Author Topic: Differences between genuine SD2SNES and Chinese clones  (Read 21260 times)

Offline StuMcBill

• View Profile
Re: Differences between genuine SD2SNES and Chinese clones
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2016, 06:49 PM »
Is there anyway I can tell the difference between a "good" and a "bad" Chinese knockoff?

Offline OneBagTravel

• Sony KV-20FV300
  • Has the Perrier gone straight to my head?
    • View Profile
    • OneBagTravel.com
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2016, 11:48 PM »
Is there anyway I can tell the difference between a "good" and a "bad" Chinese knockoff?
I've been here for months and have yet to see anyone with a "bad" chinese board. Ikari has reported that he's seen some that can't be firmware updated but if it was a major problem I'd imagine we'd see more people complaining on the forum.  Without pics of the board, I imagine it's near impossible to tell a good from bad build.
Travel light & smart. SFC using HD Retrovision component cables.

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2016, 07:22 PM »
I've been here for months and have yet to see anyone with a "bad" chinese board. Ikari has reported that he's seen some that can't be firmware updated but if it was a major problem I'd imagine we'd see more people complaining on the forum.  Without pics of the board, I imagine it's near impossible to tell a good from bad build.

I bought 2 chinese SD2SNES at different times and both had problems (The RTC didn't work and I can't update the firmware), I didn't make any comments about that in this forum because those weren't Krikzz products. I'm sure there are more people with the same problem.
The games run fine though.
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

Offline RetroRGB

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2016, 11:03 PM »
I bought one to test for myself a few months ago (I do own a real one) and MSU audio doesn't work on it.  I wouldn't trust them.

Offline CZroe

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2017, 05:57 PM »
I have both an "official" one and just bought a Chinese one.  The Chinese one doesn't work with MSU audio games (just before the 4 min mark):  https://youtu.be/5i1XsTtCerM
The pics on your site are extremely low-res (watered down on mobile?) but I suspect I may also have a Chinese version. Your video describes that MSU-1 doesn't work "at all." Have you tried cranking the TV volume up? I can barely hear the MSU-1 audio, but it is there for me. Mine may be original but I bought it used and I'm not getting MSU-1 audio after the Rev H mod. Unfortunately, I didn't test before performing the mod because I also have a Rev H, but I am confident that I didn't screw it up. Everything is aligned and connected properly and there are no shorts. Chip orientation is correct and I even switched to a spare board with extra care for alignment.

https://imgur.com/a/iQmAS

I wouldn't be surprised if it is real but simply broken.

Edit: It works! Looks like my isopropyl from cleaning up just got some places it shouldn't be and didn't readily evaporate.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 06:21 AM by CZroe »

Offline Magpye

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2017, 04:31 PM »
I recently acquired an SD2SNES from Aliexpress and it works perfectly. Build quality (outside of the shell) is on-par with my official Super Everdrive.

Offline CZroe

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2017, 10:13 PM »
I recently acquired an SD2SNES from Aliexpress and it works perfectly. Build quality (outside of the shell) is on-par with my official Super Everdrive.
Good to know. Did you test MSU-1?

Offline fille1976

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2017, 11:51 PM »
Why you did that mod on rev H?,i believe thats the rev where the problem is fixed,its on the other revisions you need the mod.
I soldered that board and did another mod to come from rev E to rev H.
H is also the latest rev for sd2snes.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 11:52 PM by fille1976 »

Offline Magpye

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2018, 12:48 AM »
Yep! It's working great. Super Road Blaster's VMVs are nice and smooth and the CD quality audio in the games sounds fantastic.

Offline CZroe

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2018, 02:47 AM »
Why you did that mod on rev H?,i believe thats the rev where the problem is fixed,its on the other revisions you need the mod.
I soldered that board and did another mod to come from rev E to rev H.
H is also the latest rev for sd2snes.
I didn't.
There are two SD2SNES boards in that album. I modded the rev E1b and the Rev H is for reference. I had the RevH before I got the E1b in a trade. It was for my nephew's Christmas present. :)

Yep! It's working great. Super Road Blaster's VMVs are nice and smooth and the CD quality audio in the games sounds fantastic.
Awesome! Good to know that MSU-1 does work on some of the commercial ones that Krikzz does not make.

Offline Herrusa

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2020, 02:28 AM »
The chinese have new SD2SNES Pro, they uses a Altera Cyclone II in this one.
https://imgur.com/a/pGz1W72?

The special chip games like Starfox, Mega Man X2, Super Mario Kart, Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island and SUPER MARIO RPG works out of the box without problems or firmware update(you can update this SD2SNES clone)

This clone of the SD2SNES is the newest version and uses the micro sd card, the old version have a red cart and uses the standard sd card.

Thes special chips works with this clone:
BS-X
DSP-1/1B
DSP-2
DSP-3
DSP-4
ST-010
Cx4
MSU-1
S-RTC
OBC-1
GSU (Super FX)
SA-1
S-DD

Offline sdqfsdf

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2020, 06:38 PM »
The chinese have new SD2SNES Pro, they uses a Altera Cyclone II in this one.
https://imgur.com/a/pGz1W72?

(...)

SA-1
S-DD

Do you happen to have a link or search term? I cannot find it myself on AliExpress.

Offline Relikk

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2020, 12:10 AM »
Seriously? Posting links to a clone device on the genuine manufacturers forum?

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2020, 12:15 AM »

Jeez, so tired of reading things like that. SD2SNES is completly open-source and its circuit, data and pcb gerber are offered officially for free to anyone by ikari. It is completly different than a chinese company cloning the Everdrive for example. Anyone can freely build and sell an SD2SNES and it is completly legit. Now some chinese company do have crappy quality assurance and testing on their product, but they’re not clone, they’re just SD2SNES build/assembled by a different company. Now, weither or not they should be advertised with link here is a different story, but those company are actually playing by the rules for once and they’re not « cloning » a product.

Offline dreimer

• View Profile
    • Reimi's Blog
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2020, 03:12 AM »

Jeez, so tired of reading things like that. SD2SNES is completly open-source and its circuit, data and pcb gerber are offered officially for free to anyone by ikari. It is completly different than a chinese company cloning the Everdrive for example. Anyone can freely build and sell an SD2SNES and it is completly legit. Now some chinese company do have crappy quality assurance and testing on their product, but they’re not clone, they’re just SD2SNES build/assembled by a different company. Now, weither or not they should be advertised with link here is a different story, but those company are actually playing by the rules for once and they’re not « cloning » a product.

And I am sick of ppl saying that crap again and again.
He said SD2SNES Pro aka FXPAK. Maybe I am blind, but I am sure you can lead me to the open source pcbs and open sourced boot loader for the Pro maybe? You said it's open, so prove it! https://github.com/mrehkopf/sd2snes Otherwise everything said is true and the whole clone mess should be permamantly removed off this forum.