Author Topic: Zelda Ocarina of Time & MQ Gamecube to N64 Patches (no bug fixes)  (Read 54685 times)

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time and Master Quest - Gamecube to N64 Patches
Created by Ozidual
With help from Aroenai
--> Check out Aroenai's Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask Patches by clicking his name above <--
---------------------------------------------------------------------
About Repros and my patches in general

1. I do NOT condone repros.  I do not want to see my name OR my code associated with anything repro.
2. If you use my patches on flash carts or emulators, please own the originals.  I include instructions for the GC discs below.
3. If you use my patches on flash carts or emulators, please purchase the 3DS version as well.  Support the Zelda franchise.
4. I support my patches, but I do not support repro carts that include my patches.

Which Patch Should I Play?

If you are new to the game:
   Aroenai's NTSC-U patches

If you remember Zelda Ocarina of Time 1.0/1.1 extremely well, and you don't like any changes at all:
  For Ocarina of Time, play the original NTSC 1.0 game (no patches)
  For Ocarina of Time: Master Quest, play Ozidual's NTSC-U GCto1.0 patches

If you remember Zelda Ocarina of Time, but it's just a vague memory:
  Aroenai's NTSC-U patches

The reason for recommending the NTSC-U patches is fewer changes were needed for the patches.  The PAL patches needed timing fixes, the languages added back to the options menu, etc.  The only reason to go with PAL is to play in a non-English/Japanese language or if you want the expanded character set (i.e. letters with accents).  I used to recommend PAL over NTSC so you could use your save game with the Debug ROM or other language patches, but you can now use my ZeldaOoTSaveConverter program to convert NTSC saves to PAL saves.  The rest of the patches exist to give people options - read up below and on Aroenai's page if you are curious about them.

Goal

Create two patches for the Gamecube versions of Zelda OoT:
   1. (GCtoN64) changes the HUD and text of the Gamecube releases so they make sense on the N64.  Basically an N64 cart version of the GC releases. [Completed]
   2. (GCto1.0) creates a version of Master Quest for people who prefer the Ocarina of Time NTSC 1.0, and also brings NTSC 1.0 to PAL. [Completed]

Neither of my patches has bug fixes except for a door fix for the Master Quest Water Temple.

How to Patch a ROM

You will need 3 things:

1. A ROM
   2. A tool to convert the ROM if necessary
   3. A tool to apply the patch to the ROM (Floating IPS)

1. The ROMs:

The MOST legal option is to extract these from your Master Quest Gamecube disc (instructions).  This also works for Ocarina of Time on the Zelda Collector's Disc for the Gamecube.  Otherwise there are time honored ways of finding things on the internet.  The typical names for these and my suggestion for renaming your extracted ROMs are:

Legend of Zelda, The - Ocarina of Time (USA) (GameCube Edition)
Legend of Zelda, The - Ocarina of Time (Europe) (GameCube Edition)
Zelda no Densetsu - Toki no Ocarina GC (Japan) (GameCube Edition)

Legend of Zelda, The - Ocarina of Time - Master Quest (USA) (GameCube Edition)
Legend of Zelda, The - Ocarina of Time - Master Quest (Europe) (GameCube Edition)
Legend of Zelda, The - Ocarina of Time - Master Quest (Debug) (GameCube Edition)
Zelda no Densetsu - Toki no Ocarina GC Ura (Japan) (GameCube Edition)

2. Convert the ROMs

a. Download this program and install it
   b. Open the program
   c. Choose File - Open
   d. Go to the folder with your Zelda Ocarina ROMs
   e. You will now have a list of ROMs with blue pictures on the left, you want the pictures to be an arrow pointing to the right
   f. Go down the list and for all blue arrows not pointing to the right, select the ROM, then click the arrow pointing to the right symbol at the top.
   g. In the folder with the ROMs they should now have a *.z64 extension

3. Apply the Patches

a. Download Floating IPS and run it to extract the program
   b. Download the patches below
   c. Open Floating IPS (flips.exe)
   d. Look for a small box that says Flips v1.31 and choose Apply Patch
   e. In the window that pops up, choose one of the patches below and click Open
   f. In the next window that pops up, choose the ROM that it will patch
   g. In the next window, give it a name (a suggested name is listed)
   h. If you get the error "This patch is not intended for this ROM", go back to step c., but this time make sure the patch matches the ROM (e.g. you cannot patch the Master Quest (E) patch to the Ocarina of Time (U) ROM).

Tools and Misc

Zelda Save Manipulation (oz creation): download
   - Drag save files onto the .exe and a new file is created.
   1. Save Converter that converts PAL saves to NTSC and vice versa (supports expanded font for Aroenai's patches)
   2. Checksum Fix that fixes the checksum for a save file (fixes some corruption and allows for manually entering save cheats (http://wiki.cloudmodding.com/oot/Save_Format).

Tool64: download
   - Allows ROM conversion between different Endians (.z64, .n64, etc.)

Instructions for ripping GC ROMs from your own disc (oz): download

Super Smash Bros. Melee OoT Time Trial Saves: download

Patches

Legend of Zelda, The - Ocarina of Time - Master Quest (USA) (GameCube Edition)
(GC2N64) download updated: 05.26.2017
(1.0) download updated: 05.26.2017

Legend of Zelda, The - Ocarina of Time (USA) (GameCube Edition)

Legend of Zelda, The - Ocarina of Time - Master Quest (Europe) (GameCube Edition) [60 Hz]
(GC2N64) download updated: 09.09.2019
(1.0) download updated: 09.09.2019

Legend of Zelda, The - Ocarina of Time (Europe) (GameCube Edition) [60 Hz]
(GC2N64) download updated: 09.09.2019
(1.0) download updated: 09.09.2019

Zelda no Densetsu - Toki no Ocarina GC Ura (Japan) (GameCube Edition)

Zelda no Densetsu - Toki no Ocarina GC (Japan) (GameCube Edition)

Legend of Zelda, The - Ocarina of Time - Master Quest (Debug) (GameCube Edition)

Debug Off Edition1

All patches, one download (Does not include Debug Off Edition, does Include Hack Patches)
(Both) download updated: 09.09.2019

1 Compressed Debug ROM edited to remove some Debug features only so it plays like the Ocarina of Time Master Quest (E).  Most Debug features remain.

Patch Descriptions

(GCtoN64)
   - Nintendo 64 Intro re-added (All except Debug)
   - Options Menu - Language Select (PAL GC, MQ, Debug, Debug Off)
   - Options Menu - L Targeting replaced with Z Targeting (NTSC and Zelda Hacks Only)
   - HUD and kaleidoscope colors and symbols to N64 colors and symbols
   - Text changes (mostly reverted to 1.2 with a few small fixes and 2 parts unchanged)
      - PAL languages all pulled from PAL 1.1 (would love some help with differences between 1.1 and Gamecube text)
      - French character set fixed
   - Game Saved Screen (All except Debug)
   - Water Temple Door fixed (Master Quest but not Zelda Hacks)
   - Ending Fix including the Scarecrow song restoration
   - Ending Timing Fix (PAL only including Zelda Hacks)

(GCto1.0)
   - Everything from (GCtoN64)
   - Text timing adjusted to NTSC-U 1.0 text timing (e.g. Arrows of Light text is skippable)
   - Ganon(dorf)'s blood colors to NTSC 1.0 colors
   - (All except some Zelda Hacks) NTSC 1.0 Fire Temple Music restored
   - NTSC 1.0 Gerudo Symbols restored and/or re-palettized

Aroenai's http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=5161.0
   - Everything from (GCto1.0)
   - 2x text speed for International text
   - Adds in the Expansion Pak usage for speed and quality improvements
   - Stone of Agony/Rumble Pak responds to all hidden chests
   - Map Select translated (Gameshark codes or Debug ROM required to see this)
   - Restore Cow Nose ring (Beta content brought back for 3DS)
   - Expanded PAL Name screen
   - Some text textures ported from MM

Zelda Hacks Patches

These are some Zelda hacks that work on the ED64.  They have been patched with everything from the Patches Descriptions, except the Water Temple Door fix and PAL Language Select.  The Fire Temple music is already reverted to 1.0 in Petrie's newest release.  Ruinous Shards has it's own Fire Temple music.  I am not updating Voyager of Time's Fire Temple music because it may not run on ED64.  I also suppressed the button presses from appearing in the bottom right corner. 

Note: Petrie's Challenge patch is for the newest patch only available through petrie911's youtube channel.  There is a link below the "Petrie's Challenge comes to the Virtual Console" video.  It will not work for all other Petrie's Challenge patches out there (commonly called v1.3).

Apply these patches to the hacked ROMs (e.g. apply my Voyager of Time patches to the Voyager of Time ROM).

If you created these hacks and want my patches removed just let me know and I will remove them.  I am attempting to contact creators of the original hacks to seek their approval to patch them.

