Author Topic: Micro SD issues with EverDrive GBA  (Read 34982 times)

Offline Floob

• View Profile
    • Retrogaming on a Raspberry Pi
Micro SD issues with EverDrive GBA
« on: August 06, 2016, 08:10 PM »
Update

Here is a sheet that may help.
Feel free to update!

Compatible Micro SD Cards
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LwisiZo8DoQIoqZyy-GHAoSDJC9oh8Q1j9rxrARlKDw/edit?usp=sharing

Updated GBA OS 1.03 should fix this issue!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=5528.0

Quote from Krikzz about latest update
Seems like problem fixed, now all should work fine. OS v1.03 in pair with bootloader v1.02 should fix problem with sd cards. Well, let try it (:
OS 1.03: http://krikzz.com/pub/support/everdrive-gba/OS/GBAOS-v1.03.zip
booloader update 1.02: http://krikzz.com/pub/support/everdrive-gba/bootloader/

Bootloader update 1.02 notes:
This update required only for users who has problems with sd cards compatibility (SDIO and FAT errors)
Do not install this update if you already have bootloader 1.02 or higher version. Turn on your cart without SD cart to check bootloader version. Version shown on the top of the screen (EverDrive-GBA bootloader v1.xx)

Instalation instructions:
1. Load OS v1.03 or newer on SD card
2. Copy boot-v1.02.upd on root folder on SD card
3. Select boot-v1.02.upd file in cart menu and push "Update bootloader"
4. Reboot your system.

IMPORTANT: To install this update you will need SD card which already working properly with your everdrive-gba, or at least stable enough to boot OS. If you can not boot OS, then you can not install current update.

=================================
I've just tried 2 brand new micro SD cards from Samsung (Samsung Memory 32 GB Evo MicroSDHC UHS-I Grade 1 Class 10 Memory Card):
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Memory-MicroSDHC-UHS-I-Adapter/dp/B00J29BR3Y/

I get various issues running games on the ED-GBA with these cards, pics below. Typically the first run is ok, then after a reboot I get these errors.

http://postimg.org/gallery/2cu1alidk/

I just tried a Kingston 8GB Class 4, and its absolutely fine.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-SDC4-8GBSP-Class-MicroSDHC/dp/B0027CA7UW/
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 01:01 AM by Floob »
Retro Gaming on the Raspberry Pi
http://www.youtube.com/c/SmartretroCoUk-Gaming

Offline SmokeMonster

• Puzzle Bobbler
  • tsst tchh chh ch ch ch
    • View Profile
    • SmokeMonster YouTube Channel
Re: Micro SD issues with EverDrive GBA
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 08:54 PM »
Before giving up on the cards, you can try formatting them with different FAT32 allocation (cluster) sizes. This can often fix errors. Lately I've been using the largest cluster size available in the Windows format dialog for EverDrives.

Offline FeverDrive

• GOTTA GO FAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 11:09 PM »
Before giving up on the cards, you can try formatting them with different FAT32 allocation (cluster) sizes. This can often fix errors. Lately I've been using the largest cluster size available in the Windows format dialog for EverDrives.

I didn't know this trick, thanks.
Previously known as DC/AC

Offline manic23

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 09:28 AM »
I'm getting the exact same error, I will try the cluster size trick though and report back.

I'm also getting issues where the GBA will sometimes not turn on for 3 or 4 times when the X5 is inserted.

Edit:

Cluster sizes are making no difference to me. If I use Firmware 1.00 I get IO errors, if I use 1.01 I get an error saying that the GBAOS.GBA file is not found even though it is in the correct folder.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 09:47 AM by manic23 »

Offline GAME1213

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 09:41 AM »
I'm having the same issue. Can only get my 8GB card to work.

Offline manic23

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 10:13 AM »
I can't even get a 2GB card to work!

Offline Floob

• View Profile
    • Retrogaming on a Raspberry Pi
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 03:03 PM »
Maybe this is a SD manufacturer compatibility issue?
My samsung doesnt work (reliably), but my kingston does.

Always formatted as FAT32.
Retro Gaming on the Raspberry Pi
http://www.youtube.com/c/SmartretroCoUk-Gaming

Offline karl_87

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 01:06 AM »
Can't use it! how disappointing!  :'( :'( :'(

I have tried 3 cards
SanDsik Ultra 64GB XC I 10 (very new card) (white and grey looking)
SanDisk Ultra 8GB HC I 10 (few years old) (red and grey looking)
SanDisk 8GB HC I 4 (old) (black)

Tried SD Formatter, Tried Fat32Formatter, tried a few different cluster sizes. It did show the menu once on the newer card but then never again.

