Author Topic: Would a DS Everdrive be possible in the near future?  (Read 18997 times)

Offline Estil

• View Profile
Would a DS Everdrive be possible in the near future?
« on: August 17, 2016, 12:54 PM »
So far I've gotten the N8, SD2SNES, and Mega Everdrives (and hopefully soon the GB/GBC and N64 ones) and I must say they are awesome.  That being said though, I was just wondering if a DS Everdrive is possible in the near future?

Offline EthanW

• EthanW
  • Was "Ridj"
    • View Profile
Re: Would a DS Everdrive be possible in the near future?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 02:43 PM »
there will probably be a ds everdrive soon, the best current alternative is the dstwo plus
Everdrives i own: EDN8, EDGB, EDGBx7, EDGBAx5, EDGG

Offline Localhorst86

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 07:18 PM »
tbh, i think a ds everdrive is highly unlikely. There are a ton of reasons why:

1. There is a huge abundance of DS flashcard options. From the DSTwo to an almost infinite number of R4 clones and successors. Most of the more recent ones even work on the 3DS without any issues.

2. Those cards are pretty much feature complete since very few DS games contained special hardware (Pokemon Typing adventure contained a bluetooth module and Black2/White2 contained in IR module, cant think of anything else). The current flashcard options work with aprox. 99.9% of the DS games without any need to patch them.

3. Those cards are very cheap because they are abundand. I have seen R4 cards for less than $10 shipped. No way will Krikzz be able to design and manufacture his own card at a similar cost as he would most likely not be able to sell huge quantities so manufacturing cost would be significantly higher.

now, all this said, i wouldn't mind an everdrive DS, i just think it is very unlikeöy that krikzz is considering it.

Offline Estil

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 07:41 PM »
I guess Krikzz has their hands full enough already!  But won't those other DS flashcards mentioned be all watered down versions or something? :(

Can any of these take a 256GB micro sd card?  That's the size I need to fit the whole the complete DS rom set.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 07:55 PM by Estil »

Offline J^P

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 10:31 PM »
I guess Krikzz has their hands full enough already!  But won't those other DS flashcards mentioned be all watered down versions or something? :(

Can any of these take a 256GB micro sd card?  That's the size I need to fit the whole the complete DS rom set.
I THINK they are limited to 32gb. (also I dont think any flashcards supports 256gb sd cards anyway, or at least ones that has sd card slot and not usb port, even 3ds is limited to 64gb iirc)

But why would you want complete ds romset though? DS is know for having tons of shovelware and just shitty games, Im sure you can fit all good and obscure games within the 32gb microsd, if not, I doubt you are gonna play all of them anyway since DS has billions of games.

Offline Localhorst86

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 11:32 PM »

i wouldnt really know if they work with cards higher than 32Gb. you would need to try.

EDIT: This post I found says SDXC cards do work. https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-use-a-64gb-micro-sdxc-in-your-sdhc-compliant-flash-cart.335912/

Offline Jmbarnes101

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2016, 06:03 AM »
there will probably be a ds everdrive soon, the best current alternative is the dstwo plus

Is it even possible to find one of these somewhere? I've been looking and come up empty every time.

Offline Localhorst86

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2016, 08:19 AM »

Is it even possible to find one of these somewhere? I've been looking and come up empty every time.

a quick google search for the dtwo plus comes up with a lis of shops on where to buy the DSTwo Plus. at least the first 5 results are shops that sell it.

however, the DSTwo Plus is rather expensive ($60+) because it is compatible with 3DS games aa well and has a built in GBA and SNES emulator.

If DS games is all you want/need an R4 card (like the R4i Gold) might be a better choice as they are cheaper (can usually be found for $10-20).

i am using the r4i gold (http://www.r4ids.cn) and the r4i sdhc 3ds (http://r4i-sdhc.com)

Offline EthanW

• EthanW
  • Was "Ridj"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2016, 02:07 PM »
i got my dstwo plus from 3dscarduk.com.

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2016, 09:34 AM »
In the near future? No way.
In the far future, perhaps in 20 years when is impossible to find DS flashcarts.
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

Offline Estil

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2016, 12:23 AM »
So of those options which one is truly the best?  Frankly I'm impressed though DS flash card development has gotten as far as it has.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 01:21 AM by Estil »

Offline EthanW

• EthanW
  • Was "Ridj"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2016, 03:34 PM »
the dstwo is quite good, it works in the 3ds and has a gba emulator, mame emulator and snes emulator.

Offline omega

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2016, 07:28 PM »
tbh, i think a ds everdrive is highly unlikely. There are a ton of reasons why:

1. There is a huge abundance of DS flashcard options. From the DSTwo to an almost infinite number of R4 clones and successors. Most of the more recent ones even work on the 3DS without any issues.

2. Those cards are pretty much feature complete since very few DS games contained special hardware (Pokemon Typing adventure contained a bluetooth module and Black2/White2 contained in IR module, cant think of anything else). The current flashcard options work with aprox. 99.9% of the DS games without any need to patch them.

3. Those cards are very cheap because they are abundand. I have seen R4 cards for less than $10 shipped. No way will Krikzz be able to design and manufacture his own card at a similar cost as he would most likely not be able to sell huge quantities so manufacturing cost would be significantly higher.

now, all this said, i wouldn't mind an everdrive DS, i just think it is very unlikeöy that krikzz is considering it.

what this guy said^

there are lots of DS flashcarts out there. I honestly don't think krikzz could compete with the existing options price-wise.

That said, I still use a 'superkey lite' setup from ages ago, it works well enough and can run GBA games on the DS-lite in addition GB, GBC etc as well via built in emulators. BUT- it's old and clunky, and a clean option that works with SDHC cards would be a welcomed addition I suppose.

Offline Missingno255

• hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2016, 04:12 AM »
there are lots of DS flashcarts out there. I honestly don't think krikzz could compete with the existing options price-wise.
Clearly he's not selling Everdrive GBAs very well. Selling so poorly, they're flying off the goddamned shelves! /sarcasm
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 04:15 AM by Missingno255 »
Owned Everdrives: Everdrive MD, Mega Everdrive, Everdrive N8, Everdrive GB X5, Turbo Everdrive, Super Everdrive, Everdrive GBA

Misc Flashcarts: SD2SNES

Offline Localhorst86

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2016, 08:02 AM »
Clearly he's not selling Everdrive GBAs very well. Selling so poorly, they're flying off the goddamned shelves! /sarcasm

compared to other GBA flashcards the everdrive GBA has a few advantages: RTC, fast loading, no patching etc., plus there was only one or two alternatives still being produced.

These features justify the premium price for some people but current DS flashcards - of which there is an unholy ammount available for cheap - are pretty much feature complete. There is rarely anything that krikzz can improve upon here and he would have a hard time competing against these cheaper cards.