Author Topic: Compatibility with RetroUSB's AVS??  (Read 29270 times)

Offline leonquest

• View Profile
Re: Compatibility with RetroUSB's AVS??
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2016, 01:51 AM »
I just received my AVS yesterday and haven't encountered any issues with my N8. Expansion audio works and sounds good (variable expansion volume is nice) and no crashes/freezes like I get with my Analogue Nt (tested SMB2USA and Ninja Gaiden 3, among others).
You mention expansion audio. Does Retro USB have its own expansion audio support or does it rely on the N8?

Analog to Digital passthrough, meaning it does rely on whatever the cart can do. In other words, no translated Lagrange Point on your N8 for now. Unless you are willing to play without audio, but who in god's creation would do that with such an outstanding OST.
Everdrive64 V3 - SD2Snes rev. f - Everdrive N8 fami - MegaEd X3 - PS IO

On my wishlist:
Everdrive GBA - EDGB X3 - Saturn Satisfier

Offline thecavalry

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2016, 11:45 AM »
Having used my AVS for two weeks now and played with updating firmware and testing various cartridges there are some issues with how the Everdrive N8 and AVS interact that I am starting to see. Castlevania 3 worked just fine out of the box on the AVS and on all firmwares up to 1.20b3 confirmed via Everdrive. However I am now experiences problems with the Everdrive. It plays everything else I throw at it just fine except these two games:

On firmware 1.20b4/5 Akumajou Densetsu expansion audio is all jacked up and there is a persistent graphic glitch along the top bar of the screen while playing. Rolling back to 1.20b3 fixes both of these issues.

After updating to 1.20b5 I tested Castlevania 3 via Everdrive and actual Cartridge. My Castlevania 3 cartridge loads and plays fine on AVS. Everdrive Castlevania 3 has graphic glitches everywhere, and graphic scrolling appears to not even be functional. You can't see where any of the level is. Reverting back to older firmwares does not fix this issue. Even back to AVS 1.10.

I have tried reformatting and reloading all my roms and os software for the Everdrive. I tried everdrive OS v12 and v13. I have tried multiple SD cards and the ROMs from four different sources. Originally working was the smokemonster romset, but this CV3 rom is now glitchy also on the AVS. Tried GoodNES, no-intro, etc... all without any change in the graphic/scrolling glitches. The ROMs and Everdrive all do work on my AV Famicom without the same graphics problems. So I know for sure the issue lies with how the AVS and Everdrive are interacting.

Can anyone else confirm these issues? One user on Nintendoage confirmed the issue with Akumajou Densetsu, but did not test CV3. Anyone know of a fix? Is this something that can be patched on the Everdrive side?

Everdrive N8-NES version
V1.4N
OS v13
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 11:50 AM by thecavalry »

Offline hunterk

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2016, 05:20 PM »
Is this something that can be patched on the Everdrive side?
If the games worked at one point and then stopped working after an AVS firmware update, I think you would want to take it up with Bunnyboy/RetroUSB rather than Krikzz.

EDIT: where can you download the beta firmwares? Is there a changelog available?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 05:22 PM by hunterk »

Offline MP2E

• Famicom Fiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2016, 05:56 PM »
Latest betas get posted here http://retrousb.com/downloads/

The changelog is as follows http://retrousb.com/downloads/AVSchanges.txt

Unfortunately it's a little bit vague and only mentions overall changes from v1.10, so no regression fixes from beta to beta are listed
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 06:02 PM by MP2E »

Offline thecavalry

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2016, 07:28 PM »
Is this something that can be patched on the Everdrive side?
If the games worked at one point and then stopped working after an AVS firmware update, I think you would want to take it up with Bunnyboy/RetroUSB rather than Krikzz.

EDIT: where can you download the beta firmwares? Is there a changelog available?

I think its still valid to ask as the MMC5 mapper support on Everdrive is still only partially supported. And with hi def nes we got an update for firmware to fix some issues. AVS is more numerous than hi def nes at this point in units sold and will be a widely used fpga solution by Everdrive owners.

