is a different problem to the one addressed in this thread and I just need a new SD card? Im using an old SD card, and was going to get a new one, but my current one is working fine otherwise. Its just this locking up issue.
  • Is there a solution available that does not involve soldering? For example is there an adapter available now that solves this off the shelf?

Thank you

This is for sure not related to sd card, but another adapter has chance to solve the problem, because some of them has really bad design. Also make sure that it not a problem with contacts

Offline barryconvexx

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 31, 2019, 12:20 AM »
Ok great thank you.

Is there a recommended adapter that solves this problem?

For example would this one work? (its from the same place I bought the N8)
https://www.retrotowers.co.uk/nes-to-famicom-adapter

Offline kzd

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2020, 12:53 AM »
Attempting this mod and wanted to clarify some things, since it seems like there's a lot of varying opinions/drection floating around:
  • Is it necessary to cut the trace connecting pins 57 and 58 on the NES side of the adapter? They're obviously connected, and I'm not sure if this matters, as it's not mentioned in OP, nor on https://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/2014/10/famicom-av-issues-and-solutions.html, but a few people in this thread seem to indicate it must be cut.
  • Are the other various fixes applied by GagetUK needed if I am not using an Everdrive with the adapter? I have a Famicom Everdrive, and I only plan to use the modified adapter with original cartridges.

Lastly, any tips on soldering the jumper wires to the pins? I'm using 26AWG stranded wire, so it's not terribly huge, but I keep having issues with making clean joints, since I somehow always end up bridging the pins.  ::)

Thanks everyone!