Voyager of Time
(N64) download updated: 05.26.2017

Ruinous Shards2
(N64) download updated: 05.26.2017

Petrie's Challenge
(N64) download updated: 05.28.2017
(1.0) download updated: 05.28.2017
[ED64 Fix]3 (just the ED64 fix, no N64 colors) download updated: 05.28.2017
[ED64 Fix]3 (N64) download updated: 05.28.2017
[ED64 Fix]3 (1.0) download updated: 05.28.2017

2 Not supported by haddockd, but he is OK with it existing
3 GBM made a slight change that allows the game to be completed on hardware.  It modifies a platform so that it no longer overlaps another object while keeping the same level of difficulty.  The overlap caused the game to crash when the room was entered the 2nd time around.

Credits

CloudMax and mzxrules  -  Cloudmax's wiki with quite a lot of documentation
Aroenai  -  Gerudo textures, (A) color in the kaleidoscope, everything to do with the ocarina, text cursor color, ending fix, Fire Temple music, passing on fkualol's fixes, and in general keeping me interested in working on these patches
fkualol  -  original Fire Temple music patch, Game Saved screen, and MQ Water Temple Door fix
Zoinkity  -  rom compressor program
GBM  -  fix for Petrie's Challenge to get it to work on the ED64
pcfreak324  -  help with PAL Ending Timing
Nemok - help with French GC character set
ozidual  -  Other Gerudo textures, (1.0/N64) text fixes, shop cursor, HUD and kaleidoscope, Ganon(dorf)'s blood, Nintendo 64 Intro, PAL Ending Timing, PAL Language Select, No Controller
Krikzz  -  ED64 and forum for testing

Changelog

3.28.2016 - Started learning how to ROM hack for this patch
4.6.2016  - Initial HUD color restoration (A and B)
4.10.2016 - Start button color restoration
4.26.2016 - Kaleidoscope restored (all except (A) in text box color)
5.13.2016 - Found Aroenai's thread in Krikzz's forum
5.14.2016 - Ocarina staff, (A) in kaleidoscope and text cursor colors restored, Ending fix - Thanks Aroenai!
5.16.2016 - Initial Shopkeeper Cursor patch developed
5.25.2016 - English Text restored
5.26.2016 - Final Shopkeeper Cursor patch developed
5.31.2016 - Ganon(dorf)'s blood restoration patch developed
6.3.2016  - Gerudo Fortress Gerudo Symbol restored
6.6.2016  - Fire Temple Music restored - Thanks Aroena and fkualol!
          - Spirit Temple Gerudo Symbol re-palletized
6.11.2016 - Gerudo Training Grounds Symbol re-palletized
6.15.2016 - (PAL GC, MQ, Debug) French/German text replaced with PAL 1.1 French/German text
6.19.2016 - Created this page to make my patches available
6.27.2016 - Voyager of Time added to Zelda Hacks
6.29.2016 - Game Saved screen added and Water Temple Door fixed - Thanks for the patches Aroenai and fkualol!
          - Ruinous Shards added to Zelda Hacks
          - (PAL GC/MQ) Text table fixed
7.1.2016  - Nintendo Intro added and PAL patches converted to 60Hz
7.2.2016  - (MM) Nintendo Intro patch developed
7.21.2016 - (PAL MQ) Options Screen - Language Select added
          - 3rd Shadow Temple Gerudo Symbol re-palletized and added
7.22.2016 - (PAL GC/MQ) - The unkillable stalfos bug (introduced in patches) was fixed
7.23.2016 - (PAL MQ) Options Screen - Language Select fixed to save the language choice
7.26.2016 - (PAL GC) Options Screen - Language Select added
8.1.2016  - (Debug) Options Screen - Language Select added
8.8.2016  - (PAL MQ, GC, Debug) Options Screen - Language Select updated to final version - Thanks Aroenai!
8.10.2016 - (MM) Options Screen - Language Select patch developed
8.13.2016 - (MM) Language Select Screen patch developed
8.15.2016 - Updated this page
8.16.2016 - (GC2N64) patches completed
          - Petrie's Challenge added to Zelda Hacks and All Patches
          - Debug Off created - Thanks for the compression table Aroenai!
8.17.2016 - Petrie's Challenge CRC fixed
8.20.2016 - Debug Off Pause Menu fixed
8.24.2016 - 1.0 patches updated with NTSC-U 1.0 text timing
          - French text fix for PAL GC and MQ
9.6.2016 - GBM fix for Petrie's Challenge, patches created, originals kept for purists
10.26.2016 - Added the 1.0 Fire Temple music to the 1.0 Petrie's Challenge patches (thanks GBM!)
11.28.2016 - Fixed problems with Game Saved (thanks GBM!)
          - PAL Ending Timing fix (thanks pcfreak324!)
          - Voyager of Time correct ROM patches created (thanks Kerr Avon and GBM!)
05.26.2017 - Restored No Controller prompt and fixed Nintendo 64 Intro glimmer for everything but Petrie's Challenge
05.28.2017 - Created patches for the newest Petrie's Challenge patch including all new updates (also updates allpatches.zip with these)
07.17.2017 - Added some tools including Save Manipulation tools.
09.09.2019 - Fixed French character set issue with GC.

Possible Future Plans
   Check up on any bugs
   Foreign Language patches
   Converting other Zelda Hacks to N64 colors
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 10:13 PM by ozidual »
Projects: Zelda OoT GCtoN64, Doshin the Giant, SSSV, Sim City 64, Getter Love, Shiren
Flash Carts: EverDrive64 2.5, EverDrive64 3.0, EverDrive N8, SD2SNES

Offline kmksoulja

• View Profile
Does your version require the expansion pak?

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
Nope, no need for the Expansion Pak.

The following fixes are not in my patch:
-2x text speed (like MM)
-Map select translation
-3x spin attack combos
-Utilize Expansion Pack memory
-Restore cow nose rings
-Fix Water Temple door in MQ (door used the wrong flag, resulting in an extra key)

I've considered doing the water temple fix for the 4 MQ roms.
Projects: Zelda OoT GCtoN64, Doshin the Giant, SSSV, Sim City 64, Getter Love, Shiren

Offline kmksoulja

• View Profile
thanks for the 1.0 patch it working great!

Zelda93

I'm glad you have made a version without the other game upgrades that modify the original such as the text speed and spin attack. Although, it would be good if you fixed that small key bug in the water temple. It's likely that it would be fixed in a future release if Nintendo ever released it again anyway. It's a bugfix, not an enhancement. I also do like the expansion pack idea, it's just making the game look better rather that changing game physics like the 3x spin attack does.

Offline Aroenai

• Sentient Hunk of Green Cheese
    • View Profile
I've tried to clear up this misconception multiple times, the 3x spin attack (the third combo for the quick spin which is broken by a glitch in the existing code, which is also fixed in MM) does not change game physics. It's also not currently in the patch due to the delay bug that was mentioned, and will be fixed eventually when fkualol comes up with a way to get around that issue.

The only enhancement in the patch is the 2x text speed (which MM already does because it brings the text speed to be more in line with the Japanese text) and utilizing the expansion pak ram. If you're so dead set against fixing glitches in the game code, then why are you asking to have the Water Temple door fixed? The Map Select translation was added by request, and is not seen during normal gameplay anyway (needs a gameshark code to activate).

The cow nose ring, 2x text speed, and fixed Master Quest Water Temple door are all changes present in the 3DS release. I have not checked the 3rd quick spin attack combo, but I assume it is as well.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 07:21 PM by Aroenai »
---
Mostly working on Zelda OoT & MM GC patches
Also, breaking region protections
Everdrive 64 v2.01 modified with an UltraCIC II, 64drive HW2

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
Thank you both for the comments.  I didn't want to go into this for the first post, but it probably needs to be said here.

I totally agree with everything Aroenai has said above.  His patch is what Nintendo SHOULD have done for the Gamecube release, which is why you see most of them in the 3DS release.  Seriously, download his patch, it is awesome!  A lot of Aroenai's fixes were included in the ROM, just not working because of bugs in the code.  Bugs, not purposely left out.

The Gamecube releases are flawed and rushed.  You can tell how rushed they were just by looking at the new Gerudo Symbol used at the beginning of the Spirit Temple.  The original one looks like an aged symbol chiseled out of the rock.  The new symbol looks like someone painted it on the rock and is very pixelized.  It just doesn't fit, and missing the locked door for the Water Temple is just sloppy, and on and on.  All I can think of is that they were under a time crunch.

As flawed as the Gamecube releases are though, I would have played through it the first time with my GC2N64 patch, just because that was how Nintendo created it at the time.  I like to experience the game the first time as closely to how it was released at the time as possible, tweaked just so it made sense on the N64.  I only created the 1.0 patch because people seemed to want it.  Future playthroughs for me are all going to be with Aroenai's patch.

Oh, and I do not plan on including the Expansion Pak for the same reasons I listed above.  If you want Nintendo's flawed, original product, then that's my patch. If you want something that looks, feels, and works better, then go with Aroenai's patch.  His is the better patch in my opinion, and there really isn't a need to pick and choose between his individual changes.  None of them are so drastic that they make it into a completely different game.  If you don't want to use the 3x spin attack, then don't.  The expansion pak will make it more beautiful, the faster text will get you through those boring sections more quickly.

The nose ring is a non-issue.  If cows these days want nose rings, it's up to them.  I'd let my theoretical daughter have a nose ring if she wanted one ;)

All that said, I still may fix the Water Temple key, more because of an OCD thing on my side.  I go back and forth on it because that Water Temple is just a pain in the butt to play through anyway :)  I need to do some testing to make sure the Rumble Pak is working correctly on finding the hidden items too.  If not, I will correct that too since it is more of a N64 to Gamecube and back conversion problem in my opinion.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 08:34 PM by ozidual »

Zelda93

I will download and enjoy the patches by both of you. I just don't agree that changing the text speed is fixing a glitch, like the water temple key bug. The OoT text speed has always been the same and it is more of a game enhancement and not a bug fix. That being said, I do like the idea of it and it will be beneficial for getting through those long boring bits and the expansion pack idea is great. It really doesn't matter but I don't really see why the cow nose rings were put in if they never even appeared in the original and we're beta models. The work done on this between both of you though is absolutely amazing and I've been looking for something like this ever since I got an Everdrive 64 and I appreciate what this is. It's nice to have multiple options for this patch.

Offline Aroenai

• View Profile
Just wanted to clarify, my comments were not directed at you ozidual. Just getting annoyed with a somewhat negligible bugfix being called a physics breaking "game enhancement" when it's not even included at the moment (granted, I did accidentally modify the wrong offset originally and that was what broke things. But that wasn't the fault of the actual fix)

Also, I have a working ASM patch for the USA MQ rom to restore the Game Saved screen, once I have it ported to a few more versions I'll send it your way.
---

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
@Aroenai: You are awesome Aroenai!  No worries at all.  I just hope my post above that turned into a book will help clarify both patches for everyone :)

It would be nice if we could have a paid beta testing team and then release the patches to the public once all of the errors were ironed out.  I do think all of the feedback positive and negative comes from passion for the game, and it can't be helped.  No two people have the same vision for it :)

@Zelda93: Thank you for following both of our patches.  While we create the patches for ourselves, we really want others to enjoy them too.  I will be putting a lot of my notes (none of Aroenai's) online in case others want to follow and create their own patches.  Zelda Modding has a pretty good community.

Offline Aroenai

• View Profile
It would be nice if we could have a paid beta testing team...

:o

Most of mine are texture offsets, and a few color offsets I ported from the MM GC rom. The debug rom code offsets I have posted to zelda64.net, since that's all everyone seems to care about modding...
---

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
Thanks for all of the hard work, mate.

Offline Trevor

• Goldfinger64 Dev Location:UK
  • Everdrive64 v2 (PAL)
    • View Profile
Yes, thank you both.
I do have to say that the long list of patch downloads and naming conventions do make it look more complicated than it is.
Ozidule = GC > N64 button colours, including Big N's bugs.
Ozi v1.0=  GC > N64 button colours, including Big N's bugs. + Beta Symols
Aroenai = GC > N64 Button colours + BugFixes +(some beta restortion, nothing drastic)

Both provide NTSC (U/J) and PAL patches on GC/Debug ROMS.

actually... Ozidual has a 1.0 patch... isnt this the same as... never mind...

Trev

Offline Arnold101

• View Profile
i treid 4 sword mod and not boot. i need to use the ed64 cheat code to boot?

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
Gotcha.  Nah, shouldn't need the cheat codes.  Thanks for testing it out though.  It would be a heck of a lot easier if that worked :)

Could someone post a list of OoT and OoT MQ hacks that work on the ED64?  I'm almost finished with Voyager of Time, at least with my patches.  I'll make a GC2N64 and a 1.0 version as best I can.  What I will not change is colors that are already changed by the hacks (e.g. (A) to Equip/(A) to Save/(A) to Play in Voyager of Time is already a purple color).

Also, if you have made any of these hacks and would like to add to the official patch, I don't mind passing on my notes.  Alternatively, if you don't want your hack patched with the N64 colors, let me know too.

I'm pretty close to finishing r2 versions of my patches.  r2 will currently include Game Saved and the Water Temple Door fix for the MQs (thanks Aroenai and fkualol!).  If you don't want these updates, download the current patches while they're still available :)