Author Topic: Everdrive N8 random white artifacts on screen?  (Read 27076 times)

Offline zansatsu0

• View Profile
Re: Everdrive N8 random white artifacts on screen?
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2016, 12:59 AM »
I think I've ruled out the AV/Power unit. I took an Alps AV/Power unit and swapped it onto a motherboard exhibiting these artifacts that came stock with a Mitsumi AV/Power unit and the artifacts were still present. This rules out 5V rail noise. Whatever is happening is doing so independent of the power supply. This could be a firmware issue in relation to CPU/PPU revision.

@krikzz: I am willing to ship you a frontloader NES that exhibits this issue for testing, if you think it would help. PM me if you are interested.

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2016, 06:45 AM »
Hey Zansatsu, perhaps you can get a second hand oscilloscope? I guess you are from the US where they are easy to get. The next week I'm going to test the N8 with a couple of NES (front loader) consoles I have and use an oscilloscope to check for 5V noise.
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

Offline immrbig

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2016, 07:56 AM »
I am using a custom AC/DC converter circuit, but I have completely ruled this circuit out as a source of interference.

I have Rev G NTSC CPU/PPUs, and my motherboard is stamped -09.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 01:16 PM by immrbig »

Offline polyh3dron

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2016, 10:09 AM »
I get this like crazy on my NESRGB modded AV Famicom with the EDN8, but only on certain games. The game that stands out the most is Gargoyle's Quest 2. This is both on my PVM and my Framemeister.

Offline zansatsu0

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2016, 06:58 PM »
Hey Zansatsu, perhaps you can get a second hand oscilloscope? I guess you are from the US where they are easy to get. The next week I'm going to test the N8 with a couple of NES (front loader) consoles I have and use an oscilloscope to check for 5V noise.

I'm looking into acquiring an oscilloscope at the moment, I just have to wait for the funds to accumulate.

I'm very interested to see what your results are!

Offline zansatsu0

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2016, 07:04 PM »
I am using a custom AC/DC converter circuit, but I have completely ruled this circuit out as a source of interference.

I have Rev G NTSC CPU/PPUs, and my motherboard is stamped -09.

The odd thing is that I'm seeing these artifacts on revision G at about a 50% occurrence rate. Some have them, some don't.

Also, it's very cool that you have a custom AC/DC power source as this confirms my findings too. Thanks for responding. :)

Offline mrGREEK360

• View Profile
    • mrGREEK360's Tech & Gaming YouTube Channel
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2016, 07:51 AM »
I was seeing graphical glitches in smb real cart and everdrive so I went on a hunt for info, I have come upon this.

http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13046 - short version of the info
http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10104 - original post

I think this issue was discussed on nes dev, this happens on stock nes NTSC / j NTSC Famicom with original carts about 1/4 every time you boot certain games with coding that causes this bug.

I'm not knowledgeable about this stuff but if its a different graphical glich sorry for wasting your time lol.
Stone Age Gamer Deluxe Flash Carts I Own - Everdrive N8 (Dark Classic) - SD2SNES (Ultra Purple) - Mega Everdrive (Fire Red) - Everdrive 64 (Cobalt Blue) - Everdrive GB (Charcoal Gray)

Other Flash Carts - EZ Flash IV (GBA), Passcard 3 (DS), Gateway (3DS), R4i (DS)

http://www.youtube.com/liquidg

Offline immrbig

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2016, 03:00 PM »
I was seeing graphical glitches in smb real cart and everdrive so I went on a hunt for info, I have come upon this.

http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13046 - short version of the info
http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10104 - original post

I think this issue was discussed on nes dev, this happens on stock nes NTSC / j NTSC Famicom with original carts about 1/4 every time you boot certain games with coding that causes this bug.

I'm not knowledgeable about this stuff but if its a different graphical glich sorry for wasting your time lol.

This is a different issue, specific to SMB (don't personally know about other games), and unrelated to EDN8.  Even authentic cartridges on original NES hardware do this.

Offline RetroRyan84

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2016, 08:03 PM »
I have two Everdrive N8's and both do this on my front loader NES too! Some games worse then others like you guys have stated. I really hope you guys get to the bottom of this! It's very frustrating. My Everdrive MD and Super Everdrive play every game flawlessly without glitches. I wish my N8's did too :( Can Krikzz chime in here please

Offline onegoodsoul

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2016, 01:35 AM »
Same problem here. EverDrive n8, frontloader, NESRGB. Tried different SD cards, different brands. I tested on a real cartridge, no issues (Ninja Gaiden (USA). Tested with same game (Ninja Gaiden (USA, on EverDrive n8 - random horizontal lines that appear for about 1 frame. Some games have this issue, others do not.

I have tried a different powers supply, same issue. NES SN# is about 2,48XX,XXX.

Looks like a PPU related issue. I purchased my N8 from StoneageGamer.com early 2016 and I am using latest OS.

Anyone have ideas?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 01:38 AM by onegoodsoul »

Offline desy

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2016, 08:28 PM »
I have 6 front loader NES.. out of those 6, two of them exhibit no issues. I should try to open them up to note any differences.

krikzz, have you seen this in your testing as well?

Offline zansatsu0

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2016, 08:39 PM »
I have 6 front loader NES.. out of those 6, two of them exhibit no issues. I should try to open them up to note any differences.

krikzz, have you seen this in your testing as well?

I did some preliminary investigation on this and found that NES consoles with the Mitsumi AV/Power units have a tendency to do this more often than ones using the Alps AV/Power units. I tried swapping an Alps AV/P unit in for a Mitsumi AV/P unit, but it wasn't the AV/P unit itself. It makes me think that there may be a minor difference in some PPU / CPU revisions despite being revision G. But a generally good indicator is units with Alps power supplies tend to do it less. If anyone has information to the contrary, please post here.

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2016, 08:49 PM »
I have this issue on some games with the AVS, but not with my AV Famicom. Odd thing is that there are some games were only the US or JP version is affected.

Edit: Reverted back to the stable firmware (1.10) for AVS and the artifact problem disappeared.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 10:38 PM by brianvgplayer »

Offline onegoodsoul

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2016, 09:40 PM »
Any progress on this issue? I am hopeful Krikzz can shed some light on the issue.

Offline EvilMilkshake

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2016, 02:57 AM »
I am also experiencing this. Any info is greatly appreciated. I've only been able to test a few of the games vs the N8, but I have not been able to duplicate the problem on the original carts. Some games like Tetris and Punch-out show the effects very frequently, like every second or two.