Author Topic: Bomberman Max 2 Blue won't save.  (Read 4564 times)

Offline CharlieF

• View Profile
Bomberman Max 2 Blue won't save.
« on: August 19, 2016, 04:43 AM »
With OS 1.01 No-Intro Bomberman Max 2 Blue Advance (USA) has "Save Type: Off" and will not save. Only game I've encountered so far not working in OS 1.01. Can anyone else confirm or refute?  I see now that the No-Intro version is actually an intro-removed version and there is no clean dump of the USA version. Save works with (E) (J) versions. I have the original cartridge, it is a shame I can't dump a clean version of the rom for the community.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 05:02 AM by CharlieF »

Offline Shadow666

• View Profile
Re: Bomberman Max 2 Blue won't save.
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 05:02 AM »
With OS 1.01 No-Intro Bomberman Max 2 Blue Advance (USA) has "Save Type: Off" and will not save. Only game I've encountered so far not working in OS 1.01. Can anyone else confirm or refute?

probably be fixed in OS updates and Krikzz is on vaca atm

Offline CharlieF

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 01:40 PM »
Okay, from my testing, the only version of this game in GoodGBA 3.27 with "English" as an option that works, e.g., EDGBA identifies the correct save type and can actually save and load the *.eep save file, is the rom flagged as an overdump: Bomberman Max 2 - Red Advance (E) (M3) [o1].gba

The "non-overdump" (E) (M3) goes to a black screen once you start playing on EDGBA and in VisualBoy Advance and none of the (U) versions save and load properly.

Here is the AdvanceScene identifying information: http://www.advanscene.com/html/Releases/dbreleases.php?id=0929

Is this a problem with EDGBA not identifying the correct rom/save type or is it a problem with the current GoodGBA dat file not flagging the correct dump?

Offline Great Hierophant

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 07:51 PM »
There is no correct dump, ideally GoodGBA should flag the non-overdumped ROM as a bad dump. If the supposed "good" No-Intro dump does not save in VisualBoy Advance, I would suggest that should end the issue.  The original dumping group may have removed the saving capability because it was part of a copy protection check.
Check Out My Vintage Video Game & Computing Blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/

Offline Deoncy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 08:51 PM »
I have the original cartridge, it is a shame I can't dump a clean version of the rom for the community.

If you have a DS(Lite) with a slot 1 flash cart or a Game Boy Player and a GameCube that's able to run homebrew (and thus Game Boy Interface) then you can use one of those to try dumping your cart to see if it works. I wrote my own dumper for the DS about 10 years ago out of interest, I'm sure there are far better ones out there but I have no experience with them.

Offline CharlieF

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 09:17 PM »
I have a couple of DS(Lite)s, GameCubes, and GBPlayers. If you can direct me how to make one able to run homebrew, I like to tinker. I have a Flash2Advance usb-linker that used to work on my old computer through which I've made a couple of contributions. I've tried countless times to get it to work again and just given up.

If you have a DS(Lite) with a slot 1 flash cart or a Game Boy Player and a GameCube that's able to run homebrew (and thus Game Boy Interface) then you can use one of those to try dumping your cart to see if it works. I wrote my own dumper for the DS about 10 years ago out of interest, I'm sure there are far better ones out there but I have no experience with them.
[/quote]

Offline Deoncy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2016, 09:57 PM »
If you regularly use your Game Boy Player(s), apparently Game Boy Interface is far better than the original Nintendo software (I wouldn't know, I bought my player without a disc because that makes it significantly cheaper). There are a few ways to run homebrew on a GC; the two I'm familiar with are using an SSBM exploit, and using a XenoGC mod chip. The former is easier as long as you have SSBM, a softmodded Wii (...yeah, this is getting a bit convoluted - use Wii homebrew to put a save file on a GameCube memory card so you can use it to dump GBA games) and an SDGecko (cheap), the latter requires a bit of soldering and mini-DVDs.

The exploit to get arbitrary code running on your GameCube is called Home Bros. - that page also links to Game Boy Interface. If you don't have SSBM, there are a few other options in the soft mods forum.

It's worth noting that unlike the Wii, you can't permanently softmod a GameCube, but if you're just wanting to dump a game, it shouldn't be too much hassle.

Once you've got GBI set up, start it up without a cartridge in the slot and it'll automatically boot into a BIOS/ROM dumper. Put your cart in, select Dump ROM, and it'll write it (quite slowly) to an SD gecko in one of the memory card slots.

(Alternatively, the DS route is somewhat easier, as long as you have a slot 1 card; looks like someone else did a far better dumper than mine - http://gamebrew.org/wiki/GBA_Backup_Tool )

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2016, 10:30 PM »
so i edited my post here because you guys would be reading it for nothing. it seems after playing i found out that i had to beat more than one level so i could select levels after save.
 using vba emulator bomberman max 2 blue usa no intro rom works and saves fine, i have not tried my gba everdrive x5 yet because i'm waiting on my sd card to arrive.
 is the save issue mentioned here only specific to the gba 5? the no intro rom is saving fine using vba so you would think that it would save fine using gba x5 cart.
the crc for the no intro rom i used was 94C620F3 from the latest no intro set. is this the same rom crc that CharlieF is having issues with?

« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 11:29 PM by butfluffy »