Getting totally different error message.. Some times Fat Error, sometimes telling me to download the OS, sometimes D3 or other combinations of letters.

What to do Krikzz?

EDIT: Just tried my card from my EDGB, works fine in EDGB, but in EDGBA I get SD IO ERROR, so it can't be the card surely?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 01:16 AM by karl_87 »

Offline mobius_trip

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2016, 01:27 AM »
Just got mine today, and im experiencing the same issue, D3 error, SD i/o error. any word on what the problem is yet? SanDisk 16gb sdhc

Offline Deleroth

• View Profile
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2016, 01:52 AM »
I had the same error issue with my Samsung 32gb...looks like the same one Floob has. It actually wouldn't boot in the ED at all.
I swapped in a cheap Centon 32gb that didn't work with my EDGB and boom, flawless. Ran diagnostic and the "disk" failed, but it plays game with no problems now.

Offline mobius_trip

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2016, 03:37 AM »
i also had success by swapping to a kingston 8gb, but i have around 10gb of stuff id like to have on the card, wonder what the problem is...

Offline Boured

• Technological Whiz
  • Flashcarts: Your entire collection in one cart!
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2016, 05:29 AM »
I had SD problems in the past with other Flash Carts. I don't know if this will work with the EDGBA but here is how I get SD cards to work on my other flash carts.

1. Click the start menu and click run, if on Windows 10 just click the search bar.

2. Type diskpart into the text area and push enter (Be sure to run as admin)

3. A command prompt should pop up displaying diskpart, let it load (When you can type things in it has successfully loaded)

4. Type "list disk" without ""

5. Find the disk that matches the space on your SD card and type "select disk (Disk number)" without the ""

6. Type "clean" without the ""

7. Type "convert mbr" without the ""

8. Type "create partition primary" without the ""

9. Type "format quick" without the ""

10. Now format it like you normally would in FAT32, it should work flawlessly now.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 05:34 AM by Boured »
"Be happy while you are living, because it is almost impossible to do when you are dead"

Offline FriendofSonic

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2016, 10:27 AM »
I had SD problems in the past with other Flash Carts. I don't know if this will work with the EDGBA but here is how I get SD cards to work on my other flash carts.

1. Click the start menu and click run, if on Windows 10 just click the search bar.

2. Type diskpart into the text area and push enter (Be sure to run as admin)

3. A command prompt should pop up displaying diskpart, let it load (When you can type things in it has successfully loaded)

4. Type "list disk" without ""

5. Find the disk that matches the space on your SD card and type "select disk (Disk number)" without the ""

6. Type "clean" without the ""

7. Type "convert mbr" without the ""

8. Type "create partition primary" without the ""

9. Type "format quick" without the ""

10. Now format it like you normally would in FAT32, it should work flawlessly now.
Wow! This worked PERFECTLY. I don't understand why new out of the box SD cards need this, but you fixed up the Samsung Evo 32GB card that was giving me "IO" errors. THANK YOU!

Offline manic23

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2016, 02:50 PM »
The Disk Part trick has not worked for my on my 32GB SanDisk Ultra SDHC, but thanks for the info, it might work for some.

I have had a reply from krikzz and he suggested that I try unticking the quick format option and do a full format. I tried this on my 32GB SanDisk Ultra and still no joy, different error, says Error F6 No FAT Found.

I have however had luck with this method on an old 4GB SanDisk card, it does mean that I have to have fewer games available but at least its working (at the moment). I have told krikzz about the issues, I think he has to admit that the is a problem with the X5 working with common micro SD cards. Lets hope he can fix it.

Offline Boured

• Technological Whiz
  • Flashcarts: Your entire collection in one cart!
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2016, 03:59 PM »
The Disk Part trick has not worked for my on my 32GB SanDisk Ultra SDHC, but thanks for the info, it might work for some.

I have had a reply from krikzz and he suggested that I try unticking the quick format option and do a full format. I tried this on my 32GB SanDisk Ultra and still no joy, different error, says Error F6 No FAT Found.

I have however had luck with this method on an old 4GB SanDisk card, it does mean that I have to have fewer games available but at least its working (at the moment). I have told krikzz about the issues, I think he has to admit that the is a problem with the X5 working with common micro SD cards. Lets hope he can fix it.

I hope so as well, bopefully my 32GB SanDisk can be read nicely when the new batch of EDGBA get here. It's also nice to see that Krikzz is working on fixing it.
"Be happy while you are living, because it is almost impossible to do when you are dead"