I think it deserves a look on the everdrive side to stay competitive with the powerpak, which does work on all firmwares for these games.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 07:30 PM by thecavalry »

Offline thecavalry

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2016, 07:51 AM »
AVS Firmware 1.20b6 seems to have fixed the previous issues with Castlevania 3 and Akumajou Densetsu. Make sure you update and take a look at those beautiful palette options!

Offline Odin Belmont

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2016, 05:02 PM »
I just received my AVS console and trying to play Castlevania 3. I can't seem to save on the everdrive n8?  Other games seem fine, but not that one?

I updated the AVS firmware too and it's still the same?  Is this a known issue?

Thanks

« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 05:23 PM by Odin Belmont »

Offline MP2E

• Famicom Fiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2016, 09:20 AM »
I just received my AVS console and trying to play Castlevania 3. I can't seem to save on the everdrive n8?  Other games seem fine, but not that one?

Thanks
According to krikzz's compatibility listing on the Everdrive n8 product page, MMC5 and VRC6 do not have save state support, which are the boards used in Castlevania III, depending which region you were playing

Maybe it's possible that these could be added in a future Everdrive update, but the mappers are more complex so maybe not..
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 01:26 PM by MP2E »

Offline Odin Belmont

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2016, 02:58 PM »

Thanks
According to krikzz's compatibility listing on the Everdrive n8 product page, MMC5 and VRC6 do not have save state support, which are the boards used in Castlevania III, depending which region you were playing

Maybe it's possible that these could be added in a future Everdrive update, but the mappers are more complex so maybe not..

I hope to see atleast this game fixed in a future update?  Cheers for the info
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 03:01 PM by Odin Belmont »

Offline MP2E

• Famicom Fiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2016, 07:30 AM »
Would be nice! Castlevania III is a fun game, savestates would be useful for speedruns :)

Offline easper

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2017, 04:49 PM »
Got my N8 yesterday and it's amazing! I tested CV3 and got graphical glitches even after updating my AVS to v1.20b6. I see now that there is a b7. Has anyone tried it out? Anything new added? I didn't mess around too much with CV3 so I'm not giving up hope yet.

Offline leonquest

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2017, 06:56 PM »
Got my N8 yesterday and it's amazing! I tested CV3 and got graphical glitches even after updating my AVS to v1.20b6. I see now that there is a b7. Has anyone tried it out? Anything new added? I didn't mess around too much with CV3 so I'm not giving up hope yet.

Make sure you turn off extra sprites. Also, b7 is required to fix a bug with CV3.

On my wishlist:

Offline easper

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2017, 11:28 PM »

Make sure you turn off extra sprites. Also, b7 is required to fix a bug with CV3.

This is perfect. I'll give both of those a try. Thanks!

Offline KittenGrindr

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2017, 01:05 AM »
I need to ask, I've been trying to get my Everdrive N8 to work with my AVS for the past week. I've formatted, reloaded, tried other cards, made sure the AVS system was up to date everything I can think of to get it to work to no avail. I get stuck on the 'OS Init...' screen.

I did notice that in the video the 'SAVES' folder is outside of the 'EDFC' folder, could that be what I'm missing.

Offline leonquest

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2017, 11:35 PM »
I need to ask, I've been trying to get my Everdrive N8 to work with my AVS for the past week. I've formatted, reloaded, tried other cards, made sure the AVS system was up to date everything I can think of to get it to work to no avail. I get stuck on the 'OS Init...' screen.

I did notice that in the video the 'SAVES' folder is outside of the 'EDFC' folder, could that be what I'm missing.

1. There's no reason why your evedrive wouldn't work on the AVS, which OS version are you using on both the everdrive and AVS? make sure you have the latest for both, and follow the installation instructions to the letter for both.

2. Test with different microSD, perhaps thats the issue.

3. Make sure your everdrive works on real hardware.

4. Test your AVS with real carts.

5. Did you buy your everdrive directly from Kkrikz.com?

On my wishlist: