Author Topic: What will the GBA Everdrive X7 have that the X5 don't?  (Read 48022 times)

Offline Galron

• View Profile
Re: What will the GBA Everdrive X7 have that the X5 don't?
« Reply #75 on: October 07, 2016, 02:28 PM »
One of the only 'reviews' that talks about the hardware, and how things could be 'shrunk down' in future versions.

https://gbatemp.net/review/everdrive-gba-x5.489/

I have seen comments stating that the EZ-Flash IV can be bought for less and doesn't stick out - both of these statements are true. The EZ-Flash IV places ICs on both sides of the PCB, which let the EZ-Team stuff everything in a GBA-sized cartridge. The EverDrive GBA X5 has them only on the front side of the PCB instead which is cheaper to manufacture but bigger. So the answer to the question of why is the ED GBA X5 not placing components on both sides of the PCB is obvious: to keep costs low. Krikzz is a small indie developer and gets his flashcards produced in small batches. That makes them way more expensive to make than what you could pay to get them mass manufactured in China. Krikzz is also working on a new naming convention for his flashcards: X3, X5 and X7, which respectively mean "budget", "mainstream" and "premium" cards. As you can notice, the EverDrive GBA X5 is a "mainstream" card which might be the reason why he went for placing the ICs on just one side of the PCB instead of both - it also seems that an EverDrive GBA X7 will be released sometime in the future. We can speculate that one of the features of that premium card will be a shorter PCB with both sides fully populated - but you can expect to pay a steep premium for that.

Offline Shadow

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 08, 2016, 02:41 AM »

Let's do it then. How could we be assured the hired programmer will fullfil his duties? do we make him sign a contract? how would it all work?

Alright I'll send a few emails. We'll have to work out a payment system. Would be ideal to do it through a company such as here. Anyone see this site before?
https://www.toptal.com/fpga?adnetwork=search&keyword=%2Bfpga%20%2Bprogrammer&creative=146642810136&campaignid=660621552&adgroupid=37468295030&matchtype=b&network=g&device=c&devicemodel=&adposition=1t3&noun=Programmers&gclid=CjwKEAjwj92_BRDQ-NuC98SZkWYSJACWmjhlpHg2_nX3oB6-Vq5SuV1dW7nUxiJCMYo9OyaVqWKiahoC0b3w_wcB

This site actually has listed prices per hour. I wonder how long it would take to program the SA1 and FX chips...
https://www.upwork.com/hire/fpga-freelancers/
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 03:05 AM by Shadow »

Offline leonquest

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 09, 2016, 10:03 PM »

Let's do it then. How could we be assured the hired programmer will fullfil his duties? do we make him sign a contract? how would it all work?

Alright I'll send a few emails. We'll have to work out a payment system. Would be ideal to do it through a company such as here. Anyone see this site before?
https://www.toptal.com/fpga?adnetwork=search&keyword=%2Bfpga%20%2Bprogrammer&creative=146642810136&campaignid=660621552&adgroupid=37468295030&matchtype=b&network=g&device=c&devicemodel=&adposition=1t3&noun=Programmers&gclid=CjwKEAjwj92_BRDQ-NuC98SZkWYSJACWmjhlpHg2_nX3oB6-Vq5SuV1dW7nUxiJCMYo9OyaVqWKiahoC0b3w_wcB

This site actually has listed prices per hour. I wonder how long it would take to program the SA1 and FX chips...
https://www.upwork.com/hire/fpga-freelancers/

I'm only concerned with the legal aspect of it. There was a kickstarter where some guys paid a programmer in full, in advance, and he never completed the job. We need some kind of guarantee that this guys will fulfill the contract once paid.
Everdrive64 V3 - SD2Snes rev. f - Everdrive N8 fami - MegaEd X3 - PS IO - MODE - MISTer

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 11, 2016, 11:09 PM »
You have to be careful with paying a programmer, I think it's not enough to "know FPGA programming" the person also has to know reverse engineering and how the SNES works internally among many more details we don't know. We don't know if even doing the SuperFX and other chips implementations in FPGA is something possible and just matter of enough work/money.
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

Offline Shadow

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 12, 2016, 11:37 AM »
You have to be careful with paying a programmer, I think it's not enough to "know FPGA programming" the person also has to know reverse engineering and how the SNES works internally among many more details we don't know. We don't know if even doing the SuperFX and other chips implementations in FPGA is something possible and just matter of enough work/money.

Good points... so what should we do?

Offline sevo

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 04, 2016, 11:23 PM »
Any ETA on an X3 or X7 version? I'm really hoping for one that fits flush with the GBA.

Offline Shadow666

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 05, 2016, 03:28 AM »
Any ETA on an X3 or X7 version? I'm really hoping for one that fits flush with the GBA.

March 2027

Offline StarDust4Ever

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 05, 2016, 11:34 AM »

March 2027
I know this was meant as a joke, but perhaps it would have been better if Krikzz dropped the x3 x5 x7 vernacular to avoid confusion and just labelled it GBA Everdrive. Then at a later date if he wanted to create teirs of flashcards, the older one could become the x5 and new premium x7 or budget x3 could release. Kinda like how the Mega ED v2 became MD x7, the EDMD v3 got retired in favor of the comparable x5 model, and a budget x3 model out.

People waiting for the x7 will be waiting for a very long time if ever. x5 already has nearly every feature one could want sans rarely used tilt sensors, photo, or rumble. Well maybe except save states! Save state support in a future x7 model would be nice. As it is, x5 comes feature packed. It even have 3rd party emulator support in firmware.

One possible future tweak that could use improvement would be independent clock settings per game in future revisions so Pokemon titles don't reset the system clock every time a new save is created. Then add a global setting to adjust RTC through the menu. If that couldn't be fixed in firmware then maybe a future hw revision but I don't see creating a new SKU just for that. I don't play a lot of Pokemon though so I'm not sure what side effect clock tampering has on the games.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 11:36 AM by StarDust4Ever »

Offline jajabinx35

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 07, 2017, 12:33 AM »
Hi all,

I registered because I already own an Everdrive (it's actually an Everdrive GB). - I just want to find out if a new version will be made like an x7. I also use my Micro and I know I sound very picky to say this, but I really want a version where it fits level to the input slot in the Micro.

Therefore, will there be a new edition released soon? - If not, I may end up buying the x5.

Offline phoenixdownita

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 07, 2017, 08:43 AM »
I have a GBA micro with an X5 and I am a happy camper, yes it the card was smaller it would be a little better but in reality my main gripe is with the super bright red led ... go figure.
I do not know when/if an GBAED X7 will come out (eventually it will) as Krikzz was busy working on the EDGB x3/x5/x7, given that is almost wrapped up whatever comes next is up for anyone's to guess.

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 08, 2017, 05:21 AM »

March 2027
I know this was meant as a joke, but perhaps it would have been better if Krikzz dropped the x3 x5 x7 vernacular to avoid confusion and just labelled it GBA Everdrive. Then at a later date if he wanted to create teirs of flashcards, the older one could become the x5 and new premium x7 or budget x3 could release. Kinda like how the Mega ED v2 became MD x7, the EDMD v3 got retired in favor of the comparable x5 model, and a budget x3 model out.

I think it's too late for that.
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

Offline Swift S. Lawliet

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 08, 2017, 05:43 PM »
I would personally want some extra features which will be beneficial for DS/DS Lite users in the EverDrive-GBA X7
We could add in the ability to flash a different header for a GBA game and save for the games with GBA/DS linking like the Castlevania games, Pokemon games and Harvest Moon.
I think it should also have a rumble pak for GBA games that have rumble like Pokemon Pinball and DS games with Rumble Pak support.
We can also add in Expansion Pak support for the DS Browser and some homebrew which can use it like Quake DS.
It would probably be a premium version of the EZ-Flash 3in1 Expansion Pak.
Of course, it will still work for the Game Boy Advance very well.
But other than that, I can't think of more bonus stuff now.

Also, this idea of the EverDrive-GBA X7 having some DS exclusive features would also bring in tons of good stuff if we had an EverDrive-DS in the future.
There can be tons of new stuff like microSDXC support, full region-free support for DSi-enhanced games, DSi-exclusive cartridges and DSiWare ROMs when played on a DSi, I'm not sure if a CPU like the Supercard DSTWO will work or not but I think it should be turned on and off for conserving the battery.
I am seeing this EverDrive-DS as the ultimate DS flashcart.
Again, I ran out of ideas and you can add more.

But again, these are my personal wishes and suggestions so it's all up to Krikzz in the end since he's the expert and the boss here.

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 11, 2017, 10:49 PM »
Swift as I understand it... The cart would have to have a couple of features in order to access DS/GBA connectivity.

First NOR flash memory to hold one game up in the memory, which it could load first instead of the menu. The EZ Flash 3-in-1 uses this option.

For the Pokemon game connectivity the issue comes down to the game trying to detect data form the saves from a certain type of memory, and if it can't find the saves in that memory (the flashcart uses a different kind of save), then it can't use the 'linking' feature. So it would take more work to 'patch' the games to look in the right spot.

There is more detail from Localhorst's research:

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=5842.msg45480#msg45480