Author Topic: Save game deleted after I turn off the NES  (Read 5531 times)

Offline warriorXIV

• View Profile
Save game deleted after I turn off the NES
« on: August 19, 2016, 03:02 AM »
Just got my N8 today in the mail and loaded on some ROMs I want to play through games such as Zelda II, Startropics, Final Fantasy III (english patch) all these games use in game save files but my everdrive is not saving my game  :'(

I've been having problems with my gameplay progress getting deleted every time I power off the NES and turn it back on. Also if I switch games without powering off the NES my progress on the last game gets wiped.

I played final fantasy III for a while saving in-game (my save state in the everdrive N8 menu is disabled) then I tried a different game & when I went back to FF3 my list of safe files was blank and I lost my progress.  :o

I was under the impression that I can save my game on the cart & I shut down the NES & come back on the next day I could load my save as if it was the original cart without any save states.

Please help is the the way the Everdrive N8 is supposed to function or am I doing something wrong?

Offline MP2E

• Famicom Fiend
    • View Profile
Re: Save game deleted after I turn off the NES
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 04:09 AM »
That's odd! I have saved in a fair few games and they seem to be working. Perhaps the CR2032 watch battery inside the Everdrive has died? In that case, purchasing another is inexpensive to replace it.

Basically the way that saves work(from what I can tell) is that the SRAM is written to which is powered by the battery, when you turn off the console and turn it on later the SRAM is then copied to a file on the Everdrive which is loaded back into SRAM when you select that game. So no battery, no saves to work with..

Offline warriorXIV

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 04:30 AM »
I'll try to explain in more detail what is happening, after a lot of trouble shooting I found that my save will stay in-game when I press start on the gamepad when the N8 menu opens.

Even if the NES was turned off it will load the game with my save but I have to press Start.

So as soon as I change games or choose "Sel. And Start" or "Select Only" in the file menu it loads a fresh copy of the game as if I've never made a save file.

I don't see any other way of changing games other then using "Sel. And Start".

How do I open a game so my safe file is not lost? the only option I see right now is to never change the game and make sure to only press start when the N8 main menu pops up or else I will lose everything.

You are saying this is not normal and I should be able to select any game with "Sel. And Start" and continue where I left off?

Is my old savegame stored in the sdcard somewhere even if I don't use save states? I see 5 files with the same name in the SAVE folder and have no idea what that means, what is "File To SRAM" & "SRAM To File"?

Offline MP2E

• Famicom Fiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 05:38 PM »
Alright, thanks for the further info, that throws out my old theory.

So, SRAM is a memory chip on the Everdrive, a typical game like Zelda would have an SRAM chip for its save, so the Everdrive just gives the game access to SRAM and normally when selecting a different game in the Everdrive menu, copies the contents of SRAM to a file on the sd card for future use. It sounds like the SRAM is functioning normally but for some reason the Everdrive OS is not copying it to a file on your SD card as it should. (Which would be why pressing start would still work)

Perhaps try copying your files off and reformatting the sd card, try another sd card if that doesn't work!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 07:16 PM by MP2E »

Offline warriorXIV

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 08:12 PM »
It had to be the wrong SD card, I got it working so in-game saves stay  ;)

I had to buy multiple SD cards and formatting them in different ways. Smaller allocation size worked better :o

Don't buy Lexar SD cards they game me the most problems constant error codes 62,63,64 & saves not working correctly.

Offline warriorXIV

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2016, 01:22 AM »
If anyone is wondering what I bought the SanDisk Ultra 80MB/s 16GB SDcard works perfect for me.

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2016, 09:03 AM »
A similar thing happened to me and it was the SD card write protection mechanism  :P
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL