Author Topic: topgear rally  (Read 3787 times)

Offline jonesalmighty

• View Profile
    • GitHub
topgear rally
« on: July 27, 2016, 04:07 AM »
first of all, I am sorry if my question is either stupid or my punctuation is ridiculously incorrect, it is my birthday and I have been drinking heavily! that said, I have decided to partake in a session of Topgear Rally, however when I try to save to either the "Game Pak" or the "Controller Pak" I get an error/warning that it cannot access it and data cannot be saved#! I am guessing it is because it is trying to save as the wrong type on everdrive and my controllerpaks battery pack has given up the ghost... any ideas?
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth...

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
Re: topgear rally
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 04:24 AM »
If you have a controller pak, try removing it.  Then power the N64 off and on again, and give top gear rally another try.
Projects: Zelda OoT GCtoN64, Doshin the Giant, SSSV, Sim City 64, Getter Love, Shiren
Flash Carts: EverDrive64 2.5, EverDrive N8, SD2SNES

Offline Trevor

• Goldfinger64 Dev Location:UK
  • Everdrive64 v2 (PAL)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 12:01 PM »
Controller Paks with dead batterys still work while the consol power is on (Provided the game supports formatting, TWINE and PD both do) its when the power goes off that it looses the data.
With the ED you can load PD, format the pak, reset back to menu,(load to pak from sd*) load Top Gear, play, save, reset back to menu, z I think and save controller pak to SD. All without loosing power once.

*to replay, follow above with aditional load to pak from sd before loading Top Gear.

Trev

Offline jonesalmighty

• View Profile
    • GitHub
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 02:33 AM »
Thanks for the tips, I have now got the controller pak to work, I think it might have been a dusty connection but a few removals and inserts whilst in perfect dark gave me enough information and eventually repair it.

The only problem left now is the inability to save to gamepak. When I try, I get the message "CANNOT ACCESS GAME PAK SAVE AREA. DATA CANNOT BE SAVED." I have tried all of the different save types from the ED menu but all show the same message!

Also, according to the website https://tcrf.net/Top_Gear_Rally it says the PAL version (which I am using) should save to EEPROM?! I can supply a dumped rom from my cartridge if Krikzz needs to test...

UPDATE: I have figured it out, I wasn't selecting the game before changing the save type. It needs to be set to EEP4K and then it works. I will try modding the save db with its crc hi (0x7f43e701) next time the SD card is in my computer.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 03:29 AM by jonesalmighty »
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth...